• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Congrats Paul Jarvis !!!!! (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
I would like to invite everyone to offer their congrats to my brother Paul Jarvis who was informed not long ago that he had won the Nikon "Digiscoped Photo of the Year" category for the WWT Martin Mere reserve.

He will now go through to the national judging in competition with the best digiscoped shots from the other 8 WWT reserves and could win a Nikon 82mm ED angled scope which he will promptly give to me!!!! ;)

If anyone in the area would like to congratulate him in person he will be at a presentation at Martin Mere WWT tomorrow, time to be announced shortly.

Congrats bro and best of luck, bring home that scope!
Adam

EDIT: The presentation will be around 11.30-12.00 if anyone is at the centre around then and we'll be birding afterwards too! The national judging will take place on the 18th Sept in London.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has congratulated me, I now have a day in London at the centre there for the national judging and should get to meet Chris Packam and the other finalists.

Thanks Adrian for the rules bit, I like that.

Sorry about the two threads for those who are confused (sorry Christine!). I was unsure where to put it and knew that some people view different forums so I thought why not both. If the mods want they can merge it into a single thread either here or in the Digiscoping Forum (the latter being better I think).

Just a further point, anyone visiting Martin Mere at the moment can view the entries submitted on display in the Lecture Hall (walk through the cafe to get to it). One snag is that there were so many entries that the photos on display will be changed according to how late they were submitted. So all the entries that were submitted well in advance of the deadline will most likely have been swapped already. Mine and Paul's photos were submitted at the very last possible minute so will be on display now or soon.

Thanks all (especially those who agree I should have the scope ;) ).
His agent, PR guy and authorised biographer ;) Adam

EDIT: HERE HE IS! Oh and he's already won one prize as you can see.

Attachments

• Thewinnerhimself.jpg
    Thewinnerhimself.jpg
    342.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Took me a little bit to find the pic but it was worth the search: a great-looking pose of Sandpiper! :t: :clap:

I hope you are lucky, Paul, I will cross all my fingers for you! ;)

And you, Jaff, your lack of "unselfishness" in your brother getting the prize is very praiseworthy! :'D :t: (you, impossible young man, keep making me laugh!)

Cheers both! :cat:

Just to update on events.

Paul did not win the scope unfortunately. All the details plus all the winning images from all reserves can be found here
http://www.wwt.org.uk/gallery/633/winning_photographs_wwt_nikon_competition.html

On the plus side we had a great time at WWT Barnes in London with the Martin Mere winner of the general photo category Jeff and his son, very nice place, certainly has a post-modern feel to it. ;) In the evening we got free wine and nibbles had a good chat with some great people plus a few tips from the judges on how to win next year's comp! :-O We had a brief chat with Chris Packham, Kate Humble was also there by chance for a meeting (they are both vice-presidents of WWT) and joined in the festivities but we were too |8.| to talk to her! Anyway I'm sure we'll see her around Martin Mere come Autumnwatch.

On the way home we were treated to a motorway services Burger King by our wonderful chapperone/chauffeur Victoria as we hadn't had a proper tea. All in all a fantastic experience, here's hoping one of us can win again next year! ;)

Adam.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back