• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (33 Viewers)

Mallard photos taken 11 march, rest taken today. Think last photo was of 2 Sandpiper birds feeding for ages and then flying away.

Attachments

• IMG_7539-001.JPG
    IMG_7539-001.JPG
    139.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7562.JPG
    IMG_7562.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7598.JPG
    IMG_7598.JPG
    141.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6265.JPG
    IMG_6265.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7485.JPG
    IMG_7485.JPG
    165.3 KB · Views: 82
Walking along the beach at Clogherhead today (around 1pm) and sadly saw 3 Shags washed up on the beach (just south of the lifeboat station) one was ringed, it had on it -INFORM B.T.O. NAT.HISTORY MUSEUM LONDON SW7 - 1421604 so I took a photo of it and when I got home I googled the above and it had a site for it, where I filled out a form. Interestingly it stated that they use the Natural History Museum London because even if you cannot speak English you will probably know the words "Museum & London".

Then as I was about to drive off I saw another shag walk out of the water (high tide) and it seemed to have it's right wing cocked out as if it was damaged/broken, a sad sight to see. I would of tried to catch it and take it somewhere if I had of known a local sancturary. If anyone knows of one ?

There is an animal sanctuary out at Collon. I'm not sure if the lady there takes injured animals or if its just unwanted pets. Worth a call though. Thats a lot of birds dead and injured from the same group.

I found a few dead lapwings in the same area beside the lifeboat station. They were too decomposed to see if there were any external injuries. There could be a perfectly reasonable explanation for this or it could be of a more sinister nature, I'm hoping for the former.

Ger.

Hello Squidge, can you remember if it had been rough at sea ? I looked up shags in my book and it noted that they fly close to the sea's surface, maybe a combination of high waves and swirling winds or would they be sitting on the surface ? there wasn't any sign of oil or attack - just the unfortunate victims of mother nature.

Hi, the lapwings had been there a while but from what I can remember there wasn't any major bad weather around that time.

It could well have been a freak wave that took out this small flock. As you said there was no visible signs of attack so more than likely mother nature.

There is also the Drogheda animal rescue. Again I don't know if they take wild birds. I must find out.

Ger.

I've emailed both Collon and Drogheda animal centres. No reply yet from Collon but Drogheda animal rescue have a number for somebody who takes in wild birds.

Ger.

White bird at lower shore again and query one poor photo of one of 6 plain browny birds feeding on shore before flew away. Also either Chiffchaff or Willow warbler in briars close to my house where I actually saw 4 dancing around and so many lovely juvenile Starlings just about walking and no more. I saw at least 3 more think Willow warblers in Daisyhill woods as so so tiny and two stunning male Bullfinches. Also saw heaps of House martins near St.Malachys primary school and quite a few Swallows flying so low I thought they flew out of stones in ditches. Nearby I noticed a very large old stone hay loft with galvanised roof where think they were all flying from or around it definitely.

Attachments

• IMG_7487.JPG
    IMG_7487.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_7556.JPG
    IMG_7556.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_7589.JPG
    IMG_7589.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_7626.JPG
    IMG_7626.JPG
    160.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_7628.JPG
    IMG_7628.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 85
Hi dolce
these are a little egret, little egret, wagtail, willow warbler and not sure (a juv starling?but seems early...) the brown birds on shore are likely to be something like linnets, who often forage seeds and stuff washed up on the tideline...

i had what ia ssume was a red kite (deeply forked tail) flying over carlingford about 6:30 pm yesterday - bird flew over the mountain towards glenmore...

Hi dolce
these are a little egret, little egret, wagtail, willow warbler and not sure (a juv starling?but seems early...) the brown birds on shore are likely to be something like linnets, who often forage seeds and stuff washed up on the tideline...

The little erget is a new bird for me to see so nice. I have plenty of juvenile starlings from yesterday just and probably same ones I saw so close to here across road in fields with willow warblers. I knew they were just learning to fly and falling over themselves. I saw first juvenile robin yesterday and juvenile blackbird also but saw a very flecked so query juvenile coal tit here a week ago. Also saw 2 definite Linnets up on grassy/wild flower verge at entrance of here. Only have pics juvenile robin and sparrows and last is chaffinch but bit different from rest of mine.

Attachments

• IMG_7793.JPG
    IMG_7793.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7746.JPG
    IMG_7746.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7769.JPG
    IMG_7769.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7692.JPG
    IMG_7692.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7704.JPG
    IMG_7704.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 72
Went out for a bit today, Good numbers of Yellowhammers and whitethroats around Dunany and Salterstown, Sedge warbler also at Salterstown, Treecreepers at Beaulieu and grasshopper warblers reeling at Clogherhead. I've noticed a big drop in Willow warbler numbers compared to last year.

Ger.

First swifts seen at greenore on the 24th May - can't remember when they came last year - the 20th? Two fulmar nests are incubating in king johns castle in greenore. Ravens fledged at slievenaglogh...

I see there is a new bird watching facility at Dundalk. Well done to everyone involved especially in these austere times. Hopefully it will be put to good use.:t:

Ger.

I saw my first 5 Swifts last friday over fields on Meadow side of hospital and on sunday 27 May saw at least 8 plain brown Swifts actually with my binoculars (nice to be definite) over fields close to Lower Shore Omeath. There were also plenty of Swallows flying very low with them, also quite a few of a very puzzling bird with sort of stripey black and white wings also flying very low. I could not figure out what they might be even with binoculars .... was in fields next to sea and about size of Collared Dove at least. I think sea birds as have never seen them around here. Wonder what birds might be flying very low with Swallows over fields with cows grazing.

Also forgot to say the Cuckoo is back in Park hotel woods Omeath this couple weeks at least. Now was it cows or sheep grazing in the field I saw the larger birds with black and white wings flying so low with the Swallows ... I know the field.

Saw Barn Owl flying over the railway bridge on the Ardee Road at 12.20am last night. Flew into the Bus Eireann garage on the left hand side as you leave town.

They're nesting at last (Blue Tits) In my home made box (3 year old) that I nailed to the top of my 6 foot garden wall, I heard the hatchlings and waited, peering through the bushes that have grown over and around the box (most probably why they feel safe enough to nest) and then a young enough looking Blue Tit landed on a nearby twig, popped in fed and then out again - Wonderful !

There are three Red Kites soaring over my house presently. I heard very high unusual sounds, then saw them and went to check sound of both Buzzard and Red Kite and pretty certain Red Kite sounds (also from the shape of them.) I saw one flying regularly over here this couple of weeks, then saw two of them over Daisyhill woods a week past. Finally today I saw three of them for first time. Now they are soaring very high and very large outstretched wings with clear white area can be seen. The sounds of them are beautiful.

Buzzard and skylark today along M1 where Ardee Road goes over the motorway. Skylarks - 2 adults and 2 fledglings.

Attachments

• IMG_3100.jpg
    IMG_3100.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 65
They're nesting at last (Blue Tits) In my home made box (3 year old) that I nailed to the top of my 6 foot garden wall, I heard the hatchlings and waited, peering through the bushes that have grown over and around the box (most probably why they feel safe enough to nest) and then a young enough looking Blue Tit landed on a nearby twig, popped in fed and then out again - Wonderful !

I finally saw 2 juvenile Blue Tits in my garden feeding on peanuts couple days ago plus saw more in woods. They seemed to be late with their juveniles this year. I had a very early Robin juvenile but found 2 pale blue empty shells (believe Robins) in my garden dropped weeks past so perhaps only it survived so early. I see a lot of juvenile Robins about in woods now. Also saw two gorgeous Goldcrest in woods, believe several tiny browny birds with them were juveniles also. You cannot miss seeing Bullfinches, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow warblers as so many of them about. Also heard Sedge warblers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back