• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (4 Viewers)

Went to Cowpen this afternoon saw the Ring necked duck ad redpoll but i was shocked to see a woodcock up near the monument on the hill

There's a few Woodcock around. The dog walkers are always putting them up. It's just a shame you have to just about stand on them before you see them.

A lovely sunny morning for a look around the Park. A little chilly though following another very heavy frost overnight.

On the whole things were pretty quiet. Even the car park tables and feeding station seemed much less active than of late. A pair of Greylag Geese flew over as I arrived.

No sign of any Redpolls or Siskin today in the alders by the hill, in fact only LTT x2, Blackbirds and a Song Thrush.

There were fewer birds on the lake as well. The RN Duck and drake Goldeneye were still present but fewer Gadwall and even the Coot numbers were down. Heron x3 were roosting in the dead tree on the west side with a Sparrowhawk in the hedge behind. By mid-morning though they'd all gone though a Sparrowhawk and a Kestrel were in flight over the lake and over the hillside to the north. For some reason the Goldeneye decided to take off and loop the lake three times before landing again.

Whilst sat at the twin benches the Water Rail were again calling from the NE corner. A pair of Blue Tit, Great Tit and Reed Bunting travelled several times back and forth through the sparse bushes either side. My first Skylark of the year was singing just behind us as well from the other side of the railway as it rose in display flight.

I wandered around to the hide corner where I came across the wardens removing the crab apple tree. A shame to see it go as it was a heavy cropper and a good source of food for the birds. Apparently the underlying landfill is getting more exposed and the bankside is to be capped over. There's no more news about the replacement bridge. Basically it's down to money or at least the lack of it until some grants come through.

There was little else to see other than the odd Robin and Dunnock singing as I headed back to the car park. The feeding station despiet lots of food was pretty empty. Tits, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Dunock and even a few Goldfinch came in whilst I was there but it was never very active.

Attachments

• IMG_4892a.jpg
    IMG_4892a.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4951a.jpg
    IMG_4951a.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_5049a.jpg
    IMG_5049a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5132a.jpg
    IMG_5132a.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5230a.jpg
    IMG_5230a.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 53
Monday 10am+

A few hours there with the glorious sunshine...
Car Park feeding tables very busy, 20 sparrow, 4 Yellowhammer, 2 Blue Tit, 5 Great Tit, Dunnock, Blackbird, 7 Reed Bunting, Wren, and I finally get to see the Brambling here.
The trip to the lake was very quiet, lake had the usual with a large number of tufted ducks over on the far south-west side. Goldeneye and Ring Necked Duck still there, both coming close when I got the bag of food out!

Attachments

• _MG_7112.jpg
    _MG_7112.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_7146.jpg
    _MG_7146.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 32
  • _MG_7163.jpg
    _MG_7163.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 41
  • _MG_7185.jpg
    _MG_7185.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 37
  • _MG_7188.jpg
    _MG_7188.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 37
You must have filled the RN Duck Ray 8-P It remained pretty distant when I called this afternoon. The Goldeneye came close though. The Mute Swans got quite worked up when another pair flew over the lake trying to land. The friendly Robin was begging for food as well.

The Water Rails were calling from the north side reeds but I didn't see them at all.

A Sparrowhawk was over the west side of the lake and a Kestrel overhead as I made my way back to the car park.

I was beginning to think the Brambling had moved on as I've not seen it in the last week.

Also pair of Grey Wagtail were feeding on the roof of the leachate compound when I arrived. First ones I've seen this year.

As you say it was a lovely sunny day to be out.

Attachments

• IMG_9476ao.jpg
    IMG_9476ao.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9678a.jpg
    IMG_9678a.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9757a.jpg
    IMG_9757a.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9671a.jpg
    IMG_9671a.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9564a.jpg
    IMG_9564a.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 30
The morning was brighter than expected so I popped over again. Still pretty overcast but bright on an off.

Pretty much the same seen today. RN Duck and Goldeneye pair still on lake and Water Rails calling again but not seen. A new pair of Mute Swan tried to land again but were seen off. A pair of Canada Goose made it to the water and even onto the grassy island but 40 mins of hounding by the male Mue Swan proved too much and the left again. A pair of Mute Swan were on Claxton Beck as well.

Sparrowhawk x3 seen with two perched by the lake inbetween hunting the margins and another seen displaying quite high up over the lake.

Two hares were on the track north side of the lake and two rabbits by the hide. Walking through Faith Wood a weasel scuttled across the path.

It was nice to see a few more birds dispersed around the park. Chaffinches were just about everywhere but also Great Tit, Blue Tit, LTT, Dunnock, Robin, Yellow Hammer, Goldfinch, Reed Bunting and Bullfinch.

The car park tables were a little quieter today though still plenty of Reed Bunting and Tree Sparrow.

The feeding station as busy on an off. There semed to be 2-3 groups of LTT coming in either in pairs, threes or seven. At least a dozen Yellowhammer. As well as the usual birds a female Brambling was back visiting the table nearest the entrance.

A GSW came in a couple of times but never fed. Likewise with Goldfinch and Bullfinch.

Rat x3 and a Bank Vole from under one of the wood piles were frequent visitors taking food.

Attachments

• IMG_0004ao.jpg
    IMG_0004ao.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0028ao.jpg
    IMG_0028ao.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0029ao.jpg
    IMG_0029ao.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0072bbo.jpg
    IMG_0072bbo.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0090ao.jpg
    IMG_0090ao.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 38
A few more photos from today

Attachments

• IMG_0117ao.jpg
    IMG_0117ao.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0190ao.jpg
    IMG_0190ao.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0258ao.jpg
    IMG_0258ao.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0212aoVole.jpg
    IMG_0212aoVole.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0124a.jpg
    IMG_0124a.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 40
A look back yesterday morning just to the lake and back. A lovely sunny morning though still a little chilly with quite a heavy frost again.

The sun seems to have got the birds singing with Dunnock, Robin and Reed Bunting singing by the car park. A Wren was feeding in the reeds.

Around 20 Goldfinch were feeding in the alders between the visitor centre and the small hill.

A Yellowhammer was at the top of a tree by the railway singing it's heart out as well a Skylark over the field behind.

The lake looked pretty quiet for birds, in fact very few were in view when I arrived but as I sat on the twin benches quite a few shot out from below the bank in front of me. Sure enough the RN Duck was still there. The female Goldeneye was out in the middle but no sign of the male at first. After 20 mins he suddenly appeared right in front of me.

A Grey Heron was pereched over the reeds on the west side and three Little Grebe were below the reeds. They were calling regularly. The Water Rail were much quieter this visit but still calling occasionally from the north side reeds.

After about an hour the Goldeneye came together and the female lay prostrate flat out in the water by the male which appeared disinterested at first as it preened and stretched it's legs and wings right beside her. She was the one making all the play. He was totally indifferent to her advances but after several minutes of persistent pestering he obliged in the end - playing hard to get I guess!

Not the gentlest of couplings. After nearly drowning her he grabbed a mouthful of feathers and hauled her head clear of the water as they pirouetted several times before separating explosively in opposite directions each of them rising up on their legs dsplaying.

Not long after a Kingfisher flew straight towards us landing below the edge of the bank to the right of us. A few minutes later it flew back across the lake to the reeds only to reappear within a couple of minutes flying back towards us before veering away again landing on one of the dead tree stumps sticking out of the water opposite. I didn't see it fishing. After a while it flew behind the reedy island.

Two Sparrowhawks were in the corner in their usual spot.

Heading back to the car park a few Goldfinch were in the same area I'd seen them earlier.

Attachments

• IMG_0742a.jpg
    IMG_0742a.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0964a.jpg
    IMG_0964a.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1517b.jpg
    IMG_1517b.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1529a.jpg
    IMG_1529a.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1571a.jpg
    IMG_1571a.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 48
A revisit this morning. A lovely sunny start to the day, much better than expected. A little warmer too starting off though it cooled down quite bit mid morning.

After being dropped off at the car park I headed off along the cycleway as I'd not walked that way for quite a while. First birds of note were a pair of Mute Swans circling and eventually landing by the car park ponds. Next up was a male Pheasant in the rough grass just before the sewage works.

The hedges were pretty quiet apart from Tits until I'd almost reached Faith Wood where I came across a pair of LTT building a nest in an overhanging bush right beside the path. Every few seconds they were taking in bits and pieces.

A Song Thrush was singing in the trees a little further along.

Crossing Cloff Bridge I carried on along the track disturbing two Grey Partridge from the left side of the track. The next 200m of hedges held six singing male Yellowhammer two of which were paired up. Also singing Dunnock and several singing Skylark. A flock of Treesparrow were in the end of the hedge opposite the smoking manure heaps.

I retraced my stweps to the bridge and turned left following the beck not seeing a great deal at all before reaching the lake. Even the lake looked pretty quiet. The Water Rails were in the reeds in front of the bench near the hide but only gave brief glimpses.

The RN Duck was still there as was the male Goldeneye. Very few tufties though. Gadwall numbers were around 20 and Coot about the same. A Grey Heron was perched on a platform on the west side and Little Grebes x3 were along the reedy edge.

Best sighting of the day was a pair of Kingfishers. The first time I've seen two together since last summer. They were checking out various perches around the lake and at one point landed on the west side opposite the twin beches and perched side by side for about an hour before leaving separately towards Cow Bridge Beck.

I saw two Sparrowhawks by the lake but only in flight today.

Heading back to the car park there was nothing new. I called in at the feeding station which was mostly pretty quiet despite loads of food. A GSW made a brief visit as did a pair of LTT and a Wren. A vole was present again popping out from under the same wood pile. Very few Yellowhammer or Reed Bunting and just one Coal Tit.

Attachments

• IMG_3881ao.jpg
    IMG_3881ao.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4057ao.jpg
    IMG_4057ao.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4072bo.jpg
    IMG_4072bo.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4073bo.jpg
    IMG_4073bo.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4163a.jpg
    IMG_4163a.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 51
A few more photos from this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3991a.jpg
    IMG_3991a.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3999a.jpg
    IMG_3999a.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4294a.jpg
    IMG_4294a.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4374a.jpg
    IMG_4374a.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4385aa.jpg
    IMG_4385aa.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 43
A pretty decent morning for a wander around. A fair bit of cloud around but still bright and a little warmer than it has been.

I only made it as far as the lake and back today.

The main event was that the Ring-necked Duck wasn't around nor the female Tufted Duck it had been hanging around with. There were still Tufted Duck x12 all males bar one. The Goldeneye male was still present and around 20 Gadwall. None seemed much interested in coming over for a feed.

Water Rails were calling from several directions making me wonder if there's more than two present after all. One even flew right in front of the benches but I was too late spotting it for a decent photo. A Kingfisher was present from mid-morning onwards checking out various perches again but mostly sat in a tree on the west side. Four Little Grebe today.

Only one Sparrowhawk seen today. Grey Heron x2 passed over heading north. Several Curlew seen in flight.

The friendly Robin was by the benches again as were two Long-tailed Tit but those were about the only other birds seen. On the whole it was pretty quiet.

As I got back to the car park a Brambling was on the middle table but soon disappeared into the hedge. It made a very brief visit to the feeding station. Still a few Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer visiting the feeding station but mostly it was Blue Tits and Great Tits and Tree Sparrows.

Mammals seen today - Rabbits x2 and Rat x2.

Attachments

• IMG_5496ao.jpg
    IMG_5496ao.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5515a.jpg
    IMG_5515a.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5421a.jpg
    IMG_5421a.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_5520ao.jpg
    IMG_5520ao.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5853ao.jpg
    IMG_5853ao.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 47
:clap:Wow that first Kingfisher shot is excellent! with B.H.Gull in the back ground....13th of march. In flight.

Last edited:
A quick look today. Still no RN Duck and no Goldeneye either. A lot less Gadwall but a few more Tufted Duck.

I left just as the Park was being invaded by 100+ kids arriving for an orienteering event.

A lovely sunny morning starting off though a little windy and cloudy towards lunchtime. Quite mild too!

As I got dropped off at the car park a GSW was in the trees above - the first of three sightings today. A Chiffchaff was over towards the sewage works - first of the year for me here.

I started off by following the cycleway towards Cloff Bridge not seeing much apart from a few tits and Chaffinch until reaching Faith Wood. The last 100m to Cloff Bridge held various tits, Chaffinch, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.

Still no sign of the Little Owls but the hedges in that area held several Wren, Dunnock, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, LTT and Tree Sparrow. By the manure heap 100+ Meadow Pipit took off from the field heading west over the cycleway - quite a spectacle!

Quite a few birds singing around there as well with Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Tree Sparrow, Wren and Dunnock plus several Skylark.

Nothing new seen back-tracking to Cloff Birdge and then heading down Claxton Beck to the lake. Standing by the hide another Chiffchaff was calling every now and again over towards Faith Wood. A couple of Bullfinch were behind the hide.

Sitting on the bench near the hide I saw two Kingfishers perched by the lake. They were still there by the time I'd made it around to the twin benches though shortly afterwards the male flew towards me across the lake - unfortunately just as the sun went in!

The lake itself was very quiet with very few of anything - maybe half a dozen Mallard, Tufted Duck, Gadwall, Moorhen and Coot. It was nice to see a pair of Canada Geese back and by the looks of it nesting already on the grassy island. The male Mute Swan must have been going dizzy chasing one of the geese round and round the island. The Swans are also nesting again.

There were several fly-overs by a male and female Kestrel, also Wood Pigeon, Crow, Black-headed Gulls and a LBB Gull which landed on the lake. Going by the calls I'd say there were at least six Little Grebe and one pair of Water Rail.

Returning to the car park I paid the feeding station a quick visit. Very quiet with just the odd Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Blue Tit and Great Tit. I think the Reed Buntings were the most numerous species! The car park tables were pretty much the same species.

Attachments

• IMG_1116ao.jpg
    IMG_1116ao.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1236ao.jpg
    IMG_1236ao.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1412ao.jpg
    IMG_1412ao.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1136ao.jpg
    IMG_1136ao.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1374aoo.jpg
    IMG_1374aoo.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 45
A look around this morning just over to the lake and back.

The car park tables were quite active when I arrived with lots of Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting and Great Tits and Blue Tits.

A Wren, Dunnock and Reed Bunting were singing by the gate out of the car park.

Not a great deal seen heading over to the lake but Yellowhammer, Chaffinch, Dunnock, Wren, Skylark and Meadow Pipit were singing in the bushes by the railway and lake plus a pair of Robin chasing each other around.

The lake was pretty quiet still though it was nice to see a male and female Goldneye back. The male was coming close for food but as usual the female stayed distant. Shoveler x12 (6 pairs) were busy feeding as were around a dozen Gadwall. Little Grebe x6 were all feeding in the nmiddle of the lake - quite an unusual siight as they're usually just clsoe to the edges. At least one other pair were calling from the reeds on the north side so there maybe more present than I thought. The Water Rails were calling every now and again from the north side reeds as well.

The Kingfishers were present again with two perched in the overhanging tree on the west side well under cover. They moved around a couple of times but I never saw them come out in the hour I was there.

Only two Pochard seen today and only six Tufted Duck. Several Coot and Moorhen around both of which seem to have several nests now. The Coots were even chasing off the Swans and anything other that ventured too close. Only the Canada Goose stood up to them - they're both nesting on the grassy island.

The LBB Gull pair were still there and were chasing off any other LBBG that dropped in. Still lots of BH Gulls.

No Sparrowhawks seen today though there were at least two Kestrels about.

Heading back to the car park three separate Great Spotted Woodpecker flew over all heading in different directions.

Attachments

• IMG_3306ao.jpg
    IMG_3306ao.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3343ao.jpg
    IMG_3343ao.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3387ao.jpg
    IMG_3387ao.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3451ao.jpg
    IMG_3451ao.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3593ao.jpg
    IMG_3593ao.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 41
I was running short of time today so another quick visit around lunchtime.

Bright but overcast with some broken sunshine and fairly strong gusty winds from the SW making it a little on the chilly side.

I just headed straight over to the lake today. I heard my first Willow Warbler of the year singing to the right of the main track heading over to the lake. It was singing on and off with almost a full song. Nearing the railway a Chiffchaff was singing loudly from between the hill and the visitor centre.

The lake wasn't too bad for birds with pretty muich the same as on my last visit though today there were Goldeneye x4 on lake (3f, 1m) and one Kingfisher perched on the west bank though it didn't stay for long. I think it headed off through the trees behind towards the beck.

The LBB Gull pair were still present another flying over and several BH Gull.

The Little Grebes were still around and the Water Rails still along the north side though closer to the hide than they have been. The Geese are still nesting and the Swans still chasing them. Another Coot nest has appeared on the end of the 'stone' island.

Heading back to the car park I forked left following the railway to get some close views of the singing Chiffchaff. Unfortunately being school holidays meant lots of kids as well making it quite mobile though only over about 80m.
I dare say that was why the Willow Warbler was no longer singing when I reached that section.

Hopefully they'll stick around for when things brighten a little more.

Attachments

• IMG_5563a.jpg
    IMG_5563a.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5573a.jpg
    IMG_5573a.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5595a.jpg
    IMG_5595a.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5611a.jpg
    IMG_5611a.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5682a.jpg
    IMG_5682a.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 43
A revisit today. What a difference a days makes!

A major influx of migrants overnight and this morning. Lots of Willow Warbler (27) and Chiffchaff (23) around today though it was hard to keep count as more seemed to be arriving. There was a definite drift through of birds from the south side to the nroth side during the morning.

Another nice sight were Blackcaps x6 (5m,1f) with at least two staying put for the moment in the bushes by the single bench on the lake.

The four Goldeneye were still present. Also Shoveler x8 today and Gadwall x6.

I spotted a Woodcock flying north over the lake though I was a little slow in getting the camera onto it.

I thought I heard a Whitethroat somewhere near to the hide but I couldn't locate it again. I could have been mistaken or it may have continued on.

A pair of LTT were nest building near the single bench and Blue Tits were doing the same in a box near the hide.

No Kingfishers or Sparrowhawks today.

Lots of Yellowhammer, Treesparrow, tits and Reed Bunting coming to the car park tables still as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5715ao.jpg
    IMG_5715ao.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_5963ao.jpg
    IMG_5963ao.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5987ao.jpg
    IMG_5987ao.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6177ao.jpg
    IMG_6177ao.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_6010ao.jpg
    IMG_6010ao.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 35
lovely sunny day for a walk along from greatham, the place was awash with the song of chiffchaff and willow warblers. the usual birds on the lake with a pair of goldeneye displaying and a few shoveler at the back, 2 lbb gulls on the cormorant island. mute swan, canada goose and coot all seem to be on or building nests. a kingfisher flew along the beck and a buzzard was riding the thermals above the surrounding farm fields which held grey partridge. good number of tree sparrow in the car park and the usual tit species. the ponds also had quite a few frogs warming in the sun.

Shelduck x8 on the lake this afternoon. Kingfisher x1 in overhanging tree on west side of lake. Goldeneye x4 (1m, 3f) still present. Water Rails calling from north side reeds.

A lot fewer Willow Warbler and Chiffchaff today.

Similar numbers of shelduck and goldeneye when I went over this weekend. Wandered across shortly before sunset and was a fair bit of kingfisher noise before seeing one scudding about - all on the main lake.

Oh and why do they even bother with dog lead zones. The few who actually bother to have some responsibility will be careful anyway, the rest couldn't give a toss whether there are signs or not.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back