• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cooper's Hawk or Sharp-Shinned Hawk? (1 Viewer)

frejaya

Hi!

I think this might be a sharp-shinned hawk, but a more experienced birder than me said they had seen the same bird just before me and thought it was a cooper's hawk.

I need another opinion so I can log this one! :) It really looks like an immature sharp-shinned hawk to me., but I'm new at this.

It's the same bird, front and back. It was very exciting, the hawk started up on a perch and then flew down so close to us in a tree!

Henderson Bird Viewing Preserver near Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

Attachments

• 2019-01-13 09_38_37-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    2019-01-13 09_38_37-Photo - Google Photos.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 105
  • 2019-01-13 09_40_22-Photo - Google Photos.png
    2019-01-13 09_40_22-Photo - Google Photos.png
    166.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
That is a young Cooper's Hawk with the thin breast streaking, bulky and long body, and blocky head. Sharp-shinneds are more compact and they have rounder heads with larger eyes (they often look bug-eyed) and blotchier streaking with an orange tint.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back