• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Confirming male & female of Wallace's Hawk-Eagle, Borneo (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Date: December 2022

In reference to my older post of Wallace's Hawk-Eagle pair (Male & Female Wallace's Hawk-Eagle? Sarawak, Malaysian Borneo), I have found new pair at different location with almost fledging chick.

I would like to confirm if I got it right which is Female and which is Male. Also I would like to check and confirming if the darker chest stripes with darker facial is male as I observed in previous pair. One method to tell is by its size (female larger) as mentioned in older post ID by @James Eaton .

Older Post (for comparison here). As because only female incubating the eggs (if I got this right), therefore, the Bird #1 confirmed is female as I saw it incubating in the nest. Here can see the darker chest stripes on male (bird #2) with also darker facial.

PIC-20221007-105845-DSC01620-A7R3.JPG

This is the new pair at different location. Taken during roosting time (on nesting tree). Judging by the size, it looks like Left bird is larger in some shots but I may got it wrong due to inexperience or angle effect or fluff up features. In some shots, they looks quite similar size though. There are 2 differences I've noticed, Left Bird; (1) has darker chest stripes and darker facial, (2) the stripes on its legs are more contrasty.

Wonder if I may got the sizes wrong, which making the Left bird as male instead?

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg 07.jpg

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks, have a wonderful New Year.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back