• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirm ID Request - Ladder-backed Woodpecker? Round Rock, TX, US (3 Viewers)

I've been poking around a bunch and have found many great shots of each (red-bellied and golden-fronted) on Flickr and one thing I've noticed is that golden-fronted seem to have speckled feathers around their legs and rumps, too. Check this one out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimscarff/3615222890/

I've got another picture from today. I really pushed the color-saturation up and the color on the crown of the head looks more orange than red to me, but the tree trunk is now showing a little yellow tint to it so I am not sure that the orange/red difference is reliable. if I adjust colors to make the tree less yellowy then the birds white feathers start to turn blue-ish. So I am not sure if what I am doing is the slightest bit useful.

Also, I obviously didn't make good on my decision to leave the bird alone! However I used a longer lens (300mm instead of 250) and was further from the bird and didn't appear to be bothering it very much.

Please let me know if my growing obsession on this bird ever gets annoying here. Otherwise I am going to keep trying to get at least one good shot that shows top and back of head.

Attachments

• IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 65
Apparently I am not giving up on IDing this bird! I got some more pictures today showing the top of the head, finally! I now see distinct red(or orange) on the crown and yellow on the nape. I also heard it call but when listening to samples on allaboutbirds golden-fronted and red-bellied sound very similar. I think mine might have sounded more like red-bellied but to be honest the similarity has me unable to really commit to picking one or the other.

Do these pictures provide any better idea as to the bird's ID?

Attachments

• woodp-01.JPG
    woodp-01.JPG
    394.4 KB · Views: 60
  • woodp-02.JPG
    woodp-02.JPG
    391.1 KB · Views: 59
  • woodp-03.JPG
    woodp-03.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 55
  • woodp-04.JPG
    woodp-04.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 57
  • woodp-05.JPG
    woodp-05.JPG
    197.2 KB · Views: 62
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back