• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (28 Viewers)

7th Carlingford Birding Weekend

We will run the Seventh Carlingford Birding Weekend end May - details attached

Breffni

Attachments

• Seventh Carlingford Birding Weekend.pdf
    178.6 KB · Views: 87
About 20 plus Little Terns along the tide line at Baltray this afternoon, at least 2 were ringed. At least 5 one legged Oystercatchers hopping around on the beach.?? First time uploading photos here, hope it works. Excuse them as massively cropped.

Matt.

Attachments

• IMG_5531_lt1.jpg
    IMG_5531_lt1.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_5536_lt2.jpg
    IMG_5536_lt2.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5539_lt3.jpg
    IMG_5539_lt3.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_5541_lt4.jpg
    IMG_5541_lt4.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_5542_lt5.jpg
    IMG_5542_lt5.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 55
Thought I saw a couple of House Martins other day but I wasnt sure until this evening when I had loads of them flying above my garden. Well isnt it House Martins who do the real fluttery flight every now and then just and white underbelly obvious. My father says he hears the Cuckoo back again.....and saw it away down the field for the first time in his life. He said it was a large bird with a hooked beak and a bird he has never seen before and it was that busy calling it didnt notice him. In all the years he has heard it he has never ever been able to set eyes on it until the other morning early and he often tried to see it.

I went for a walk with my six year old son and dog this morning in Townley Hall wood. Plenty of birds singing Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow warblers then something caught my ear. My initial reaction was it was a Chiffchaff singing wrong. On walking further along the pathway that is nearest the river I saw the bird about twenty feet up on a branch. It looked very like a Chiffchaff. I was looking at it from underneath. It had a yellowish vent and yellowish breast close to the wings. It had a very pale white belly and the bird looked very neat.
It started singing and every time I expected it to start "chiff chaffing" it broke out in what I can descibe as a "rat tat tat tat tatatata". It sang numerous times before jumping to another branch and feeding on a grub. It then flew down the slope towards the river but I lost sight. In total I observed for approx 15mins.
Not knowing what the bird was I was home within 20mins and checking out web were I looked for similar birds and the first one was Iberian chiffchaff. I played its song and it was unmistakeable that was it.
I've played numerous different recordings of the Iberian and I'm sure that is what I heard.
Sorry its only a one man Id (I dont think the six year old or dog would suffice). I still doubt myself but everytime I play a recording I know that is what I saw and heard. Ger.

Nice one Squidge. Sounds very much like an Iberian Chiffchaff. My initial thoughts were Wood Warbler especially as you saw white on the belly and the bird was neat in appearance. Usually wood warblers end their trill song with a drawn out 'tiuoo, tiuoo, tiuoo', call. Definately worth seeking out again.

Si.

I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow but it probably wont be till afternoon. I believe there were a few birders there earlier on and after speaking to one of them they were in the right place. Ger.

I went for a walk with my six year old son and dog this morning in Townley Hall wood. Plenty of birds singing Blackcaps, Chiffchaffs, Willow warblers then something caught my ear. My initial reaction was it was a Chiffchaff singing wrong. On walking further along the pathway that is nearest the river I saw the bird about twenty feet up on a branch. It looked very like a Chiffchaff. I was looking at it from underneath. It had a yellowish vent and yellowish breast close to the wings. It had a very pale white belly and the bird looked very neat.
It started singing and every time I expected it to start "chiff chaffing" it broke out in what I can descibe as a "rat tat tat tat tatatata". It sang numerous times before jumping to another branch and feeding on a grub. It then flew down the slope towards the river but I lost sight. In total I observed for approx 15mins.
Not knowing what the bird was I was home within 20mins and checking out web were I looked for similar birds and the first one was Iberian chiffchaff. I played its song and it was unmistakeable that was it.
I've played numerous different recordings of the Iberian and I'm sure that is what I heard.
Sorry its only a one man Id (I dont think the six year old or dog would suffice). I still doubt myself but everytime I play a recording I know that is what I saw and heard. Ger.

Sounds promising. I know a few people when looking this evening and I am not sure if they had any luck. I am going to give it a couple of hours, tomorrow late morning. If it sings I will try to make a recording.

About 20 plus Little Terns along the tide line at Baltray this afternoon, at least 2 were ringed. At least 5 one legged Oystercatchers hopping around on the beach.?? First time uploading photos here, hope it works. Excuse them as massively cropped.

Matt.

Hi Matt
The oycs, like other waders, tuck one leg up when loafing/roosting, mainly to conserve heat. Bare skin on leg and beak being the only bare parts, they try to keep them out of the cold. Nice shots - i see dunlin, ringed-plover and is that a knot?

Little Tern Conservation Project, Baltray
We are putting up the fence tomorrow Saturday 30th and it's all hands on deck. If anybody has a few spare hours, we would be delighted to see you out there. The main fencing work will start at 11am. You can contact 086 2434874 for directions.

Was out there today from 12.10 to 2.15 and not a sign. I had a recording from the Dutch birding website as this is exactly what I heard. http://www.xeno-canto.org/sounds/up...100509.iberischetjiftjafzangELiebergSelXC.mp3 The doubting Thomas in me will always say well maybe but all I have to do is play the recording and I'm 100%. Its unfortunate I was the only observer but hopefully it will show itself again. Ger

I got out this morning at 6am and found presumably the same Chiffchaff about 40 metres short of the bridge. I heard it sing just 4 times in 40 minutes and it seemed to be mobile going silent for several minutes at a time. First of all I would like to point out that I am not great with bird song, but I did some research last night.

http://www.surfbirds.com/Features/ibechiffs/ibechiffs.html

When I first heard the bird it gave two or three chiffchaff like notes and then a short rapid rattle. I did not manage to record the call but it sounded interesting. It lacked what you might call a 'bridging note' between the initial call and the rattle at the end and I think some birders who heard it the other day thought it did not sound quite right for Iberian Chiffchaff. I did not get any sort of view of the bird so I cant comment on its appearance.

I had some recordings on a portable dictaphone with me. When I played it just after hearing the Slane bird I could not detect much if any difference between the two however I did not manage to get a recording of the bird singing.

There seems to be some variation in Iberian Chiffchaff song so you would need to get a recording of the song to be sure. I think in the UK only birds that have been recorded singing/calling have been considered for acceptance by the BBRC.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Peter I did hear a chiffchaff which seemed to miss a note yesterday, I wasnt able to locate it though . It did sound different to what I heard as the bird I heard had a little bouncy warble at the end of its song. As you said there are variations in song. I played the recording I had and it was Blackcaps that replied. I saw one Chiffchaff yesterday but underneath was duller to the pale plumage of the original bird.

Its unfortunate I was the only one and I usually carry a small camera while out birding but it was more of a dog walk so all I had were my compacts. I walk in townley and across the river along the canal quite regular so hopefully it will pop up again.

I would fully expect a recording,picture or at least two to three different views for a bird to be accepted so I'm not dissapointed in that sense. It was after I made the id of the bird through the sound recordings that I found out how rare this bird was so I was very apprehensive about posting it up. But because I was 100% sure I posted it up.

In the meantime I'll keep looking and listening and hopefully someone will come across it. Thanks, Ger.

Last edited:
I see that some birders connected and got good views (and presumable heard it well?) today. Its on as a probable Iberian Chiffchaff, so you might be in luck if it get confirmed. I am not sure if any one has recorded the song, which would be very useful.

I see that alright. Good news indeed. It would be nice if there is a recording. I also see that there were two serins aswell. Ger.

Here's a recording of the Chiffchaff at Townley Hall Wood. Recorded with Canon 7D Camera yesterday evening (May 2nd).

Attachments

• chiffer_townley.mp3
    756.3 KB · Views: 151
Ger
What a great find (if it is iberian)but none the less a very brave call that most of us would have shyed away from making.so well done either way and i hope that it is confirmed
Enda
www.cooleywildlifephotography.com

Thanks Enda, I've been unable to get out the last few days so hopefully it will stick around. There were a few hours of indecision whether to post it up or not but with a bit of consultation and knowing what I saw and heard I just had to put it up.
Some excellent photographs by the way. Ger.

Hi Enda

Just seen your new website.
Amazing photographs of animals that are hard enough to glimpse (red squirrel, jays, otters, etc), let alone photograph so well.
Best of luck with your tours!

Derek

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back