• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrakes - Mull (1 Viewer)

Iona is the best place to see them and according to the 2007 report they arrive late April and the best time to see them is early May before the iris beds grow fully.

A good spot to see them on Iona is if you turn left from the ferry pier, along the lane past the fire station.

I've had good views in the field just beyond the fire station.

Regards,
Irene

Irene's right. You can also walk up the hill from ferry, turn left through gate and you are then above same field - we had them in field and in garden of bungalow opposite.

You'll hear them almost as soon as you get off the ferry. We were there early June and the cover was a bit deep but still got good views then.

Have fun!

Do people photograph them on Iona? I have seen pics on birdguides from the site, but they are sched 1 and this is their breeding site.

I'm not sure what the position is as I have seen photographers and digiscopers taking images.

What also happens sometimes is that I've seen birders who have no patience hover for a while by the iris beds at the abbey, and then eventually walk through them so they can force the bird to show itself and get their tick quickly - schedule 1 bird or not! I got so fed up with arguing with people, that's partly why I prefer to watch them elsewhere on the island as there seems to be less disturbance. Also the field by the fire station is enclosed and the idiots can't get in there to flush the birds.

Irene

Thanks for the responses I went to Iona last year so I know my way around the magical island. I was going to arrange a safari on day one on Mull. I think there are four operators - any recommendations?

Marcus

I am going to Mull on 2 May, returning on 9 May. If you want to give me a bell - number in PM - I'll let you know how we went on with crex crex. We are going out for the day with Wild about Mull, don't know anything about them the place we are staying recommended them, apparently they concentrate on the southern end of the island.

Regards

Phil

i did a day tour with wild about mull in october and enjoyed it very much

i've seen good feedback for at least two of the other operators as well so i think you'll be fine whoever you go with

If you haven't already got one,get hold of a copy of Isle of Mull Bird Report, it list all the birding spots on the island and what you are most likely to see.If you've not got one go to the Spar shop opposite the Craignure ferry terminal,they sell them.

I'm going to Mull for a day trip (possibly Monday 11th) from Oban. I doubt I will be able to get over to Iona, and have seen vague references to Corncrake being seen on Mull itself. Is this accurate or are they just reports from Iona? Basically what's the chance of seeing a Corncrake on Mull? We left it too late to book anywhere to stay on Mull so Raptors on Mull are my main targets, Corncrake would be nice, but will probably have to wait until next year.

I'm going to Mull for a day trip (possibly Monday 11th) from Oban. I doubt I will be able to get over to Iona, and have seen vague references to Corncrake being seen on Mull itself. Is this accurate or are they just reports from Iona? Basically what's the chance of seeing a Corncrake on Mull? We left it too late to book anywhere to stay on Mull so Raptors on Mull are my main targets, Corncrake would be nice, but will probably have to wait until next year.

Go to Iona an you will get the CC. We did a day trip from Aviemore to Yorkshire via Iona, it took 23 hours! You can get them elsewhere such as near Fionport. If you get the first and last boats you should clean up if the weather is good.

I was going to arrange a safari on day one on Mull. I think there are four operators - any recommendations?

Discover Mull with Pam and Arthur Brown - based in the North but tour all over North / Central area - brilliant day out, good food, company, and excellent local knowledge without charging back and forth as some of the operators do. They will poll the customers and go where you want. All my 'target species' (birds and mammals) seen and an excellent introduction to the Island. I can't praise them highly enough!

Views can range from the sublime - we saw one in the middle of afore mentioned bungalow's lawn (couldn't photo it as it would have meant pointing right at the residents window) to the ridiculous.

We never saw the Ffionport birds but did hear them inland of the campsite at.....

I think I can safely claim two of the least impressive Corncrake photos in existence!

Attachments

• Corncrake (1).jpg
    Corncrake (1).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Corncrake (2).jpg
    Corncrake (2).jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 198
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back