• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove, Costa Rica, February (2 Viewers)

frogstar

Looking through my photos from Costa Rica Feb 2015, I came across a shot of a dove, and can't decide whether it's a Grey-chested Dove, Leptotila cassinii or a White-tipped Dove, Leptotila verreauxi. I was leaning towards the former but would appreciate some help. Thanks in advance
Kevin

7D2_2819.jpg

Only been to Costa Rica once, and that was this February
From the reading I did in advance I would guess at White-tipped Dove

Interesting our tour leader took us into a housing complex to show the bus driver a European Collared Dove

White-tipped. In Costa Rica, Panama this has bluish skin around the eye (as here): grey-chested has reddish. Both have white tail corners but they're more extensive on white-tipped. We can see some evidence of the tips here and can infer they're extensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back