• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirmation please... blackwit? (9 Viewers)

Hi Woody,

Nice photo! Are you still using the second hand camera (Canon?) you had at the BF Elmley Bash? If so it's really proved a bargain and you've really got the hang of this digiscoping business! BTW I understand your reservations about your id. question - the amount of expertise on the forum these days is a bit daunting but as the responses to your thread have shown the non-elitist and amazingly helpful BF ethos still prevails! I'm looking forward to seeing some id shots of a blackwit and a barwit side by side with the correct size fonts superimposed on their legs showing the difference...

James, nice to hear from you. I'm still using the ebay camera, (it's a nikon cp990 btw) and I hope to get to grips with the digiscoping thing one day but I think I need a better scope. The only problem is I'd have to sell one of the kids to pay for it!

As for the comparison shot I'll see what I can do!

Woody

Hi Woody,

Did you go down to Oare this weekend?? - seem to recall you saying that you went quite often on a Sunday.

I was thinking of going myself, but chores got the better of me :C

All the best.... Ruby

Hi Ruby, no I didn't get to Oare - My mate and I went to Hucking estate instead in the hope of photographing some nuthatches but they didn't show so it's either Elmley or Oare next sunday.

I was there the week before though and saw a kingfisher in possibly exactly the same place as your photo. Sadly he didn't hang about but the quest is still on!

Woody

Hi Woody,

Good luck with your expedition next week - both very nice places aren't they....

I'm off to Dorset next weekend myself, which will be great, but maybe slightly frustrating.... We're staying in a nice country cottage in prime birding territory but the other people that I'm going with aren't that interested in birds.... We'll probably do a few walks where I'm lagging several hundred yards behind, trying to identify that mysterious wader through my BINs!!

As regards the Oare KF.... Go through the first gate on your left that leads to the little old hide.... KF was perched on the first fence overlooking the flooded ditch.
Dopey me didn't see him until it was too late, but he only flew as far as the 2nd fence, where the photo was taken. Seen KF there quite a few times, so maybe it's a bit of a favoured spot....

The other place that I've seen one perched is on the posts down to the left of the boat slipway....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back