• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Review: Opticron Verano 8x32 (2 Viewers)

The older Verano HD is excellent optically and also made in Japan with very sturdy build quality. It’s an open bridge style though, not the “closed” central bridge of the current model.

Interestingly I received the pair of the old Verano HD today and compared to Traveller ED that i also recently picked up they are optically weaker in my eyes (pun intended!). Also, aside from that, the eye cups are really thick....too thick for my liking and quite uncomfortable. So Travellers are a keeper and Verano going back.

Steve ...how is the glare of the Verano? ....do you have the Traveller to compare the same with? Thanks.... jim
Jim,

Yes I have the Traveller for comparison. The Verano is better at glare control. For me I think this is due to better eye cup fit. If I had my druthers, I'd like another mm of eye cup extension on the Traveller.

EDIT: Sometimes I forget the obvious. I have has the Traveller long enough I have more or less accommodated to it. I'll do an O-ring extesion and see what happens. It probably won't be bright enough for a good glare test for a day or several. Kind of dark and stormy for a few.

Last edited:
Another thing I might note here. The Verano vs Traveller comparison has come up several times. If one were to hand one each of these to somebody and ask them...before they looked through them, which was the more expensive glass, I'd wager the answer would likely be the Traveller by a fairly substantial margin. The Traveller has more of the look of a polished surface and the Verano more of a rough cut appearance. One's dressed up for an occasion and one is ready to go to work. Sort of a white collar vs blue collar look.
Does the Verano have the same unsmooth or rough feel as the Trinovid? .... I know that binocular has a rough feel that differs from either the Ultra or Noctivid. The roughness that I have felt from that one is 'okay'....I had no objections, so perhaps the same feel....

Does the Verano have the same unsmooth or rough feel as the Trinovid? .... I know that binocular has a rough feel that differs from either the Ultra or Noctivid. The roughness that I have felt from that one is 'okay'....I had no objections, so perhaps the same feel....
It has a similar texture. Definitely rougher than the Traveller.

I've had Field Optics Research Winged Eye guards in place and have lifted the rubber eye ring on the stock eye cups with O-rings. on the Traveller for a few days. While the Traveller is prone to some glare, it is not bad. However the FOR wings and O-rings do help, but they do not solve the issue. The Traveller, at least for me tends toward a little bit of glare. More so than either the Verano 8x32 or the Maven B3

I have seen glare in both the Maven and Traveller (8x32's)....to me, about equal...But apparent. Am interested to view thru a Verano and see if the glare exists. Now, the Traveller was competition for the Monarch 7, but I see the Monarch M7 is now out and wonder how the two compare. Or the Verano vs the M7.... (not the MHG), jim

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back