• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Covers that fall off on Genesis 44 Prominar XD. (1 Viewer)

mauriciolacruz

Spain
To solve the problem of covers that fall off (from both: eyepieces and objectives) on my Genesis 44 Prominar XD (because they are not well fixed / fastened due to having a slightly larger diameter than necessary), I thought of sticking this 5 mm wide black adhesive tape inside the 4 caps:

Has anyone come up with another method to fix it? Are there covers from other manufacturers that fit these binoculars? Truly this problem bothers me greatly.

Last edited:
I've used this method for telescope lens caps. Felt tape, or felt strips glued inside, are good because they offer some compression. If a full strip of felt is too much, you can add a few 1cm strips of it to the inside. Around here they have felt fabric at crafts stores.

To solve the problem of covers that fall off (from both: eyepieces and objectives) on my Genesis 44 Prominar XD (because they are not well fixed / fastened due to having a slightly larger diameter than necessary), I thought of sticking this 5 mm wide black adhesive tape inside the 4 caps:

Has anyone come up with another method to fix it? Are there covers from other manufacturers that fit these binoculars? Truly this problem bothers me greatly.
The rainguard on the genesis 8.5x44 is maligned for its cheapness and plastic feel but to me it’s perfect. Easy on and off and when on protects the ocular lenses as well as the grippier rubber rainguards I’ve used on other binoculars (including the genesis 8x33s I have) do, but they’re easier to get off quickly when needed.

The objective lens covers after about a year have gotten kind of droopy in use. I’m going to replace them with one of the several spare sets kowa USA sent me on request for a very nominal charge.

You might ask kowa to send you some spares. They’re pretty cheap and kowa is very responsive.

I've used this method for telescope lens caps. Felt tape, or felt strips glued inside, are good because they offer some compression. If a full strip of felt is too much, you can add a few 1cm strips of it to the inside. Around here they have felt fabric at crafts stores.
First (before posting this thread) I did try with scotch tape. Better result on the eyepiece caps (harder plastic) than on the objective caps (rubber / softer plastic) where the scotch tape peeled off. Either way it was very botched.

Then I replaced the scotch tape on the objective caps by felt tape (3 small pieces each cap) and, as I guessed, it didn't work because of the excessive thickness of the felt tape. (I kept the scotch tape on the eyepiece caps.)

I think I'll end up buying that (or similar) tape on the link I sent above.

More ideas will be welcome! 😄👍🏻

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back