• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Continental Europe escapee - Fulvous Whistling-Duck in CH (1 Viewer)

AlexC

Aves en Los Ángeles
Opus Editor
Saw and photographed a Fulvous Whistling-Duck on Lake Lugano in Switzerland today - I did some digging online and found years of photos of a bird at the same location - assumedly this same individual. I'm interested if anyone has information on the frequency of escapee Fulvous Whistling-Ducks in Europe. Not countable, by my take.

Saw one on a small creek just short of the sea near Prestatyn (north Wales), ermm, 10 - 15 years back. Can't be any more specific I'm afraid, but it gets the ball rolling...

James

Compared to other duck species are these quite common in captivity? I'm not sure I've ever seen one in captivity.

There's a nice little flock on Teneriffe on one of the golf courses - considered to be escapees, although don't know if their origin was ever fully confirmed.

Don't know if there are any extralimital records from the Med/N Africa

A pair of unknown origin (but no doubt escapes) were present at Abbotsbury, Dorset in the early 80's and they reared at least one brood. One was still present into the late 80's,

Steve.

Did some digging on ornitho.ch, Alex. Your bird is present since February 2009! In the last 5 years single birds were seen at six locations in Switzerland.
They are commonly kept in captivity.
The Ticino is well known for category E birds. I once saw a Green Jay near Locarno!

André

btw, what does the CH in the thread title refer to?

CH = Confoederatio Helvetica = Switzerland ;)

(and an educational bit: For historical reasons, Switzerland's official name is still the "Swiss Confederation". In Latin this is Confoederatio Helvetica, from which the country's international abbreviation, CH, is derived. However, this is in fact a misnomer: a confederation is an alliance of autonomous entities. Since 1848 Switzerland has been a federation: a grouping of entities with a central authority.
The word Helvetica refers to the Helvetians, one of the many Celtic tribes living in what is now Switzerland at the time of the Roman conquest.
)

André

Last edited:

(and an educational bit: For historical reasons, Switzerland's official name is still the "Swiss Confederation". In Latin this is Confoederatio Helvetica, from which the country's international abbreviation, CH, is derived. However, this is in fact a misnomer: a confederation is an alliance of autonomous entities. Since 1848 Switzerland has been a federation: a grouping of entities with a central authority.
The word Helvetica refers to the Helvetians, one of the many Celtic tribes living in what is now Switzerland at the time of the Roman conquest.
)

André

I reckon Dan was hoping it stood for CHeese, mmm, smell that fondue bubbling away;)

)

André

Nice one, André, and for Dan's further elucidation, that's why 'CH' appears on Swiss vehicles' nationality plate...:t:
MJB

Nice one, André, and for Dan's further elucidation, that's why 'CH' appears on Swiss vehicles' nationality plate...:t:
MJB

That's as far as my knowledge went prior to André's explanation CH is for Switzerland as D is for Deutschland etc.;)

CHeers Andre.

After posting I had an inkling CH might be on the number plates - but never having driven further east in mainland Europe than France, didn't know for sure. Helvetica rings a bell from Asterix, although might just be imagining that.

Last edited:
CHeers Andre.

After posting I had an inkling CH might be on the number plates - but never having driven further west in mainland europe than France, didn't know for sure. Helvetica rings a bell from Asterix, although might just be imagining that.

No you didn't imagine it Dan, Astérix in Switzerland (1973) is titled 'Astérix chez les Helvètes' in French, a corking yarn involving Astérix and Obelix going to the Alps to search for an Edelweiss, needed for one of Panoramix's potions.................... As you can probably tell, it's a quiet birding day here today :-C

There's worse things one could be doing than genning up on a bit of Asterix or Tintin ... I'm cooking dinner and meant to be doing lots of Very Important Paperwork.

(Investigating Fulvous and chapter on wandering Whistling Ducks might be a slightly more worthwhile pursuit mind).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back