• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (4 Viewers)

Over 250 leach's petrels were observed around Ireland and Britain yesterday. Today I note that several records have come in from locations on the far side of the Irish Sea (not too far from us.)
Are there any louth records for this bird - I cannot recall any.
Either way, there seems to be a good movement of these birds, so a good one to look out for over next few days.

I think there are a couple of Clogher Head Records.We will need the wind to back Easterly to have a chance...............

They are more or less annual on the British West coast.Probably the constant westerly winds keeping them that side of the channel.

At Cruistown this afternoon, flock of Golden Plover still there, about 70 Brent, 1 Grey Plover, 1 Greenshank, 3 Sambos and 3 RB Mergansers on the beach.
Baltray had about 200 Golden Plover, 1 Greenshank and 1 Little Egret.
Tommy saw an Otter in the sea at Clogherhead harbour.

Attachments

• tn_Greenshank Baltray.JPG
    tn_Greenshank Baltray.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 59
  • tn_LEgret Baltray.JPG
    tn_LEgret Baltray.JPG
    19.8 KB · Views: 64
  • tn_RB Mergansers Crusitown 09.JPG
    tn_RB Mergansers Crusitown 09.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 55
  • tn_RB Mergansers Crusitown 12.JPG
    tn_RB Mergansers Crusitown 12.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 78
  • tn_Sambo Cruistown.JPG
    tn_Sambo Cruistown.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 72
I think there are a couple of Clogher Head Records.We will need the wind to back Easterly to have a chance...............
They are more or less annual on the British West coast.Probably the constant westerly winds keeping them that side of the channel.

Peter, I agree with you regarding the easterlies but with the numers so high, it's worth keeping an eye out for them. When I posted earlier, reports had been received from 2 N Wales locations totalling 8 birds. Later reports from Conwy (less than 100miles from Clogerhead) indicates that 129 leach's were seen today (plus a Cory's)!

Last edited:
Peter, I agree with you regarding the easterlies but with the numers so high, it's worth keeping an eye out for them. When I posted earlier, reports had been received from 2 N Wales locations totalling 8 birds. Later reports from Conwy (less than 100miles from Clogerhead) indicates that 129 leach's were seen today (plus a Cory's)!

Definitely worth keeping an eye out, just in case. The seas at Clogherhead and Cruistown were very quiet this afternoon.

I've a notion I've seen leach's a few times off Balaggan point or Shelling Hill but only distant individual birds so hard to be sure...storm petrels were very thin on the ground this year in comparison to last.

I've a notion I've seen leach's a few times off Balaggan point or Shelling Hill but only distant individual birds so hard to be sure...storm petrels were very thin on the ground this year in comparison to last.

Its the right time of year anyway...Margaret and Derek..Let me know how you get on!

I had my first 3 Redwing today on the farm...still lots of Meadow Pipits moving through.

FYI - Don had a Fosters Tern this morning at Cruisetown. No doubt the same bird as was here in 2006 and 2007 ( arrived 8/10/06 and 28/10/07 per my records).
Also 2 Med gulls present.

Its the right time of year anyway...Margaret and Derek..Let me know how you get on!
Think it would need to land on my scope to be sure Peter!!
Went to Cruistown this afternoon but tide full in so it was fairly quiet. At Dunany saw what was probably the Forsters Tern out feeding between there and Cruistown but difficult viewing conditions in heavy rain.

Forster's Tern was present at Cruisetown during early morning. It returned mid afternoon and give good views at full tide. Single adult med gull at Cruisetown plus 3 late staying sambo terns. Nice meeting up with so many birders (12 in all covering this part of the coast today). 2 confiding wheatear also at Cruisetown.
Otherwise Don had a single Canada Goose at Hermitage. First Grey Geese of the winter starting to appear in small numbers.

Attachments

• Forsters1.jpg
    Forsters1.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 62
  • Forsters2.jpg
    Forsters2.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 63
  • Forsters3.jpg
    Forsters3.jpg
    272.9 KB · Views: 65
  • RedshankWetFeet.jpg
    RedshankWetFeet.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Sambo1.jpg
    Sambo1.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 66
Yesterday spent several house slogging around glenmore, annaverna and ravensdale but generally very quiet, as with a bit of seawatching from Clogher. Cruisetwon had 350 blackheaded gulls, 100 common, 34 great black backed, 4 lesser black backed, 118 herring gulls, 150 kittiwake, 51 sanderling, 180 dunlin, 60 ringed plover, 90 cormorant, 400 odd common scoter, 2 shag, 900 oyca, 120 redshandk and 230 golden plover plus the forsters tern just after high tide. Out at sea there were large rafts of gulls.

Attachments

• sanderling cruisetown.jpg
    sanderling cruisetown.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 60
  • northern wheatear cruisetown oct.jpg
    northern wheatear cruisetown oct.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 69
  • forsters tern cruisetown.jpg
    forsters tern cruisetown.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 56
Damian Clarke of the Golden Eagle Trust will give an illustrated talk about the natural recolonisation of Ireland by Buzzards at the Spirit Store, Dundalk docks, Dundalk (upstairs) at 8pm this evening 6th October 2008.

All are welcome!

The best on the coast today about 500 Auks sp south in 30 mins at Clogher Head. The only passerine migrants,1 Chiffchaff and 7 Lesser Redpoll. Cruisetown was best with the Adult Forster's Tern Adult Med Gull and an Adult Dark-bellied Brent and one Wheatear. One Whimbrel at Hermitage. KCP quiet.

Attachments

• forsters tern.jpg
    forsters tern.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 74
  • med gull.jpg
    med gull.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 66
  • wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 55
  • darkbbrent1.jpg
    darkbbrent1.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 54
  • darkbbrent2.jpg
    darkbbrent2.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 75
I had a small falcon flying in from the sea this afternoon. Its flight was fluttery, almost as though it was flycatching. It flew about two or three feet over the water and when it reached the shore, flew straight inland without stopping unfortunately.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back