• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (8 Viewers)

Cowpen Bewley, Large Red Damsel, Common Blue Damsel, Blue Tail Damsel and Broad Bodied Chaser.
Butterflies, Large White, Green Veined White, Orange Tip,Sm. Tortoisheshell, Speckled Wood,Sm.Copper.
Nightingale still present.

A nice patch tick today. The Nightingale was still singing but a male Red-backed Shrike really stole the show today for me.

Attachments

• IMG_0855a.jpg
    IMG_0855a.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_0859a.jpg
    IMG_0859a.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 96
Visited CBWP last week and even though I never seen either the Red backed Shrike/Nightingale, I was not let down though, all the usual, lots of Warblers/Finches and from the Birdseye viewpoint a flypast from 2 Little Gulls and 2 Whimbrel, a pleasant evening walk, will go back early for Dawn Corus and try and get the Nightingale, don't think the Shrike has been seen since IanF seen it ??......:)

The Shrike was a one day wonder. No sign of it on the Sunday morning or thereafter. The Nightingale is singing well early mornings but infrequently during the day now.

I spent the morning wandering around the park. I covered a bit more ground today.

First bird seen was a Sparrowhawk as I arrived flying over the road into the park.

I checked for the Nightingale which wasn't singing. a Song Thrush was copying it song every now and again and Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler were chipping in.

The lake was pretty quiet as well. Just one Common Tern today. Nice to see one of the Little Grebes in the edge of the reeds. Other than that there were just the odd Coot, Mallard and Moorhen.

Quite a lots of damselflies on the ponds beside the hide with Common Blue, Azure, Blue-tailed and Large Red plus three Four-spotted Chaser.

No sign of the Kingfishers either despite checking the length of the becks and all round the lake.

I then followed the path beside the hill to the railway line coming across half a dozen Speckled Wood butterflies and a late male Orange Tip. I followed the path beside the railway embankment to Greatham not seeing a great deal, just a few butterflies such as Small White, Peacock and Small Tortoisehell. Still it was a pleasant morning for a walk through the fields.

Completing the loop back onto the cycleway I came across just one Yellowhammer. No sign of Tree Sparrows in the usual nesting tree. I checked the path side trees and beck side trees for Little Owl but no joy though the warden later informed me another visitor had seen one in the beck side bushes this morning.

On reaching Cloff Bridge I headed back down North Beck and then to the Nightingale location but struck out on seeing anything of note.

Attachments

• IMG_8699a.jpg
    IMG_8699a.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_8706a.jpg
    IMG_8706a.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_8714a.jpg
    IMG_8714a.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8738a.jpg
    IMG_8738a.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8747a.jpg
    IMG_8747a.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 46
I had a look around the park again yesterday on a fine but mostly overcast morning.

Not a great deal to see. I started from the car park following the track over to the lake. The only birds I saw/heard were a Wren and a couple of Magpies. On reaching the railway I spotted a fox hunting through the tall grass and weeds the other side of the railway. I waited for it to appear crossing the railway but it never did.

Carrying on to the benches the lake was very quiet. A single Tern was on the rocks on the far aide. A Mute Swan, Coot x3, Mallard x2 and a Little Grebe were the only birds in view on the water. A dozen or so Swift were hunting over the water plus a few House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow.

Carrying on around the lake the bushes held lots of fledglings with Goldfinch, Whitethroat, LTT, Dunnock, Great Tit and Blue Tit. The grassy paths held dozens of damselflies but very few butterflies with just Small White seen.

The scrapes by the hide held three Four-spotted Chasers and lots of damselfies. A few small fish and newts were visible in the pond nearest the boardwalk.

I spent 20 minutes by the Nightingale location but not a peep nor had it been singing whilst I was wandering around.

Following North Beck upstream I headed to the cycleway and then along to the metal gate hoping for Little Owl but still no sign, just a couple of Wood Pigeon in the ash trees.

Heading back to Cloff Bridge I carried straight on along the track as I'd not been along there in quite a while. Nothing erally of note to see apart from lots of fledglings again including LTT, Chaffinch and Whitethroat.

Attachments

• IMG_9321a.jpg
    IMG_9321a.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_9334a.jpg
    IMG_9334a.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_9362a.jpg
    IMG_9362a.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_9352a.jpg
    IMG_9352a.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 51
Where has the swan gone?

I had a look around the park again yesterday on a fine but mostly overcast morning.

Not a great deal to see. I started from the car park following the track over to the lake. The only birds I saw/heard were a Wren and a couple of Magpies. On reaching the railway I spotted a fox hunting through the tall grass and weeds the other side of the railway. I waited for it to appear crossing the railway but it never did.

Carrying on to the benches the lake was very quiet. A single Tern was on the rocks on the far aide. A Mute Swan, Coot x3, Mallard x2 and a Little Grebe were the only birds in view on the water. A dozen or so Swift were hunting over the water plus a few House Martin, Sand Martin and Swallow.

Carrying on around the lake the bushes held lots of fledglings with Goldfinch, Whitethroat, LTT, Dunnock, Great Tit and Blue Tit. The grassy paths held dozens of damselflies but very few butterflies with just Small White seen.

The scrapes by the hide held three Four-spotted Chasers and lots of damselfies. A few small fish and newts were visible in the pond nearest the boardwalk.

I spent 20 minutes by the Nightingale location but not a peep nor had it been singing whilst I was wandering around.

Following North Beck upstream I headed to the cycleway and then along to the metal gate hoping for Little Owl but still no sign, just a couple of Wood Pigeon in the ash trees.

Heading back to Cloff Bridge I carried straight on along the track as I'd not been along there in quite a while. Nothing erally of note to see apart from lots of fledglings again including LTT, Chaffinch and Whitethroat.

Hi Ian, I love reading your reports and love watching the wildlife at Cowpen..
When I was there about 3 weeks ago the swan was nesting but for the last week or so there has been no sign of it or its chick. Do you know what happened by any chance?

Thanks Colin.

Hi Ian, I love reading your reports and love watching the wildlife at Cowpen..
When I was there about 3 weeks ago the swan was nesting but for the last week or so there has been no sign of it or its chick. Do you know what happened by any chance?

Thanks Colin.

Thanks for that.

It's a bit of an odd situation with the Swans. There had been a pair living on the main lake for many many years however the male disappeared last year. Though that pair hadn't managed to raise any young for several years. The last few years they laid eggs but they never hatched.

The female is still there and looked as if it built a couple of nests, one in the reeds on the north side and then one on the west side on the island despite there being no mate.

Two other Swans have come and gone but I've not seen any paired up or any with chicks though I wasn't around for about three weeks and may have missed them.

Thanks for that.

It's a bit of an odd situation with the Swans. There had been a pair living on the main lake for many many years however the male disappeared last year. Though that pair hadn't managed to raise any young for several years. The last few years they laid eggs but they never hatched.

The female is still there and looked as if it built a couple of nests, one in the reeds on the north side and then one on the west side on the island despite there being no mate.

Two other Swans have come and gone but I've not seen any paired up or any with chicks though I wasn't around for about three weeks and may have missed them.

Hi Ian,
That's strange because approx. 4 weeks ago the swan was nesting on an egg. I have pictures too. I will resize them and post,
Thanks for the info. What size lens do you use by the way. I have a 70-300 at the minute and I can't zoom enough what size would you recommend?

Colin.

With my DSLR I mostly use a Canon 400mm f5,6 which is what the Shrike photo were taken with plus with the addition of a 2x teleconverter and hand held. Even the 400mm lens hasn't really enough reach for wildlife photos. A 500mm would be better but of course that's even bulkier and heavier.

The last two lots of photos though were all taken with a Canon SX50 HS. I tend to just take that with me nowadays as it's so much lighter to carry around, just not so good for flight photos.

A pleasant morning for a wander around the park. The weather was pretty decent with sunny periods between light broken cloud with nice light winds to keep the temperature down. I just took along the Canon SX50 HS today.

Starting off at the car park I checked out the ponds along the drive where I saw my first Common Darter of the year, just one and very flighty and lost from view before settling. Lots of damselflies (dozens if not hundreds) on these pools. Whitethroat were in the bushes feeding young and a Sedge Warbler was still singing it's heart out.

I followed the path to the railway beside the hedge not seeing a great deal. The only birds seen were Jackdaw c.20 and Goldfinch x2.

On reaching the lake more Goldfinch, Whitethroat and Great Tit were in the bushes. The lake itself was very quiet with Mallard x4, Moorhen x1, Tufted Duck x1, Coot x2. The occasional Swift and BH Gull x3 were over the water. A Large White and a Small Copper were the only butterflies seen even whilst walking round to the hide.

Blackcap, Goldfinch, Willow Warbler and Whitethroat were in the bushes by the hide. On the scrapes there were lots of damselflies again plus two Four-spotted Chaser.

I followed the path along the North Beck to the cycleway and then walked along it as far as the farm checking the trees and bushes. Only Wood Pigeon in the beck side trees again. The odd Swallow was feeding over the paddock. Yellowhammer x2 were in the hedges with another in the 'Tree Sparrow' tree which held quite a few chattering Tree Sparrows plus two Linnet, several Goldfinch and another Yellowhammer. Whitethroat were in the hedge below.

I retraced my route back along the cycleway and down North Beck and then veered off into the wood to check for butterflies. I came across Peacock, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Large White. Several Speckled Wood were in amongst the trees. Also another Comnon Darter seen here. Whilst stood amongst the wild flower meadows a flock of Curlew c.12 passed overhead circling a couple of times before disappearing SW.

Blackcap, Chiffchaff, Wren and Song Thrush were where the Nightingale had been.

The was nothing else new as I headed back to the car park.

Attachments

• IMG_1351a.jpg
    IMG_1351a.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1370a.jpg
    IMG_1370a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1393a.jpg
    IMG_1393a.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1427a.jpg
    IMG_1427a.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_1466a.jpg
    IMG_1466a.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 66
A lovely sunny morning for a look around the park. There's not been a great deal to see the last few weeks, very few birds or dragonflies though butterflies have been quite numerous.

I mainly visited today to look for dragonflies.

The car park pools weer a wash out with just a few damselflies however the scrapes by the lake made up for it with Brown Hawker x3, Common Hawker x3, Common Darter x1 and an Emperor Dragonfly which was laying eggs on the lake in front of the hide.

Attachments

• IMG_6888a.jpg
    IMG_6888a.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6894a.jpg
    IMG_6894a.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_6946a.jpg
    IMG_6946a.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_4794a.jpg
    IMG_4794a.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 62
A revisit yesterday. A few more birds about and a few more dragonflies.

Nothing unusual bird wise. Several Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler both singing and seen flitting about.

My first sighting of Kingfisher in several months as well as it flew low across the lake from beside the hide. I couldn't see where it landed though I dare say it was under cover as the sun was pretty fierce again today.

The car park pools held Common Hawker, Brown Hawker and several Common Darter.

The scrapes by the hide held 5-6 Brown Hawker, Common Hawker x3, Emperor Dragonfly x2, Four-spotted Chaser and around a dozen Common Darter. I'm pretty certain there was a Southern Hawker as well from blurred photos but it didn't hang around long enough to say for certain.

Attachments

• IMG_7222a.jpg
    IMG_7222a.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_7064a.jpg
    IMG_7064a.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7103a.jpg
    IMG_7103a.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_7270nra.jpg
    IMG_7270nra.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_7105a.jpg
    IMG_7105a.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 81
A brief visit again yesterday due to approaching rain.

The pools beside the car park held Brown Hawker, Common Hawker, Ruddy Darter (first I've seen this year) and Common Darter.

Whitethroat, Wren and Blackcap were all in good voice but only giving the briefest of glimpses.

Following the path through the hedge and turning right I was hoping for Migrant Hawker as it's usually a good spot for them but no joy. I thought I'd found one but when it landed I saw it was a Southern Hawker - another first for the year.

I followed the path to the railway and turned left to the lake. There were several more hawkers on the way but none that gave good enough views to identify.

There were a few more ducks on the the lake though nothing particularly notable - Mallard, Tufted Duck, Coot, Moorhen, Little Grebe. Swallow, Swift and Sand Martin were feeding over the lake.

The corner in front of the hide held an Emperor and two Brown Hawker. The scrapes also held Common Hawker, Brown Hawker and Four-spotted Chaser.

About then the rain started so I headed back to the car.

Lots of butterflies around today mostly Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Speckled Wood, Small Skipper, Peacock, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, Comma and Small White.

Attachments

• IMG_5608a.jpg
    IMG_5608a.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_8224a.jpg
    IMG_8224a.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5657a.jpg
    IMG_5657a.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_8317a.jpg
    IMG_8317a.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_5708a.jpg
    IMG_5708a.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 87
Call there today on my way home from Saltholme.I was starting to feel a little worn out by time I got there so just walked to the pond and back But will go there again possibly next time I am of work .

It's been very quiet here bird wise the last few weeks and I must admit that with the place becoming more and more a dog walkers venue I've tended to visit less and less.

I called in yesterday lunchtime but only got as far as the car park. There were quite a few birds visiting the feeders or in the trees above.

Highlights were a fly over by Jay and a Great Spotted Woodpecker. It was alos nice to see a Yellowhammer which have been few and far between here this year. Other birds on the feeders included Tree Sparrow x.6, Coal Tit x5, Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit, Greenfinch and Robin.

Two Moorhens were under the hedge.

Attachments

• IMG_0913a.jpg
    IMG_0913a.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2580a.jpg
    IMG_2580a.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2702a.jpg
    IMG_2702a.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_2578a.jpg
    IMG_2578a.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2593a.jpg
    IMG_2593a.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 45
A bitterly cold and frosty morning but nice and sunny with it.

Very little seen between the car park and heading over to the lake - a Wren and a few Jackdaws in fact.

At least there were a few more birds on the lake today - Little Grebe x3, Gadwall x4, Tufted Duck x12, Pochard x8 plus a few Moorhen, Coot and Mallard. Lots of gulls around, mostly Black-headed with 40+, Common Gull x4, Herring Gull x3. Other than Magpies and Crows I saw nothing in the bushes around the lake until I reached the hide and there only a pair of Blue Tit.

It was pretty quiet in Faith Wood as well with just the odd Robin, Great Tit, Blue Tit, a few Blackbird and a Jay seen briefly as it flew off away from me. Two Sparrowhawks seen in Faith Wood as well plus Kestrel hunting by the cycleway which nearly got snatched up by a spaniel as it dropped on prey in the grass!

Walking through the west side of the park I came across a large flock of Goldfinch 32+ feeding/flying around together plus a few more Tits. Also a good number of thrushes feeding on hawthorn berries with Redwing x19, Blackbird x12 and a Song Thrush all in two adjacent bushes. I guess those berries most be the ripest at present. Both bushes were well picked though plenty still to go.

The car park tables/hedge held quite a few birds with Yellowhammer x1, Coal Tit c.6, a Bullfinch, Tree Sparrow x6, Wren, Robin, Chaffinch, Blue Tit, Great Tit and Magpie. Moorhen x3 were feeding in the bottom of the hedge.

Also seen today a Tawny Owl, first one I've seen here in several years.

Attachments

• IMG_4725a.jpg
    IMG_4725a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4679a.jpg
    IMG_4679a.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4682a.jpg
    IMG_4682a.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4683a.jpg
    IMG_4683a.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4629a.jpg
    IMG_4629a.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 38
A lovely sunny morning for another look around the park. Unfortunately there wasn't that much to see today. About the only highlight away from the main pond was a single Redwing feeding on hawthorn berries with one Blackbird!

The main pond held few ducks than my last visit though it was nice to see a couple of Goldeneye had arrived even though one had very odd looking eyes. Both eyes had white markings either front and back and very pale irises.

Attachments

• IMG_5753a.jpg
    IMG_5753a.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5653a.jpg
    IMG_5653a.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1624a.jpg
    IMG_1624a.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5655a.jpg
    IMG_5655a.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 60
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back