• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corn bunting or Linnet? (Wallasea Island, UK) (1 Viewer)

@nickderry: the bird in your photo looks like its just had a bath? I was wondering whether it had been raining when the original photos were taken (which would make the birds' plumage appear darker).

What an interesting thread! I opened the photo and instantly thought 'Corn Bunting' but was then surprised to read the ensuing debate. Some are 'instantly' seeing Reed Bunting it seems.

Apart from the features already outlined above (which presumably fail to convince the pro-Reed camp) has no-one noticed that neither bird has white outer tail feathers (which would be clearly visible from underneath if they were present)? This clinches Corn Bunting for me.

What an interesting thread! I opened the photo and instantly thought 'Corn Bunting' but was then surprised to read the ensuing debate. Some are 'instantly' seeing Reed Bunting it seems.

Apart from the features already outlined above (which presumably fail to convince the pro-Reed camp) has no-one noticed that neither bird has white outer tail feathers (which would be clearly visible from underneath if they were present)? This clinches Corn Bunting for me.

Agreed.

I agree, an interesting thread indeed & just goes to show how close you have to look at these pics to make sure you are seeing what you think you're seeing. Certainly a Corn Bunting for me too.

Ok i have not read all of the text but am surprised no one have yet thought of Yellowhammer ? (looked at the last three pics of the Emberiza in Q, the rump is not redish enough)

Sorry for that. When i now read it all and again looked i support CB. Pic when one can see the throat with the CB spots.

But after a quick look on the net it is impossible for CB to have white in tailfeathers i go back to my bear cave for a over-the-winter-sleep...

Last edited:
Ok i have not read all of the text but no one have yet thought of Yellowhammer ? (look at the last three pics of the Emberiza in Q, nut maybe the rump is not redish enpugh)

The tail seems quite short for Yellowhammer and I think the white outer tail feathers would also be visible in some shots, as with Reed Bunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back