• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of hours birding in Houston? (1 Viewer)

RobGordijn

Dutch Birder
Hi all,
I have a couple of hours to kill between flights in Houston (early september).
I will be returning from a birding trip in Peru, so why not bird some more. Who likes airports for 8 hours, right?
Does anyone have a good suggestion for maybe a nice city park or some other nice area in or nearby Houston?
I appreciate any help!

Rob Gordijn
Netherlands

Jesse Jones state park is just a few miles from the airport.W.G.Jones State Forest is the place to go for Red Cockaded Woodpecker,and Brown Headed Nuthatch.I spent a fortnight in the area in April of last year.During migration,almost any wooded,or bushy area,and there are plenty of them,will be rewarding.

Transportation will be your challenge. There is only one bus (the 102) that goes to the airport. It is a local that makes a very long trip to downtown. You could take a cab to Jesse H. Jones County Park or to Mercer Arboretum. They are both nice and close. If you are willing to rent a car, you would have more choices.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes i already assumed transport is the key issue. Jesse H. Jones County Park is really close, i suppose a cab there should be the easiest option.

It is an odd little park made from the flood prone land at the back of a subdivision off FM 1960. It has lovely huge oaks and other bottomland trees. There are a couple of nice ponds, one surrounded by cypress trees. I visited it about a month ago and it was suffering from the drought but it should have had a little rain by now. I saw Prothonatary and Swainson's Warblers. Though it will probably be quite warm, you would do well to wear long pants and a long sleeved shirt as the mosquitoes and biting flies are bad. It is worth the trip, it is quite birdy!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back