• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cowpen Bewley Woodland Park, Billingham. UK (4 Viewers)

A brief visit this afternoon.

Usually when I visit on an afternoon no owls are around however at 2:00pm today three were in the trees by the cycleway. One of the adults was sat right over the path staring down at me - at least until a horse rider came along and scared them all off.

Kingsfisher was sat on it's usual perch - but again not long enough for photos.

Sparrowhawk x3 in the usual corner. One juvenile landed in a tree right above me.

No large dragonflies at all in the scarpes by the main pond however what looked to be a Brown Hawker was in the wooded area over the dry scrape.

At least three hawkers over the scrapes by the car park. One possibly a Migrant Hawker and the other two Common Hawker. Several Common Darter and Ruddy Darter as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4720ao.JPG
    IMG_4720ao.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4732ao.JPG
    IMG_4732ao.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4701ao.JPG
    IMG_4701ao.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4696ao.JPG
    IMG_4696ao.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_4699ao.JPG
    IMG_4699ao.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 53
A look around this morning 9:00am-10:30am wasn't that productive.

Very little seen between the car park and Cloff Bridge - just a young Kestrel on a pylon by Faith Wood, a few Magpie and a fly over by a Great Spotted Woodpecker.

Only one Little Owl along the cycleway and Yellowhammer x2, Tree Sparrow x5, Whitethroat x1, Wren x1.

Bullfinch x6, Whitethroat x3, Great Tit x2 50 yds south from Cloff Bridge.

The main pond was pretty quiet still. The bushes round the edges held a few Goldfinch and two Yellowhammer. I could hear a young Sparrowhawk in the area of the dead tree but no sight of one today.

By the Activity Centre the first Migrant Hawker I've seen this year. Loads of Common Darter just about everywhere. Also a new lot of Speckled Wood, Small Copper and a few Small White and a Comma.

In the west corner leaving the park by the A1185 a flock of Long-tailed Tit c.20.

Attachments

• IMG_6678ao.JPG
    IMG_6678ao.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6699ao.JPG
    IMG_6699ao.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_6889ao.JPG
    IMG_6889ao.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6973ao.JPG
    IMG_6973ao.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_7082ao.JPG
    IMG_7082ao.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 63
Not too good regards birds this morning but loads of dragonflies around most areas of the Park with Migrant Hawker 20+, Southern Hawker x2, Common Hawker x3, Common Darter 20+, Ruddy Darter x2, Blue-tailed Damselfly, Common Blue Damselfly.

Car park along cycleway to Cloff Bridge - Chaffinch, Wren, Bullfinch.

No sign of any Little Owl this morning. Yellowhammer x2 in that area.

Little else to see bird wise between there the main pond aprt from Kestrel x2.

Main pond held Heron x2, Moorhen, Coot, Tufted Duck, Little Grebe. Kingfisher x1 on the sticks by the dead tree. Sparrowhawk x1 behind the dead tree. Great Spotted Woodpecker in same area. Curlew x2 passed over heading south.

Butterflies - Speckled Wood, Comma, Small Tortosieshell, Small Skipper, Red Admiral, Peacock, Meadow Brown, Small White, Small Heath, Common Blue, Wall Brown.

Attachments

• IMG_8076ao.JPG
    IMG_8076ao.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8102ao.JPG
    IMG_8102ao.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_8088ao.JPG
    IMG_8088ao.JPG
    171.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8143ao.JPG
    IMG_8143ao.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8187ao.JPG
    IMG_8187ao.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 47
Hi Ian,

Inspired by your post of yesterday, I made my first ever visit here today, just a couple of hours from 10.00 until midday. It was rather overcast and breezy to start with and birds and insects seemed to be keeping a low profile. I hadn't a clue where to go, so I decided to follow the nature trail. Didn't see a great deal, but as I say, I think the weather was probably responsible for that. Later I followed the path through Faith Wood, as far as the beck, before retracing my steps. Is that a good circuit or are there better routes which are more productive? There seemed to be paths stretching off in all directions.

Anyway, the weather brightened for the second half of my visit and I saw a few more butterflies and dragonflies. The former I'm OK with, but I haven't a clue about the latter. I must get myself a decent field guide. In the meantime, I wonder if you (or anyone else reading this) could help me with the ID of the two shown in the attached pics. Many thanks.

Malcolm

Attachments

• dragonfly1.jpg
    dragonfly1.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 60
  • dragonfly2.jpg
    dragonfly2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 68
Malcolm,

My guess would be a female Ruddy Darter, I'm still learning too so apologies if incorrrect. I usually find most of the Dragon/Damsel flies by the scrapes near the Hide at the north end of the lake, there are always lots of common blue damsels on the west (railway) side of the lake too, from here the walk back to the visitor centre takes you over a mound which has a meadow on one side and I have most success with butterflies/moths. On the 'On Location' section of my website I recently posted a Word document map of the Park with gridlines, my plan is to document species population in each grid sector. The scrapes are at H3, lake edge at H4.

Malcolm,

My guess would be a female Ruddy Darter, I'm still learning too so apologies if incorrrect. I usually find most of the Dragon/Damsel flies by the scrapes near the Hide at the north end of the lake, there are always lots of common blue damsels on the west (railway) side of the lake too, from here the walk back to the visitor centre takes you over a mound which has a meadow on one side and I have most success with butterflies/moths. On the 'On Location' section of my website I recently posted a Word document map of the Park with gridlines, my plan is to document species population in each grid sector. The scrapes are at H3, lake edge at H4.

Thanks for that, Ray.:t: Am I to take it from your reply that the two pics I posted are of the same species? If that is the case, I really have a lot to learn. They looked like separate species to me. But, as I said, I haven't a clue when it comes to dragonflies/damselflies. Both of these pics were taken on the boardwalk as you head from the car park towards Faith Wood.

All the best,

Malcolm

I think they're Common Darter - red one is a male and the other a female - if you look closely you can see the narrow yellow stripes along the length of the sides of the legs. On Ruddy Darter the legs are all black, the body has a narrow waist and the insect overall is slightly smaller. I'm still learning too, but beginning to pick up one or two ID features.

I think it was probably the weather that kept things quiet. Bright sunny days are definitely best there.

I generally vary my route quite a lot depending on what I've seen on my previous trip. Bird wise things have gone very quiet the last week or so.

One of my usual routes is from the car park along the board walk over the hump bridge and through Faith Wood to the beck - which sounds like the route you did. Instead of retracing my steps though I either turn left and follow the beck to the cycleway and then turn right for 200yds as that's where the Little Owl have been plus Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammer, Whitethroat etc. The path by the beck and the cycleway is good for butterflies. I then retrace my steps back down the beck to another footbridge and after crossing it turn right to the main pond. There's some scrapes by the disused hide which as Ray says are very good for insects. The Pond can be good for birds but there's not many a present.

You've then a couple of choices for getting back to the car park from the railway lines side of the pond - either following the main cart track or veering off following the railway through the wood towards the A1185 and then turning right follwowing the path alongside the hedge past the visitor centre. That path is good in winter and spring but hit and miss in summer.

I should mention the scrape to the lef tof the path between the car park and boardwalk - looks like a puddle but it's been very good for dragonflies the last month or so as well.

Opposite the car park entrance there's a gate that leads around another area of the park as well in a circular route if you keep taking right turns. That area though I find is generally better for birds in winter.

I think they're Common Darter - red one is a male and the other a female - if you look closely you can see the narrow yellow stripes along the length of the sides of the legs. On Ruddy Darter the legs are all black, the body has a narrow waist and the insect overall is slightly smaller. I'm still learning too, but beginning to pick up one or two ID features.

I think it was probably the weather that kept things quiet. Bright sunny days are definitely best there.

I generally vary my route quite a lot depending on what I've seen on my previous trip. Bird wise things have gone very quiet the last week or so.

One of my usual routes is from the car park along the board walk over the hump bridge and through Faith Wood to the beck - which sounds like the route you did. Instead of retracing my steps though I either turn left and follow the beck to the cycleway and then turn right for 200yds as that's where the Little Owl have been plus Tree Sparrow and Yellowhammer, Whitethroat etc. The path by the beck and the cycleway is good for butterflies. I then retrace my steps back down the beck to another footbridge and after crossing it turn right to the main pond. There's some scrapes by the disused hide which as Ray says are very good for insects. The Pond can be good for birds but there's not many a present.

You've then a couple of choices for getting back to the car park from the railway lines side of the pond - either following the main cart track or veering off following the railway through the wood towards the A1185 and then turning right follwowing the path alongside the hedge past the visitor centre. That path is good in winter and spring but hit and miss in summer.

I should mention the scrape to the lef tof the path between the car park and boardwalk - looks like a puddle but it's been very good for dragonflies the last month or so as well.

Opposite the car park entrance there's a gate that leads around another area of the park as well in a circular route if you keep taking right turns. That area though I find is generally better for birds in winter.

Cheers, Ian.

It was a bit like being in a maze today, not knowing which path to take next. I'll definitely be going back when I get the chance, so thanks for the info – and also for the pointers re the dragonfly ID.

Malcolm

Saturday ~ noon

The cloud completely cleared at about 10am, so boots on and off we went!
Carpark bush had well over 15 long tailed tits (LTTs), which moved off as we arrived, we worked our way up to and behind the visitor centre and found the LTTs again. The place was awash with Dragon/Damsel flies today, a lot of them on the nice warm paths! Surprisingly the scrapes near the old hide were very quiet except for a very nosey willow warbler which was hopping about a nearby tree, too close for a picture (within 4 ft). Back via the boardwalk where it was good to see Ian again, on the scrape towards the car park spotted a hawker (that landed eventually!). Clouds had really come over by then and I hadnt been fed for hours so succumbed to a KFC suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_1529.jpg
    IMG_1529.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1530.jpg
    IMG_1530.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1545.jpg
    IMG_1545.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 57
The cloud completely cleared at about 10am, so boots on and off we went!
Carpark bush had well over 15 long tailed tits (LTTs), which moved off as we arrived, we worked our way up to and behind the visitor centre and found the LTTs again. The place was awash with Dragon/Damsel flies today, a lot of them on the nice warm paths! Surprisingly the scrapes near the old hide were very quiet except for a very nosey willow warbler which was hopping about a nearby tree, too close for a picture (within 4 ft). Back via the boardwalk where it was good to see Ian again, on the scrape towards the car park spotted a hawker (that landed eventually!). Clouds had really come over by then and I hadnt been fed for hours so succumbed to a KFC suggestion.

Good to meet you and Lisa as well Ray :t:

Definitely a dragonfly day again.

After you left I hung around that scrape trying for some flight photos of the Common Hawker but it wouldn't oblige - only managed a distant one. I saw the other large hawker a couple of times - possibly a Brown Hawker as the wings were very bronze coloured all over, but it didn't hang around for long.

Through the gate and along the path beside the hedge towards the Activity Centre were 5-6 Migrant Hawker. Also loads of Ruddy Darter in amongst the Common Darter. Butterflies here - Small Copper, Wall Brown, Common Blue, Meadow Brown, Comma, Small White. Bird wise a male Bullfinch passed overhead. Several Great Tit and Blue Tit, a few Goldfinch and a single Willow Warbler.

The main pond itself held little of note - just a pair of Cormorant. The scrapes by the old hide must have picked up as they held another Common Hawker plus unexpectedly a male Broad-bodied Chaser. Several more Ruddy Darter which I think outnumbered the Common Darter. Several damselflies as well. The wooded paths here also held several Migrant Hawker. Speckled Wood again there as well.

No sign of any Little Owl on the cycleway again. Swallow 20+ still hanging around also a mixed flock of House Sparrow and Tree Sparrow - probably the ones that are usually along by the farm. Yellowhammer x2.

By then the skies were well and truly clouded over so I headed back to the car park not seeing anything new.

Back at the car park a Kestrel was hovering over the field by the Centre and landing on the gable as well. When I moved closer I walked over to the metal dragonfly sculpture and disturbed a Little Owl which must have been sat in the hedge there. It grunted a couple of times before I saw it fly over the road - another sign I think that they're dispersing from the nesting area.

Attachments

• IMG_8309ao.JPG
    IMG_8309ao.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8327ao.JPG
    IMG_8327ao.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8515ao.JPG
    IMG_8515ao.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_8543ao.JPG
    IMG_8543ao.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_8681ao.JPG
    IMG_8681ao.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 53
Lisa spotted the Cormorants too, but we were on the railway side of the lake at the time so too far off for a pic. she also found a strange caterpillar, the best I have managed so far is the White Ermine Moth, any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1566.jpg
    IMG_1566.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 61
Lisa spotted the Cormorants too, but we were on the railway side of the lake at the time so too far off for a pic. she also found a strange caterpillar, the best I have managed so far is the White Ermine Moth, any thoughts?

I'm not very up on moths but I think you could be right from the photos I've looked at.

Overcast and very blustery this morning which was possibly the reason for so few birds seen and those that were about were all in sheltered areas.

No birds at all seen on entering the Park from the west corner from the A1185. Between the road and the cycleway only creatures seen were Speckled Wood x2, Migrant Hawker x1!

The cycleway was quite active 50 yards prior to Cloff Bridge with Chaffinch, Long-tailed Tit, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Linnet a couple of Wrens and a Yellowhammer.

Several Migrant Hawker, Common Darter and Ruddy Darter just the other side of the bridge. Also Common Blue, Speckled Wood, Wall Brown, Small Copper, Large White butterflies.

No sign of any LO. Yellowhammer, Willow Warbler, House Sparrow, Tree Sparrow, Kestrel x2 and quite a large flock of Swallow c.30 and Swift x2.

Back tracking to the bridge and down Claxton Beck nothing of note until reaching the scrapes by the main pond. A single Common Hawker over the scrapes and a few Darter.

Cormorant x3 resting on the stone island and a Sparrowhawk juvie in the bushes by the nature reserve.

Other birds on the pond - Tufted Duck c.20, Mallard c.30, Little Grebe x2, Mute Swan x2, Gadwall x4.

The path along side the hedge by the Activity Centre held loads of birds chirping away but few showing themselves. Only ones actually seen were Bullfinch x2, Blackcap x2. Again quie a few butterflies and hawker in the sheltered area.

Nothing else of note heading back home.

Attachments

• IMG_0010ao.JPG
    IMG_0010ao.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0024ao.JPG
    IMG_0024ao.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0038ao.JPG
    IMG_0038ao.JPG
    147.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0047ao.JPG
    IMG_0047ao.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_9979ao.JPG
    IMG_9979ao.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 49
Overall a pretty good visit this morning despite the overcast skies. Certainly a lot more birds around today both on the woods and on the main pond.

The bushes beside the car park held around half a dozen Whitethroat and a dozen Goldfinch. Also in the reeds a pair of Reed Bunting. Two Common Hawker over the ponds and several Common Darter.

At least a dozen Migrant Hawker and numerous Common Dater and Ruddy Darter along the path by the hedge to the railway lines. On reaching the railway lines a Little Owl barked several tmes from the bushes but I never actually saw it.

The bushes between the main pond and the railway lines held a very mobile flock of smal birds 30+ strong comprising Willow Warbler, Great Tit, Blue Tit and two Garden Warbler. Possibly mobile due to a juvie Sparrowhawk that was hopping bush to bush following them. I was sat on the twin benches when it flew right in front of me to the next bush. Of course as soon as I moved it was off again :C

The pond held a few more birds as well. Tufted Duck have increased with 23 counted, Coot x12, Mallard 20+, Little Grebe x1. It was good to see Shoveller x1 and Gadwall x1 having returned. Only one Cormorant today.

The scrapes by the old hide held Common Hawker x2 and a few Migrant Hawker. Red Admiral, Wall Brown, Meadow Brown and Speckled Wood.

A GSW kept flying into the fir trees by the scrapes.

Also good to meet up with JBee ann several TBC members. Two Spotted Flycatcher had been seen along the Cycleway 50yds short of Cloff Bridge though I didn't get along to see them today.

Attachments

• IMG_0612ao.JPG
    IMG_0612ao.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0671ao.JPG
    IMG_0671ao.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0761ao.JPG
    IMG_0761ao.JPG
    154.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0741ao.JPG
    IMG_0741ao.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0782ao.JPG
    IMG_0782ao.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 45
Also good to meet up with JBee
Sorry you had to walk around the park several times before finding me lurking in the trees ;)
Hawker was a migrant by the way - disappointing.
L-R
Artichoke gall, Silk button gall, Mucilago crustacea (Slime mould), Pestle puffball, Unknown fungi

Attachments

• artichoke_gall-00001.jpg
    artichoke_gall-00001.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 43
  • silk_button_gall-00001.jpg
    silk_button_gall-00001.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 44
  • mucilago_crustacea-00005.jpg
    mucilago_crustacea-00005.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 48
  • pestle_puffball-00002.jpg
    pestle_puffball-00002.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 60
  • fungi-00278.jpg
    fungi-00278.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 53
Paid a quick visit this morning via the Zinc works road, first time I had been down there! It looked like the start of a major bird war!, on the left as I drove in there were 50+ Goldfinch on the electricity wires, and all along the spiked fence on the opposite side were those in picture 1 (Sparrows???), just as I was leaving #2 landed on the fence post (redstart???). Cowpen was busy, darters and hawkers over the bushes on the right en route to the visitor centre, path to lake lots of goldfinch, blue tit, and something a lot smaller (3 off), no sign of the cormorant. scrapes 2 migrant hawkers having a battle. From the bridge over the beck a heron, a lot more butterflies than I am used to. Oh, and last night on our Blackcurrant bush an Angle Shades (I think) moth!

Attachments

• IMG_1879.JPG
    IMG_1879.JPG
    195.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1884.JPG
    IMG_1884.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1922.JPG
    IMG_1922.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1798.JPG
    IMG_1798.JPG
    202.9 KB · Views: 48
Paid a quick visit this morning via the Zinc works road, first time I had been down there! It looked like the start of a major bird war!, on the left as I drove in there were 50+ Goldfinch on the electricity wires, and all along the spiked fence on the opposite side were those in picture 1 (Sparrows???), just as I was leaving #2 landed on the fence post (redstart???). Cowpen was busy, darters and hawkers over the bushes on the right en route to the visitor centre, path to lake lots of goldfinch, blue tit, and something a lot smaller (3 off), no sign of the cormorant. scrapes 2 migrant hawkers having a battle. From the bridge over the beck a heron, a lot more butterflies than I am used to. Oh, and last night on our Blackcurrant bush an Angle Shades (I think) moth!

Great minds think alike! ;)

I must have just missed you this morning. I was at Zinc Works Road late morning. Just a few Goldinch when I was there but not too surprising with a pair of Kestrel sat on the telegraph poles. The first one is a Meadow Pipit - there's just a few left now with most having headed south on migration. The red ones are Stonechat - at least one family of them with three youngsters mostly at the top of the road down to the second layby. Usually there's another pair at the bottom of the road but I haven't seen them since early summer.

As I pulled into the car park at Cowpen Bewley a heavy shower arrived so I just headed on home instead.

oddly enough I thought I saw a kestrel as i pulled out of the north gare access road, it was on the fence around the rubbish tip but i couldnt stop at that point, it was all light brown but i didnt get a really good look.
oh, and another camera question, do you use flash, i notice on many of yours there is a distinct catchlight in the eyes?
and we must have only been minutes apart, as i was approaching billingham it started to rain!

oddly enough I thought I saw a kestrel as i pulled out of the north gare access road, it was on the fence around the rubbish tip but i couldnt stop at that point, it was all light brown but i didnt get a really good look.
oh, and another camera question, do you use flash, i notice on many of yours there is a distinct catchlight in the eyes?
and we must have only been minutes apart, as i was approaching billingham it started to rain!

I do sometimes use flash though rarely. If you can get the sun behind you then a catch light is almost guaranteed. Even a bright sky will give one.

The main problem with using flash on birds is that the feathers act like little mirrors which looks unsightly and artificial. It can be an effective technique but you have to be spot on with exposure in order to get natural looking results.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back