• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crake species in flight, Latvia (1 Viewer)

CerambyX

Latvia
Hi,

Am struggling a bit with this bird - flushed it from wet part of meadow with Carex sedges here in Latvia few days ago.

In the field I put it down as a Corncrake (as in my mind it felt like it's a default 'crake' over here that would be possible to flush in a meadow) but now thinking back - the bird was sitting in very wet spot with few cm of water and the bird after flushing flew straight to edge of reedbed that was near (c10-15m). Today I flushed this bird again and it did the same - was sitting in very wet spot and flew right into reeds. This time it also seemed quite small and now looking at the few pictures I managed to snap at the first day (hadn't looked at them properly before) I'm really doubting if it is really a Corncrake. Maybe one of commoner 'water loving' Crakes - Spotted or Little Crake?

Is it possible say anything from photos of such quality? I have 0 experience with Crakes in flight :smoke:

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Crake_sp_01.JPG
    Crake_sp_01.JPG
    202.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Crake_sp_02.JPG
    Crake_sp_02.JPG
    265 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Looks like a Spotted Crake.

Thanks! Was checking some books etc. and got a bit confused by apparent bold stripes on back (Little Crake style) on both pictures, but I guess it's difficult to judge exact pattern on the back in images of such 'amazing quality' :-O The spotting on the inner wing does look better for Spotted Crake. Thanks again for your input! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back