• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cory’s Shearwaters “in the bay” at Caleta de Fuste. (2 Viewers)

KenM

Having only ever seen Cory’s Shearwaters
3-400m out…from the neck of the above bay, during July/Aug on previous visits and always Shearing N-South, or vice-versa.
Albeit having never seen them during December when most of my weekly visits have taken place over the years, I was somewhat surprised! to see them “in the bay” on a two-three day period at least, during 3 days of constant 30+knot winds.
My question in particularly is to birders that have visited over the years and have some form
for the site- is this normal post breeding dispersal for the species (particularly in rough weather), as seeing them within perhaps 200m of the beach, resting on the water and interacting amongst themselves was a “sight to behold for my unaccustomed eyes!

Attachments

• IMG_8950.jpeg
    IMG_8950.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_8949.jpeg
    IMG_8949.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8948.jpeg
    IMG_8948.jpeg
    863 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_8953.jpeg
    IMG_8953.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8955.jpeg
    IMG_8955.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8952.jpeg
    IMG_8952.jpeg
    837.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_8936.jpeg
    IMG_8936.jpeg
    963.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8932.jpeg
    IMG_8932.jpeg
    706 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_8917.jpeg
    IMG_8917.jpeg
    1,003.9 KB · Views: 34
I know that the humerus old adage goes
"careless talk costs reputations"
but doesn’t the extensive white in the primaries on picture 8955 suggest that this is a Scopol's Shearwater ?

I know that the humerus old adage goes
"careless talk costs reputations"
but doesn’t the extensive white in the primaries on picture 8955 suggest that this is a Scopol's Shearwater ?

That’s one of the reasons I included that particular underwing shot Mike, hopefully others might comment.
I don’t know that Cory’s would behave in the relatively confiding manner that these birds appeared to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back