• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested tit or great tit? (1 Viewer)

Regarding sounds similar to that of Crested Tit, I can't help but describe those two as similar (except Crested Tit vocalises in shorter bursts than Nuthatch): both the audio and its sonogram representation?
(in both recordings the birds were seen)

EDIT:
Crested Tit:
  • harmonics: 1st crest at 3kHz, 2nd crest at 5kHz, 3rd crest at 7kHz, ..., last crest at 15 kHz;
  • ≈ 15 crestes per second;
  • faster at the beginning, slower towards the end;
  • bursts lasting less than 1 second.
Nuthatch:
  • harmonics: 1st crest at 3kHz, 2nd crest at 5kHz, 3rd crest at 7kHz, ..., last crest at 15 kHz;
  • 13 crests per second;
  • steady pace;
  • bursts lasting 2 seconds or more.

EDIT 2: Nuthatches make the latter sound round these parts, but I can't find my recording now.

Last edited:
Sorry, but to my ear(s) these two recordings are 100% identifiable, for example the Nuthatch sounds richer, fluty, melodic-toned and the Crested Tit more metallic. One could do a ‘what bird is this calling?’ quiz with the two recordings and I would wager that any experienced birder would know them.
Edit. I don’t mean to disparage and I do appreciate the work you’ve done there(y)

Sorry, but to my ear(s) these two recordings are 100% identifiable, for example the Nuthatch sounds richer, fluty, melodic-toned and the Crested Tit more metallic. One could do a ‘what bird is this calling?’ quiz with the two recordings and I would wager that any experienced birder would know them.
Edit. I don’t mean to disparage and I do appreciate the work you’ve done there(y)
Also agree again.

I would perhaps recommend to forget the online recordings for a while and go into the field and track down the birds and watch/listen together - I really think you will quickly get to appreciate they are quite different in reality

On this note*, do you or anyone recall there was a poster on here some years back who had a bird song/sounds quiz in their tagline? (With similar options for the bird or not, I can't recall) I think they were a Scandinavian poster. That was quite interesting and useful imo, is it (they) still around I wonder??

*(pun intended)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back