• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (11 Viewers)

I agree with your sentiments - though an odd comment to make. I assume you've seen the advisory on TBC web site following a couple of incidents of poor behaviour. It would be a shame for it to move on earlier than it might otherwise do if left alone.

It was still singing last night.

I've been several times and on the whole everyone has been well behaved staying well back from the side of the beck above where it perches. The only bad behaviour I've seen personally was on one occasion one guy sitting on the side of the beck right below the bush it's been singing from - though apparently after I left he tried to lure it out with recordings but only succeeded in stressing the bird. On another occasion a guy was stood right below the same bush obviously hoping for it to appear despite his presence.

The Nightingale showed well in the open in the sun for around 30 seconds at 7.20 pm this evening. It then flew across the grassed area to the trees behind where everyone was stood and circled behind the bird watchers going to ground in a dense bush. At 8.00 pm it briefly burst into song no more than 3m immediately behind where everyone was stood.

Attachments

• IMG_5379a.jpg
    IMG_5379a.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_5377a.jpg
    IMG_5377a.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5363a.jpg
    IMG_5363a.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5362a.jpg
    IMG_5362a.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_5338a.jpg
    IMG_5338a.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 46
The Nightingale showed well in the open in the sun for around 30 seconds at 7.20 pm this evening. It then flew across the grassed area to the trees behind where everyone was stood and circled behind the bird watchers going to ground in a dense bush. At 8.00 pm it briefly burst into song no more than 3m immediately behind where everyone was stood.
Nice shots Ian, a pleasure to read this thread as always.:t: Sorry to hear of a "few" bad apples in the "cart" so to speak.

Last edited:
Pretty much the same again this morning though with a good number of hirundines over the Park and lake.

Nightingale still singing though seems to have relocated 50m east to a hawthorn bush behind the hide immediately to the left of the handrail by the steps. It was singing for a good hour when I was there this morning and could be viewed perched in the centre of the bush but never showed itself in the open.

Other birds of note were House Martin c.30, Swift c.20, Sand Martin c.15 over the lake, Tufted Duck x12, Gadwall x6, Little Grebe x2, Kestrel, Great Spotted Woodpecker. Still singing were Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Garden Warbler, Lesser Whitethroat, Sedge Warbler, Whitethroat.

Attachments

• IMG_2556aa.jpg
    IMG_2556aa.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2539a.jpg
    IMG_2539a.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_2500a.jpg
    IMG_2500a.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2559a.jpg
    IMG_2559a.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2572a.jpg
    IMG_2572a.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 35
Nearly a month gone by and no update. Not a great deal has changed other than the Nightingale had gone by 20th May. I didn't hear it again after that.

I had a walk over to the lake and back this morning. I'd have stayed longer but the sunny weather took a turn for the worse as some heavy clouds moved in.

Lots of birds still singing this morning and a few young birds around as well - Blackcap, Bullfinch, Whitethroat, Blackbird, Blue Tit - though not as many as I expected to see. The only bird of prey was a Kestrel which has been a regular sighting and I suspect must be breeding here again from it's activity today. No sign of Sparrowhawks or Kingfishers though.

The lake was pretty quiet but there were at least two famillies of Mallard with young, plus some young Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen and Gadwall. I saw three Little Grebe but didn't see any chicks.

Lots of Swifts over the lake plus a few Swallow, House Martin and Sand Martin. Waders are uncommon here as there's so little suitable habitat other than the tidal streams so a pair of Oystercatchers fying over was nice to see. The highlight of the day though were two Spoonbill flying over the lake coming in from the NE and circling overhead back towards the SE. There's been 3-4 at Saltholme over the last few weeks so I guess it must be some from there having a fly around.

Despite the sunshine there were very few insects about. Plenty of damselflies but five Four-spot Chasers were the only large dragonflies I saw, one by the car park ponds and four over the dragonfly/newt scrapes by the hide.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood x1, Small Tortoiseshell, Ringlet x3, several whites.

Attachments

• IMG_0029a.jpg
    IMG_0029a.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9893a.jpg
    IMG_9893a.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_9970a.jpg
    IMG_9970a.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9994a.jpg
    IMG_9994a.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0079a.jpg
    IMG_0079a.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 44
Still pretty quiet as regards bird species to see though plenty singing. I had alook over to the lake again yesterday morning.

A nice sight was a Grasshopper Warbler in the small trees alongside the drive leading up to the visitor centre. It was perched in the lower rances showing quite well.

Saw my first Common Darter of the year as well by the car park ponds. A few damselflies but no other larger dragonflies. Families of Reed Bunting and Whitethroat were flitting about the reeds.

Only Four-spot Chasers on the scrapes beside the hide. A Chiffchaff was singing loudly in the 'alley'. A Blackcap was nearby plus several Blue Tit and Great Tit.

At least one Little Grebe juvenile has survived as it was feeding in the NE corner alongside a Gadwall female with four young chicks. More Gadwall were scattered about, likewise with families of Tufted Duck and Mallard.

Nothing new seen heading back to the car park.

Butterflies seen - Common Blue, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Small Tortoiseshell, Ringlet, Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_1959a.jpg
    IMG_1959a.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1976a.jpg
    IMG_1976a.jpg
    184 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2047b.jpg
    IMG_2047b.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1662a.jpg
    IMG_1662a.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_2059a.jpg
    IMG_2059a.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 56
Very quiet still around the park. Quite a few ducks on the lake with Gadwall and Tufted Duck having new broods. Others included Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe.

The Terrapin was still on the ponds by the car park.

A few more dragonflies around today though still not great numbers - Common Darter, Ruddy Darter, a hawker and lots of damselflies.

Attachments

• IMG_7611a.jpg
    IMG_7611a.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7639a.jpg
    IMG_7639a.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_7661a.jpg
    IMG_7661a.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 46
Still very quiet for birds. Even the lake was pretty much deserted apart from Mallard c.20 and Tufted Duck x6. Three pairs of Little Grebe were present but just one pair had chicks - three very young fluffy bundles. The only other bird of note was a Kestrel.

A few more dragonflies around with Common Hawker x2 and Brown Hawker x2 and several Common Darter and the odd Ruddy Darter.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood, Common Blue, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_2260a.jpg
    IMG_2260a.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2246a.jpg
    IMG_2246a.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2263a.jpg
    IMG_2263a.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2282a.jpg
    IMG_2282a.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 52
A pleasant sunny afternoon yesterday for a wander around the park.

On arrival a very approachable young Crow was in the car park sat on one of the cars. Apparently it's been a regular the last few days sitting on cars and begging for food. A daschund was on the ground below. When I threw out some bread the other side of the car park the Crow flew over and the dog scuttled after it to eat more bread than the Crow took!

By the bridge on the entrance track to the visitor centre a young Sedge Warbler was flitting about the bushes. The small ponds held a few dragonflies but not that many and only damselflies and a few Common Darter. The terrapin was still on the furthest pond. Moorhen, Coot and Mallard were present as well.

I headed over to the lake along the hard core track seeing several Magpies, Crows and a Kestrel.

Still pretty quiet on the lake. Around 20 Mallard came to bread plus a few Moorhen and Coot. Gadwall c.8 didn't come close nor the 3 Pochard. I could see two pairs of Little Grebe families. One very young family of three chicks and another pair with two older chicks.

As I walked around to the hide the odd Whitethroat flitted about and there was a fair bit of twittering in the bushes but I've no idea what they were.

In front of the hide I spotted a Brown Hawker flying back and forth in front of the reeds, then another and then another. Two mated and after separating two disappear to the north side amongst the reeds. The other remained giving good views. Whenever it clouded over it settled in the reeds out of sight only to reappear when the sun came out again. Whilst watching it a Banded Demoiselle, the first I've seen this year, flew back and forth along the reeds as well before disappearing back along the southern edge.

There was little activity over the scrapes by the hide. Occasionally a Migrant Hawker or a Brown Hawker appeared but never to land in view plus several Common Darter and damselflies were about. In the clearing to the south side of the small wood I spotted a Migrant Hawker as it landed and a grabbed a few photos.

Just as I left I bumped into a park regular who'd just seen an adult Kingfisher along Claxton Beck so I went back for a look but didn't see it. At least they're still around and hopefully bred not too far away.

I then headed back to the car park.

Butterflies seen - Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood (lots), Small Heath, Red Admiral, Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_3920a.jpg
    IMG_3920a.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3924a.jpg
    IMG_3924a.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3942a.jpg
    IMG_3942a.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4355a.jpg
    IMG_4355a.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4327a.jpg
    IMG_4327a.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 45
A few dragonflies.

Attachments

• IMG_4239a.jpg
    IMG_4239a.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4265a.jpg
    IMG_4265a.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4064a.jpg
    IMG_4064a.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_4171a.jpg
    IMG_4171a.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4279a.jpg
    IMG_4279a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 68
Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - am - Lake - Ruff, Wood Sandpiper x2, Greenshank x2, Sparrowhawk, Kestrel. Lots of warblers in the lakeside bushes including Whitethroat with Blackcap, Willow Warbler and 6+ Chiffchaff singing. Little Grebe juveniles x3 plus three adults.

Bullfinch family by car park. Juvenile Crow still in car park. It hopped onto my arm when I tried to shoo it off the car roof and perched quietly as I carried it across the car park to the tyres.

Quite a few butterflies around today. Mainly Speckled Wood but a few Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and Wall Brown.

Only Common darters and a few damselflies.

Attachments

• IMG_3108a.jpg
    IMG_3108a.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3133a.jpg
    IMG_3133a.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2795a.jpg
    IMG_2795a.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3040a.jpg
    IMG_3040a.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3176a.jpg
    IMG_3176a.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 59
Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - am - Seven sightings of Kingfisher along the beck though only three seen in view together with an adult feeding young. At least four in total present. Around the lake - Heron, Sparrowhawk, Canada Geese x12, Little Grebe x7 (3 juv), Gadwall, Wigeon, Teal, Moorhen, Coot, Mallard. In the bushes - Blue Tit, Great Tit, Robin, Dunnoock, Goldcrest & Great Spotted Woodpecker x2. Wren and Reed Warbler x2 in reeds by the hide.

Dragonflies - Southern Hawker x1, Migrant Hawker x12, Common Darter and several damselflies.

Butterflies - Small Tortoiseshell, Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Red Admiral.

Attachments

• IMG_5754a.jpg
    IMG_5754a.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_5731a.jpg
    IMG_5731a.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5821a.jpg
    IMG_5821a.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_5939a.jpg
    IMG_5939a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6081a.jpg
    IMG_6081a.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 52
A good long while since I last visited let alone posted!

I had a walk across to the lake late afternoon after I'd heard the Ring-necked Duck was back again. Sure enough it was still there and pretty close to the bank due to the lake being 99.9% frozen over.

Whilst watching it a Short-eared Owl was hunting alongside the railway line but left after being mobbed by a Magpie and a Heron.

Attachments

• IMG_0018a.jpg
    IMG_0018a.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_9980a.jpg
    IMG_9980a.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_9947a.jpg
    IMG_9947a.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 30
Miserable weather again this morning. It's warmed up again and the lake has completely thawed. Good for the ducks but not so good for viewing.

RN Duck still present. Distant views only now the lake has thawed. Finch flock by the lake comprising Goldfinch c.20, Greenfinch x2, Lesser Redpoll x1. Kestrel.

Larger finch flock c.100 in trees either side of track to visitor centre comprising mostly Goldfinch but also Siskin c.12 & Redpoll c.12.

Feeding station was quite busy. Mostly tit species Blue, Great, Coal and one Willow Tit. Great Spotted Woodpecker. Tree Sparrow x2. Bullfinch x2, Greenfinch c.6 , Chaffinch 12+, Robin, Blackbird.

Car park tables - as above with more Tree Sparrow c.12 & Reed Bunting. The friendly Crow was still landing on car roofs .

Attachments

• IMG_0107a.jpg
    IMG_0107a.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0111a.jpg
    IMG_0111a.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0182a.jpg
    IMG_0182a.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0171aa.jpg
    IMG_0171aa.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0209a.jpg
    IMG_0209a.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 40
Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - am - RN Duck still present. Gadwall x24, Tufted Duck x8. Sparrowhawk & Kestrel. Bullfinch x8 in trees beside visitor centre. Car park tables Tree Sparrow 20+

Attachments

• IMG_0347a.jpg
    IMG_0347a.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0358a.jpg
    IMG_0358a.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0440a.jpg
    IMG_0440a.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0264b.jpg
    IMG_0264b.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0541a.jpg
    IMG_0541a.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 53
Hi Ian

Hope you are well, I have not been on here for a while.

How many years has the Ring Necked Duck been returning to Cowpen Bewley? Is it the same bird returning year after year do you think?

The reason I ask is that when I first saw it, it was the 1st time I had travelled any where to see a bird. It was 2 years ago and I had just started birding.

Matt

Hi Matt,

It's the third appearance here but only over two years as it first appeared here in January 2010 found by Keith Ryan. It left in March 2010 to reappear in January 2011, leaving again in February 2011 and then reappearing this week.

There's a few other earlier reports in the area but not for Cowpen Bewley. I think it's likely it's the same bird following the same migration pattern.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - am - RN Duck still present. Gadwall x24, Tufted Duck x8. Sparrowhawk & Kestrel. Bullfinch x8 in trees beside visitor centre. Car park tables Tree Sparrow 20+

Love your photos Ian

Stunning - especially the Bullfinch :t:

Regards
Kathy
x

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park - am - Ring-necked Duck present but remaining very distant, Goldeneye female, Redshank, Heron. A Redshank flew over the lake.

Jay flew over car park. Tree Sparrow c.20 on car park tables plus Bullfinch female, Reed Bunting and Yellowhammer.

Little Egret x2 on Cowbridge Beck between boardwalk bridge and sewage works fence.

Attachments

• IMG_1729a.jpg
    IMG_1729a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1731a.jpg
    IMG_1731a.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1741a.jpg
    IMG_1741a.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back