• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall Birding (7 Viewers)

Thanks Colin. Any photos of the Gyr??!

I WISH!! I don't know about you Andy but these day's I find it increasingly difficult to decide what hat to wear, if I choose to carry a telescope and tripod I'm guaranteed to be faced by many unrepeatable photographic opportunities, if I carry the camera the opposite is the norm. Suppose it's because I'm a man, unable to multitask (or sometimes even carry the stuff) there is something relaxing about leaving the camera at home, apart from the nagging feelings of guilt if you happen to miss something good. In the case of Maer Gyr fly-by, I simply enjoyed this rare sighting of a hybrid Snowy Owl/Fulmar! it more than made up for standing in the freezing wind and rain for hours searching for the elusive Dowitcher.
Colin

I know exactly what you mean Colin and I always have the same dilemma. I suppose I'm a birder first and an opportunist photographer second. These days I often take the camera and carry my little lightweight Nikon scope in my pocket, especially if I'm with Dougy and he is carrying his scope. But the only real option is to hire a porter.

What lens are you using?

I like the Snowy Owl/Fulmar analogy!

I know exactly what you mean Colin and I always have the same dilemma. I suppose I'm a birder first and an opportunist photographer second. These days I often take the camera and carry my little lightweight Nikon scope in my pocket, especially if I'm with Dougy and he is carrying his scope. But the only real option is to hire a porter.

What lens are you using?

I like the Snowy Owl/Fulmar analogy!

The problem with these dam porters is, I need at least two to carry my kit ( Elf & Safety) and they always refuse to come into the hides preferring to stand outside smoking and grumbling about double time.
I use two lenses, Cannon EF300 1:4 L IS and Cannon 1:2.8 L IS USB usually with Extender 1.4.

Tamar Lakes this morning; birds included 12 Goosander, 2 Northern Pintail, 20 Common Snipe, 2 Willow Tit (photo first 2 below left) and 6 Marsh Tit! (below right 2)

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpg
    IMG_2322.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2346.JPG
    IMG_2346.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2417.JPG
    IMG_2417.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2389.JPG
    IMG_2389.JPG
    108.4 KB · Views: 72
Small flock of Bramblings in the wild flower meadow between Otter Bridge, Tehidy Country Park and Tehidy Park (old hospital grounds).

Yet another unidentified Gull today over Gribbin Head, showing sub-terminal white chevrons on primaries. My guess would be a Glaucous/Herring Gull hybrid, but it has a very short bill?

Attachments

• IMG_4444.JPG
    IMG_4444.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4441.jpg
    IMG_4441.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_4439.jpg
    IMG_4439.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 65
Below photos of 2 of the 4 Scandinavian Rock Pipit (Littoralis) Wednesday at Gribbin Head. One extreme! fresh spring individual, with under-parts pure white (no buff or pink tinge) just some diffuse streaking on flanks, no moustacial stripe or dark malar patch. Fresh tertials and central tail feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_4419 Gribbin.jpg
    IMG_4419 Gribbin.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4337Gribbin.jpg
    IMG_4337Gribbin.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Gribbin Head this morning; birds included 1 Scandinavian Rock Pipit, 1 Black Redstart and a Merlin.
Pair of Gadwall and 7 Wigeon at Polridmouth.

Attachments

• IMG_4933.JPG
    IMG_4933.JPG
    210.1 KB · Views: 54
Hoopoe near Lizard Village today I see.

Things are starting to arrive - not that many migrants in Cornwall yet though?

(edit: on the record front, 1 Scandinavian Rock Pipit, 4+ adult Med Gulls and a Whimbrel for me today at Pendennis point, Falmouth. I have a feeling however that the Whimbrel could be the overwintering bird seen a few times back in January ...? )

Last edited:
Went to Marazion Marsh hoping the Red-rumped Swallow was still there. It wasn't, but a very good substitute came along in the shape of an Alpine Swift.

I was at the new viewing area at the east end of the reserve when it came flying down the Red River valley and right over my head, giving great views. Unfortunately, it wasn't hanging around and continued to fly towards Marazion and beyond.

Went to Marazion Marsh hoping the Red-rumped Swallow was still there. It wasn't, but a very good substitute came along in the shape of an Alpine Swift.

I was at the new viewing area at the east end of the reserve when it came flying down the Red River valley and right over my head, giving great views. Unfortunately, it wasn't hanging around and continued to fly towards Marazion and beyond.
Email from Tim Lait: Alpine Swift, 50yrds from NCI watch-point on St.Ives Island at 1421hrs, viewed for c.4mins before heading NE, harried by Herring Gull (2) for c.30sec
What time did you see the Marazion bird?

Ash,

Man Utd v Liverpool had just kicked off when I arrived, that was 1:30pm. Then I suppose it took me half-an-hour to stroll down to the Eastern end and I was there for ten to fifteen minutes before the bird flew over, so 2:10 to 2:15pm say! Heading east over Marazion, although it seemed to have come from the north. Both sightings on Birdguides have times of 14:20, I don't know if that was the time sighted or the time it was phoned in!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back