• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (1 Viewer)

Attachments

• buzzzzz.jpg
    buzzzzz.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 52
  • wheatear cruies 2.jpg
    wheatear cruies 2.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 58
  • wt cruies.jpg
    wt cruies.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_16112.jpg
    IMG_16112.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_15382.jpg
    IMG_15382.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 52
Lovely pictures guys......
I have seven Reed Buntings regularly here (know their not so very musical sounds clearly now) and think two Sedge Warblers or some sort of warblers two days ago. Listening to sounds of birds and realising it really helps in learning to identify them correctly.

A single wheatear along balaggan last night - i'm expecting the main wave of them any day now - also a curious looking tern out over the water that looked like a 1st summer black tern...but probably nothing...

Dispite the wind I had a successful couple of hours at Dundalk this afternoon. Adult Spotted Redshank at the Dundalk Docks. Pink footed Goose at Lurgangreen and a Carrion Crow x Hooded Crow hybrid at Seabank. Good numbers of Grey Plover(40) Dunlin (200) and Black tailed Godwits (200) in the bay.

A couple of hours in my local local patch turned up sedge warbler, short eared owl and a flock of 200 greenland white fronted geese, all "garden ticks". Also a whitethroat in song, 420 dunlin, 70 turnstone, dozens of arctic/common terns, 2 wheatears and a white wagtail...

Attachments

• geese flock.jpg
    geese flock.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 62
  • short eared owl templetown may.jpg
    short eared owl templetown may.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 74
  • robin with young may.jpg
    robin with young may.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 55
  • robin juvenile may.jpg
    robin juvenile may.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 54
  • common tern balaggan pt may 2.jpg
    common tern balaggan pt may 2.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 60
Little Tern Conservation Project 2009
In excess of 30 Little Terns seen at Baltray at the week-end. The fence was erected on Saturday though it is not yet complete. Courtship displaying by the Little Terns going on in the enclosure.
Still quite a few Brent Geese around the Boyne area. The week before last I counted 200 at the mouth of the Boyne. A flock of 50 flew over when I was out there yesterday.

My nestbox cam is still working, the great tit has laid 8 eggs and 2 hatched this morning about 9 O Clock this morning.:)
Would providing maggots from the Angling shop be of any benefit to the birds or is it a bad idea??
PS I cant get the camera on the net because of a bad internet connect from ICE braodband but changing ISP next week :)

Well done Gareth - you could try the meal worms but i think great tits try to feed their nestlings exclusively on moth larvae for the first few days anyway, but the adults will eat the meal worms....

I had a fairly clean looking carrion crow at carlingford today - also been doing a lot of survey work lately and am amazed at the lack of hares in the cooley area - they are present elsewhere but not in the usual fields around here this year...

I was gardening today and heard this wolf whistling which initialy I thought was someone daft nearby and then slowly realised it was a bird in nextdoors tree. This whistling was just something else, so loud and clear and it stunned me that a bird could manage such a performance. I couldnt see the bird but after a while one went up onto a house roof from the tree and whistling was much more distant so may have been bird. I cannot name it but was a small headed medium sized bird that reminded me of Larks often seen at Omeath shore. Has anyone any idea of birds who could mimick wolf whistling as such? It was not a dark coloured bird.

Dolce, It was probably a Starling, they can do great impressions of everyday sounds. We had one that mimicked our neighbours alarm siren:(

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back