• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (5 Viewers)

Had Oystercatchers feeding in the playing field of Falmouth school the other night. Luckily the lights were on red affording me longer viewing

Is this a regular occurence Dan?

Hi Simon,
Fairly normal I think, we get them on the Morrisons roundabout on the A30 coming in to Penzance. Had Lapwing and Golden Plover on there during the recent hard weather and it's a good place for Med Gulls early autumn as well.
Dave

Hi Simon,
Fairly normal I think, we get them on the Morrisons roundabout on the A30 coming in to Penzance. Had Lapwing and Golden Plover on there during the recent hard weather and it's a good place for Med Gulls early autumn as well.
Dave

Yeah - just wondered. Having passed the place twice a day every day on my way to work i thought i would have noticed them before (which i havent). Maybe i need to open my eyes a bit more.

The Penryn rugby pitch by ASDA's, Simon, had a Laughing Gull briefly several years ago and it regularly gets Curlew and the odd Med Gull. These open green spots are all worth checking if passing by regularly.

That roundabout near Penzance has had Oyks on it every single time I've passed!

78 Curlew this morning on the playing field at 9:45 am (none earlier). (Plus a Blackcap in the hedge and I think at least two 'tacking' in the bushes on the opposite side of the road.)

To clarify; I've passed twice a day since September myself, usually in daylight hours, and seen Oystercatchers on maybe half a dozen occasions. There is a sign up saying dog walkers will be videod on CCTV, and could be prosecuted, but the corner of the field does have a footpath running across it and so it will be disturbed at times.

Whooper swan showing AMAZINGLY well today at Drift.
Also Barnacle Geese in field, left of path between Dam and Hide.
All 400mm, uncropped
Whooper3.jpgWhooper-2-Drift.jpgWhooper-Drift.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics Ash!

To add to Ilya's blog- Don't rely wholly on Collins for an id, the plates aren't too accurate. Luckily this bird is quite distinctive when seen next to collybita and the call is very different!

Last edited:
6 Common Goldeneye this morning on Dozmary Pool, plus 7 Pochard, 12 Tufted Duck, 3 Eurasian Wigeon, 8 Eurasian Teal and 1 male Northern Shoveler.
Male Black Redstart, 2 Blackcap and 4 Siskin at Glen Road Wadebridge.

Cetti's warbler yesterday morning in a bush on the coastal path adjoining St Ives station car park.It was showing[and singing really well]--Typically i did'nt have my camera with me!!!
Later in the day--A Black Redstart on the rocks at Lamorna Cove--[plus Rock Pipits]

Godrevy and Gwithian

Water Rail on wet flush by far parking area at Godrevy this morning.

St Gothian Sands LNR - Black Redstart on bank of main pool on Sandsifter side and Gadwall 7 (3 drakes), Shoveler 6 (1 drake), Wigeon 2 (1 drake), Tufted Duck 12 (10 drakes) on main pool.

A mate (or something like that) from up country was just down for a few days and picked out an interesting bird yesterday in the 150+ Wigeon at College Reservoir. Presumed male hybrid backcross (considerably more Wigeon than American Wigeon).

Showed a pinky salmon suffusion to the grey flank sides, small green eyepatch on a browner head than Wigeon, and a whiter front patch than normal. Interesting, subtle, but noticeable once seen. Completely failed to get any recognisable photographic images.

(Other birds in vicinity -single female Shoveler still present, couple of Pochard. 3 Med Gulls bathing on Argal mid morning were nice, 2 ad and 1 1st winter with 60 or so BH Gulls, seen no sign of Goosander there for weeks now...)

Last edited:
Could well be (I was unaware there had been one locally, doh!), if the images which come up by googling are anything to go by;

hybrid pics 1 and hybrid pics 2 at Stithians.

Seemed to have a smaller distinct green patch to my recollection, but it was strong sunlight, and I could well be wrong.

Odds on, yes, and hence maybe a true hybrid rather than a backcross ...

A mate (or something like that) from up country was just down for a few days and picked out an interesting bird yesterday in the 150+ Wigeon at College Reservoir. Presumed male hybrid backcross (considerably more Wigeon than American Wigeon).

There was a hybrid male Wigeon at College Res on sporadic dates in the winters of 2007+2008. Could be the same bird returning Dan.

Dowitcher species, again today at Maer Lake; some features pointing to scolopaceus and others towards griseus ( The upper tail has more white than any other winter Long-billed that I have seen) and in my experience most Long-billed readily call in flight, in the last two days I have watched this Dowitcher in flight at least 7 times with no flight call.

Other birds at Maer this morning included 2 Water Pipit, 1 Jack Snipe and 2 adult Med Gulls.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    253.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0305.jpg
    IMG_0305.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    182.4 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 82
Dowitcher sp again at Maer Lake this morning, but not before 10:45. Other birds included 300+ Golden Plover, 26 Dunlin and 1 Adult Med Gull.

Lower Tamar Lake; Birds included 16 Goosander, 3 Northern Pintail, 1 Treecreeper, 2 Coal Tit, 3 Nuthatch, 4+ Willow Tit and at least one calling Marsh Tit.

Attachments

• IMG_2071.JPG
    IMG_2071.JPG
    149.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2058.JPG
    IMG_2058.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 49
Dowitcher sp again at Maer Lake this morning, but not before 10:45. Other birds included 300+ Golden Plover, 26 Dunlin and 1 Adult Med Gull.

Lower Tamar Lake; Birds included 16 Goosander, 3 Northern Pintail, 1 Treecreeper, 2 Coal Tit, 3 Nuthatch, 4+ Willow Tit and at least one calling Marsh Tit.

Great photos there Colin. How are you getting so close to these birds? Are you using a hide?

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back