• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica trip in March (1 Viewer)

Big City Birder

United States
Just a few easy questions as this is our first trip to CR.
We’re staying close to Cartago and will bird in that general area. For the beginning of March, are mosquitoes an issue? My online search says no but these bugs love me so I want to be prepared.
I’ve emailed a few guides and our hotel about booking a private guide but received no reply. Anyone have a guide they love for that area?
We are only there for 5 nights so want to maximize time but open to any suggested spots that aren’t too overrun with large birding groups.
Thank you!

I do not have direct information for you on the area, but want to remind you to check ebird hotspot map for what looks interesting and then possibly do a web search for those locations.
Regarding guide, maybe @Birdingcraft can help?
Niels

Re mosquitos/bugs: on any tropical trip plan on nylon pants and shoes instead of shorts or sandals most of the time. Bring repellent for the rest. You may or may not use it but it doesn’t weigh much and if you need it and don’t have it you’ll be a muxh unhapoier than carrying a 100ml bottle needlessly for a week or three.

Not a direct comparison but I was there for two weeks in February 2023 and can’t remember having any issues with mosquitoes, other than the very occasional nibble where I had missed applying insect repellent (so entirely my fault !). I wore walking boots to protect my feet and ankles but found shorts and lightweight cotton short sleeved shirts acceptable for most birding situations. I habitually wear a wide brimmed hat even in the relatively weak U.K. sun and that served well in Costa Rica

Users who are viewing this thread

Back