• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (12 Viewers)

Went for a walk up along the Boyne canal today and plenty of birds about. Birds of note were Yellowhammer, Kingfisher, Tree Sparrow and reed warbler. plenty of young bluetits and swallows aswell.Ger.

Went for a walk up along the Boyne canal today and plenty of birds about. Birds of note were Yellowhammer, Kingfisher, Tree Sparrow and reed warbler. plenty of young bluetits and swallows aswell.Ger.

Hi Ger,
Breeding Reed Warbler is a bird I would like to catch up with, as far as I know there is only one breeding record for Louth at Bellurgan? in the 1990's I think. Where abouts on the Boyne canal did you see them?

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter, Right at the end of the canal where it meets the Boyne there is an old stone sentry hut. Straight across the river there are large reed beds. It was here that I saw the reed warbler. There were actually a few of them right up along the reedbeds. I heard the bird calling before I saw it.

The pic I posted is pretty bad but you can just make out the bird. On a technicality I dont know if that side of the river is Co. Louth or Meath but its right on the border anyway.

On another note the Yellowhammer was showing signs of breeding as it had a grub in its bill and was calling strongly. Sorry another bad pic but it was a compact and everything was far away. Thanks Ger.

Attachments

• DSCN2617.JPG
    DSCN2617.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN2636.JPG
    DSCN2636.JPG
    169.8 KB · Views: 61
Hi Peter, Right at the end of the canal where it meets the Boyne there is an old stone sentry hut. Straight across the river there are large reed beds. It was here that I saw the reed warbler. There were actually a few of them right up along the reedbeds. I heard the bird calling before I saw it.

The pic I posted is pretty bad but you can just make out the bird. On a technicality I dont know if that side of the river is Co. Louth or Meath but its right on the border anyway.

On another note the Yellowhammer was showing signs of breeding as it had a grub in its bill and was calling strongly. Sorry another bad pic but it was a compact and everything was far away. Thanks Ger.

Thanks for that Ger. I dont think there are any breeding records for County Meath so thats an even better record!. I will try to get down next week for a look. Thanks again

ps.Have you seen them at any other locations locally?

Peter

Last edited:
No I've checked the reedbeds closer to town and havent seen or heard any reed warblers. Where the canal meets the river walk in the Slane direction and there are extensive reedbeds on the far side of the river. There were at least four birds calling and I saw three reeds. The one calling at the edge of the river(picture) and another two at seperate locations along the river doing their flutter into the air and straight back into the reeds. Thanks Ger.

Hi Ger,
Breeding Reed Warbler is a bird I would like to catch up with, as far as I know there is only one breeding record for Louth at Bellurgan? in the 1990's I think. Where abouts on the Boyne canal did you see them?

Thanks

Peter

hi just read your recent comment about Reed warblers,heres a couple of shots i took of one last week at Oxford Island NNR ,co. Armagh
www.flickr.com/photos/natmak

Attachments

• Copy of DSC_4111.jpg
    Copy of DSC_4111.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 43
  • Copy of DSC_4122.jpg
    Copy of DSC_4122.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Copy of DSC_4125.jpg
    Copy of DSC_4125.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 38
Amazed to have a grasshopper warbler singing in my "garden" yesterday with whitethroat, sedge warbler, backcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff in the hedgerows...

Amazed to have a grasshopper warbler singing in my "garden" yesterday with whitethroat, sedge warbler, backcap, willow warbler and chiffchaff in the hedgerows...

Thats nearly the whole Irish Warbler list:-O, A singing Cetti and maybe a Bonelli's and you could start charging into your garden.;). Ger

Peter Phillips and myself were there this evening and No sign of the bird although the rain didnt help. I think it was last seen on Saturday. Peter saw a flock of around 150 birds head off to roost so it might be in with them. I will try to get out tomorrow to have another look. Ger.

Tried again this afternoon and still no sign. there was a flock of about 30 starlings in the area but all were common. Ger.

We have new young Swallows tweeting away for food in the nest literally above our heads in the back porch entrance at home in Omeath. We can easily see the little beaks open all the time just looking up while passing. The dog lies on the steps underneath and they pass no remarks whatsoever and in and out all day with food feeding them. One of the two Swallows sits on the electric wire above very close guarding the porch entrance in turn while the other hunts for food. Amazing apart from my mother with her mop and bucket washing the steps often ...... but no-one is giving her any heed as the little beaks are so cute |=)| Talk about indoor accomadation ............

Saw my first ever female Blackcap today ..........actually there were 3 of them flying back and forth from the briary undergrowth around the river in the woods. Beautiful birds and saw Chiffchaffs, query Willow Warbler, heaps of little Wrens and Blue Tits, Dunnocks singing their hearts out and Bullfinches as always etc. I also noticed Great Tits hanging upside down feeding on the seeds of the notorious Hogweed plants.
You can walk through the woods and see little but wild Rabbits that is until you are near the rivers and then so many birds all together if you are lucky. I was surprised to find two streams as well as main river in woods. Thats the second time I have heard an unusual calling of a bird ........... just sounds like sherree sherree repeated for ages. Anyone any idea what I am hearing.

Checked the hidden creek at ballymascanlon, as well as the marsh road - several common sandpipers but no green sandpiper or reed warblers...

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back