• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (7 Viewers)

Hi Steve,

I can't say for sure, but I think it's a different one altogether. I've only had very distant views of the one on Rec Pond. This one seems to have far more colour on the neck.

Ian, I enjoyed reading your ongoing saga of the bird life around Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park. I am not sure about the local geography, but when reading your account it certainly brought back memories of when Trevor took my friend and me over to the Barnes Wetland in London. (This was when we had a flight layover on our way over to Kenya in January, 2004.)

Thanks again, Trevor!

On a grey damp morning I entered the car park at 10.00 to be greeted by the usual Greenfinch and Tree Sparrows in the tall trees by the feeding station, always a welcome sight.
Headed straight to the big pond were a Red Necked Grebe had been seen and photographed by Ian yesterday, I was hoping for some decent pics myself.
On the way I was delighted to see a Roe Deer bounding up the hill, a first for me at this site.
The pond had agood number today including the resident Mute Swans, Mallard and Coot, a smaller number of BH Gulls than usual but the Red necked Grebe and Male and Female Goosander were showing well.
On the other side of the railway line the Linnet flock seemed to have increased to 200+ probably made up of mixed flock but too distant to ID.
By 12.00 it had started to drizzle, so made my way back to the car calling in at the feeding station for a quick look.
As I arrived a GSW flew in and settled on a branch, it was soon disturbed on flew off not to be seen again.
Good numbers of Tree Sparrow were feeding on the ground 15+ along with Dunnock and Chaffinch.
So two firsts for me today on my local patch the RNGrebe and the Roe Deer ;);)
Apologies for the pics, the lighting was poor

Attachments

• DUNNOCKCBWBF.jpg
    DUNNOCKCBWBF.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 241
  • GOOSANDERMALECBWBF.jpg
    GOOSANDERMALECBWBF.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 244
  • RNGCBWBF.jpg
    RNGCBWBF.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 233
  • TREESPARROWCBWBF.jpg
    TREESPARROWCBWBF.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 241
Congrats on getting to see the RN Grebe Paul :t: We could do with a brighter day really. The deer I've seen a few times but by no means regularly. Usually there are three together.

I never made it today. The afternoon was too dull so I just popped down to Saltholme and rec Pond for half an hour. The RN Grebe is still there so that's definitely two of them and possibly at least three as there was one at Hartlepool Headland last weekend.

IanF said:
Hi Steve,

I can't say for sure, but I think it's a different one altogether. I've only had very distant views of the one on Rec Pond. This one seems to have far more colour on the neck.

I concur. Had very close (& scoped) views of the Rec Pond RNG - as you say this one showed more Red Neck for want of a better phrase.

Ian/Paul - i assume the remote house with the windmill is the visitors centre you refer too, any further info for us travellers? - been to CBCP several times as you know without visiting it.

On a similar didn't know thing, when we visited (2/1) with local RSPB group, they were aware of the park, but not the feeding station. Siskins were appreciated from outside.

Hi Steve,

The first post in this thread gives details of the park and the facilities and opening times for the visitors centre. I think they term it an 'activity centre' as really it's aimed at kids and families and school parties.

There are information boards around the site some with maps and leaflets.

The feeding station is through the small gate opposite the entrance to the car park. The gate has a sign on it saying 'Feeding Station' ;)

I've attached a DIY map with the main footpaths.

Attachments

• Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park path.jpg
    Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park path.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 239
Just a few pics taken last week

Attachments

• LINNET FLOCK.jpg
    LINNET FLOCK.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 188
  • MUSCOVYSCWPBF.jpg
    MUSCOVYSCWPBF.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 192
  • YELLOWHAMMER.jpg
    YELLOWHAMMER.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 192
I had another look around the Park this morning with my wife who wanted to see the Red-necked Grebe. Another gloomy day.

We bumped into StevieEvans with a couple of friends as they were just leaving - having seen the RN Grebe, Kingfisher and a flock of Redpoll.

Heading up the hedgeline beside the 'activity centre' we startled five Redwing from the hedge. We then came across 25+ Siskin on the alders by the railway lines along with a couple of Goldcrest and Goldfinches.

Approaching the pond a large flock 200+ birds were on the other side of the railways lines and wheeling overhead - mostly comprising Linnet. A few Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and a couple of Tree Sparrow were in the pond side bushes.

The pond itself held fewer birds than normal. The RN Grebe was present still giving good views mainly in front of the defunct hide and along towards the conservation area. There were two female Goosander but no sign of the males today. Other birds were Goldeneye (fem), Grey Heron, Pochard, Shoveler, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen and a single Cormorant. The Muscovy were certainly approachable taking bread from the hand which encouraged a couple of Mallard to do likewise!

Along the path to the north from the hide there were several mixed flocks of 20-30 birds comprising Greenfinch, Yellowhammer, Siskin, Goldfinch, Tree Sparrow and Chaffinch. I spotted six Redpoll either in pairs or singly.

Heading back towards the car park there was a flock of 25+ Meadow Pipit and in the trees above the car park a single Great Spotted Woodpecker though flocks of a dozen or so birds were repeatedly landing and taking off from the tree tops.

Attachments

• IMG_8725co.JPG
    IMG_8725co.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_8710co.JPG
    IMG_8710co.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_8779ao.JPG
    IMG_8779ao.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_8914ao.JPG
    IMG_8914ao.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_8918ao.JPG
    IMG_8918ao.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 193
Well done with the RN Grebe pics Ian, best yet, hopefully the weather will change by Wed (my day off) for a chance of some good pics ;)

pauliev69 said:
Well done with the RN Grebe pics Ian, best yet, hopefully the weather will change by Wed (my day off) for a chance of some good pics ;)
Thanks for info Ian, our best ever views of RNG (other RNG was still on Rec 10mins later).
Our first visit to Cowpen Bewley & i cant believe how many times i passed it without hardlies a glance..... we'll be back. SE

A sunny day today, I was enthusiastic of getting some good photos.
The car park area had the usual Greenfinch, Goldfinchmand good numbers of Tree Sparrow.
The pond had 3 Female Goosander, Shovelor,Pochard, Tufted Duck and the RNGrebe, managed a few closer photos of the Grebe as it swam close to the bankside near the old hide.
The flock of Linnet were still present opposite the railway track, a fellow birder told me he had seen Twite in this area, possibly part of the linnet flock?
The feeding area was busy today sightings included:-
Willow Tit
Marsh Tit
Yellowhammer
Blue & Great Tit
Long tailed Tit
Greenfinch & Chaffinch
Dunnock
Tree Sparrow
Coal Tit
Blackbird
A Female GSW visited the feeding area on 5 seperate occasions.
And just an update On the " Muscovy Ducks", I spoke to the ranger today and she told me the Ducks were brought over from a nieghbouring pond Charltons, they were under threat from some malicious group, sad really, but they seem quite happy here!

Attachments

• gswcbwpbf.jpg
    gswcbwpbf.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 216
  • rngcbwpbf.jpg
    rngcbwpbf.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 216
  • wtitcbwbf.jpg
    wtitcbwbf.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 200
  • yhamcbwbf.jpg
    yhamcbwbf.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 213
  • rngcbwbf2.jpg
    rngcbwbf2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 215
Recorded sightings
Please update new sightings
(In no order)
1.BLACK HEADED GULL
2.BLACKBIRD
3.BLUE TIT
4.BULLFINCH
5.CHAFFINCH
6.COAL TIT
7.COOT
8.DUNNOCK
9.FERAL PIGEON
10.GADWALL
11.GOLDCREST
12.GOLDENEYE
13.GOOSANDER
14.GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER
15.GREAT TIT
16.GREENFINCH
17.GREY WAGTAIL
18.KESTREL
19.LINNET
20.LONG TAILED TIT
21.MAGPIE
22.MALLARD
23.MOORHEN
24.MUTE SWAN
25.PHEASANT
26.PIED WAGTAIL
27.POCHARD
28.REDWING
29.REED BUNTING
30.ROOK
31.SHELDUCK
32.SISKIN
33.STARLING
34.TREE SPARROW
35.TUFTED DUCK
36.WAXWING
37.WILLOW TIT
38.WREN
39.YELLOWHAMMER
40.RED NECKED GREBE
41.MARSH TIT
42.CROW
43.SHOVELER
44.CORMORANT
45.LESSER REDPOLL
46.KINGFISHER
47.MEADOW PIPIT
48.SPARROWHAWK
49.LITTLE GREBE
50.GOLDFINCH
51.FIELDFARE
52.ROBIN
53.SANDERLING
54.SHORT EARED OWL
55.LITTLE EGRET
56.GREY PARTRIDGE
57.STONECHAT
58.GOLDEN PLOVER
59.OYSTERCATCHER
60.REDSHANK
61.GREY HERON
62.BLACKCAP
63.WOODCOCK
64.SKYLARK
65.SAND MARTIN
66.LESSER BLACK BACKED GULL
67.CHIFFCHAFF
68.BARN SWALLOW
69.WILLOW WARBLER
70.JACKDAW
71.NORTHERN WHEATEAR
72.COMMON WHITETHROAT
73.GRASSHOPPER WARBLER
74.SEDGE WARBLER
75.COMMON SANDPIPER

Updated as new species are seen.

Good selection of birds there Paul. Lucky you getting to take advantage of a nice sunny day. Nice to see there's some Waxwing still around as well.

A visit this afternoon in bright but overcast conditions with a stiff breeze from the west 6° - 14:00-16:00 brought -

Car Park -

Treesparrow, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blackbird, Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Paths -

In addition to above Bullfinch x2, Song thrush, Mistle Thrush x2, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit x30, Linnet x250, Yellowhammer x25, Long-tailed Tit x6, Wren, Robin, Magpie, Crow, Rook, Goldcrest.

Main Pond -

Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Goosander x1 (fem), Goldeneye x1 (fem), Little Grebe, RN Grebe, Gadwall, Shoveler, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Muscovy Duck x2, Pochard.

Feeding station -

Nothing new there today though it was notable the GSW paid two visits whilst I was there, just the one Willow Tit, Tree Sparrow x12+, Yellowhammer x3.

Notable points from today -

No sign of Siskin or Redpoll which were regulars until this visit though they could have been in with the 250+ flock of Linnet on east side of railway lines.

Goldfinch x25 roosting in bushes beside car park entrance at 15:50.

Yellowhammer x25+ were roosting in the bushes by the stream by the outlet pipe.

Bullfinch pair were where the straight hedge meets the railway line.

Sparrowhawk flew over the main pond east to west 20' above water.

RN Grebe stuck to the north side of the pond tracking east and west as it fed. Goldeneye in the same area.

Attachments

• IMG_9512ao.JPG
    IMG_9512ao.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_9423ao.JPG
    IMG_9423ao.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_9630ao.JPG
    IMG_9630ao.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9395ao.JPG
    IMG_9395ao.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_9465ao.JPG
    IMG_9465ao.JPG
    191.5 KB · Views: 114
IanF said:
A visit this afternoon in bright but overcast conditions with a stiff breeze from the west 6° - 14:00-16:00 brought -

Car Park -

Treesparrow, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blackbird, Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Paths -

In addition to above Bullfinch x2, Song thrush, Mistle Thrush x2, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel, Meadow Pipit x30, Linnet x250, Yellowhammer x25, Long-tailed Tit x6, Wren, Robin, Magpie, Crow, Rook, Goldcrest.

Main Pond -

Mute Swan, Tufted Duck, Goosander x1 (fem), Goldeneye x1 (fem), Little Grebe, RN Grebe, Gadwall, Shoveler, Mallard, Coot, Moorhen, Muscovy Duck x2, Pochard.

Feeding station -

Nothing new there today though it was notable the GSW paid two visits whilst I was there, just the one Willow Tit, Tree Sparrow x12+, Yellowhammer x3.

Notable points from today -

No sign of Siskin or Redpoll which were regulars until this visit though they could have been in with the 250+ flock of Linnet on east side of railway lines.

Goldfinch x25 roosting in bushes beside car park entrance at 15:50.

Yellowhammer x25+ were roosting in the bushes by the stream by the outlet pipe.

Bullfinch pair were where the straight hedge meets the railway line.

Sparrowhawk flew over the main pond east to west 20' above water.

RN Grebe stuck to the north side of the pond tracking east and west as it fed. Goldeneye in the same area.

Nice review of the birding there Ian! I'm going there on Sunday if the weather is fine, hope to catch a few birds. I have some idea of what to look out for now as well ;) :t:

Hi Ian
Like Cuddy I have passed this site on numerous occasions on my way to Salterholme ponds and North Gare and never gave it a second glance, after reading the various sightings from this park will have to definitely pay a visit soon.
Hoping to get down that area on Saturday for the tour of the prospective Salterholme Park area, sounds as though it could be a good prospect.

DenBee

Last edited:
pauliev69 said:
44.CORMORANT
Update of sightings for CBWP
45.LESSER REDPOLL
46.KINGFISHER
47.MEADOW PIPIT
Ian please list any I have missed ;)
Well done with the pics today

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back