• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (25 Viewers)

Common sand 147 river fane...

Great photos Gerry, which Canon camera did you get?

Lots of Tern activity at Baltray with both Little Tern and Sandwich Terns whose numbers have increased over the last day or so to over 50. No further predation but we have started wardening at 4 am since Wed.

The terns should recover hopefully...

The Kilcoole colony has managed to recover miraculously given the constant attacks from Foxes, Rooks and the sea!!!!

140 adults, 67 nests, 106 eggs, and 41 chicks this morning!

Lets hope the weather holds out...a big proportion of chicks from the Dublin Port colony of Commic Terns were lost to the bad weather over the past week or two.

Regards,
Niall

camera

Great photos Gerry, which Canon camera did you get?

Lots of Tern activity at Baltray with both Little Tern and Sandwich Terns whose numbers have increased over the last day or so to over 50. No further predation but we have started wardening at 4 am since Wed.

A canon 450d with tamron 70-300mm f4-5.6.

A few shots from a recent trip to Amsterdam - aweful light - lesser spotted woodpecker the highlight...

Attachments

• lesser spotted pecker 2 kennemar 08.jpg
    lesser spotted pecker 2 kennemar 08.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 63
  • tree pipit kennemer.jpg
    tree pipit kennemer.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 58
  • redstart kennemer.jpg
    redstart kennemer.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 64
  • coot chicks amsterdam.jpg
    coot chicks amsterdam.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 53
  • redstart female kennemer.jpg
    redstart female kennemer.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 59
Little Tern Benefit Concert at Spirit Store, Dundalk

Louth Nature Trust in conjunction with the Spirit Store presents a benefit concert for the Little Tern Conservation Project at Baltray, which will take place in the Spirit Store, George's Quay, Dundalk, on Sunday 6th July 2008.

The concert aims to raise money to cover some of the substantial costs involved with the project.

An eclectic night of music and craic combining the classical talent of Mary Mc Cague and Ciaran Rosney, the traditional arrangements of Patrick Martin and the folksy bluegrass style of The French Fiddles, with surprise special guests throughout the night - all for the benefit of Ireland's rarest breeding seabird, the Little Terns at Baltray, Co Louth.

For further details see www.louthnaturetrust.org/benefit_concert

Tickets are available from the Spirit Store, and can be booked either online, by phoning the Spirit Store, or can be arranged by contacting myself or Breffni.

Clogherhead. Yesterday evening.

1 Balearic Shearwater
150 Manx Shearwater
50 Common guillemot
20 Black guillemot
15 Razorbill
1 Puffin
1 Redthroated diver
100 sandwich terns
30 common terns
12 arctic terns
32 gannets
40 Cormorants
2 drake Common Scoter

and 1 harbour porpoise

1 Carrion Crow on cruisetown beach

Balearic = Mediterranean = P. yelkouan, correct? There was at least one storm petrel off balaggan point this morning along with several hundred manxies...

Thanks Owen.

County Year List

160 Balearic Shearwater
161 Puffin

I was at Clogher Head myself today the best from 20 mins sea watching were 12 Manx Shearwater and 3 Storm Petrel.One of the petrels was giving good views close to the harbour wall. A few Gannets/Sambos Common and Arctic Terns also and some razormots. Kingfisher on the Link Road Bridge at Ardee.

my list
146 Storm Petrel

Last edited:
Thanks Owen.

County Year List

160 Balearic Shearwater
161 Puffin

I was at Clogher Head myself today the best from 20 mins sea watching were 12 Manx Shearwater and 3 Storm Petrel.One of the petrels was giving good views close to the harbour wall. A few Gannets/Sambos Common and Arctic Terns also and some razormots. Kingfisher on the Link Road Bridge at Ardee.

my list
146 Storm Petrel
Got G W Egret,Artic tern,and Kingfisher tonight on Ardee link road with help of local guide P.P. now 150 for louth year list.

Attachments

• IMG_1637_edited.jpg
    IMG_1637_edited.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1666_edited.jpg
    IMG_1666_edited.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1702_edited.jpg
    IMG_1702_edited.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1721_edited.jpg
    IMG_1721_edited.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1788_edited.jpg
    IMG_1788_edited.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 54
Got G W Egret,Artic tern,and Kingfisher tonight on Ardee link road with help of local guide P.P. now 150 for louth year list.

Pic of y l gull digiscoped with canon 450 and 55 lens hand held to 30x swarovski.Also bad pic of kingfisher tonight and stonechat at weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_1853_edited.jpg
    IMG_1853_edited.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1645_edited.jpg
    IMG_1645_edited.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 53
Saw my first juv black guillemot yesterday evening at Greenore. You didn't happen to notice any juv black guillemots at Clogher Owen? Any other records would be of interest...

Last edited:
If i may reply on Gerry's behalf (please correct if i am wrong), the GW Egret was seen at lurgangreen and along the Fane river.

Pic of y l gull digiscoped with canon 450 and 55 lens hand held to 30x swarovski.Also bad pic of kingfisher tonight and stonechat at weekend.

Just for those interested, and still in need of kingfisher for year list, I have seen them on several occassions recently at the "old" ballymac bridge where the dippers are - usually low and fast over river.

Didnt see any Juvs Im afraid.
Where is the ardee link road for this Great White Egret?
Owen

Sorry about the confusion. Yes the Kingfisher was on the Ardee Link road. The GWE was only seen the once at Lurgangreen.

I found another site near Tallanstown, today,with a nice selection of Pyramid and Spotted Orchid. It happens to be on land owned by Olivias aunt and uncle. I saw them while out visiting the inlaws. I will go out on Sunday and see if there is anything else of interest present and take a few photos.

1 dark phase arctic skua and 6 stormies off clogherhead yesterday evening.
2 Red throated divers (1 ad, 1 winter type)
20 arctic terns
50 sandwich terns
30 common terns
1 roseate tern
small numbers of guillemots, razor bills and black guillemots.
just a few gannets strangely. and very low numbers of manx.

A very atmospheric seawatch, conducted during a lightening storm.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back