• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornell Orinthology: Be a Better Birder course (1 Viewer)

afk314

Hi all,

I'm new to birding and would like to start my education with some tutorials which would give me a good basic platform to begin learning more. Cornell Ornithology has two online tutorial classes (not the full Biology course) which can be studied at home. Each one is $29. Not too much to spend, but in this day and age where reviews of products and services are everywhere - I want to know if anyone has taken one of these two courses and if they would recommend it. So, if you have taken the Size and Shape class or the Color and Pattern course - please let me know your thoughts!

Thanks,
Adam

Adam, I have not taken these courses but suggest you take a look on YouTube as there are a number of really good videos of bird identification. Just type in birding or bird identification into the search box.

I took the Bird Biology home study course and completed it a few years ago. I really got a lot out of it. Once you've gotten your feet wet with a few of these tutorials maybe you can jump right in to the basic bird biology course. I took the course when I was new to bird watching and very glad I did. It covers just about everything and this knowledge will help you appreciate and understand better the birds you are viewing in the field. I highly recommend this course. I have the book at home (it's huge) and want to do a refresher; read each chapter again to try and drill the main concepts and general info into my brain (I have a poor memory). I would like to go back through the whole book again this year.

Last edited:
Adam, I have not taken these courses but suggest you take a look on YouTube as there are a number of really good videos of bird identification. Just type in birding or bird identification into the search box.

And take your birding... to the next level. I think that's what they say anyway. These are actually quite good videos and I think they potentially could do something along those lines.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back