• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Critique away (1 Viewer)

Having exchanged views of FX cameras I was interested to see what you were inviting for critique.
Not a lot wrong with this image other than composition, most of which might be beyond your control anyway.
The subject is well exposed, light needs lifting in the darker parts which can easily be done in post processing.
Good depth of field has the bird looking really sharp with excellent detail. Nice light in the eye.Background bokeh really nice.
I think you might have little choice with the additional twig which is across the background, it's distracting but if you couldn't change the angle at which you took the shot you are stuck with it although some might be tempted to remove it in post processing. Personally I don't bother because I am no good at that and don't want to spend time doctoring photos anyway.
Again, the branch the bird is sat on is the bird's choice not yours, the angle of the branch is not ideal as it cuts right across the bird.
The one thing I would change is the crop, assuming you have cropped the image. I would have made the bird slightly smaller in the frame to make it a more true to life sense of size. That's my own preference though.
Lets see what you can do with birds in flight next !

PS Hope you don't mind me tweaking the light on your shot
cheers dave

Attachments

• 13678588004_2e61d0161c_b.jpg
    13678588004_2e61d0161c_b.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Can't really add anything to Dave's comments, sometimes you are at the mercy of the bird and the location it's in!

Your revised photo looks less distracting by taking out the branch and the composition is better as a result of the extra "space" but somehow you have managed to get another set of the birds claws to appear on the branch at the very top of the photo ............... unless they are from another bird of course!!

Shane

A nice enough shot but the two most obvious problems for me is the angled branch and the bird is way too big in the frame for a pleasing image IMHO. There is also more detail to be got and the levels need correcting. Attached is something like I would prefer although it is only a very quick and cheerful edit (a few minutes) to show the compo and the branch removed - still maybe too big in the frame for a lot of folks though. I am sure you do do a lot more/better with it with the original image file but gives you an idea of my take on it.
P.S. had to remove the sig to add some canvass.
EDIT: forgot to mention that I like the head angle and pose of the bird very much.

Attachments

• 13678588004_2e61d0161c_b v3.jpg
    13678588004_2e61d0161c_b v3.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Thanks Roy. I think you did a very good job with it. I will keep in mind the cropping. I did it to show how sharp the image was. A lot of pixel peeper like the very close approach shot. I am with you thought. It gives more breathing that way.

Edit. here's the redone of the initial picture. I have to admit I am terrible at post processing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/13706155085/

In my opinion, this is by far the best crop for the image. No offence to Roy, as mentioned, each has their own opinion, but his wider crop leaves far too much empty, wasted space on the left which adds nothing to the image.

Fantastic shot in the first place, I wouldn't even be worried about cloning the branch out but again it's just my opinion!

In my opinion, this is by far the best crop for the image. No offence to Roy, as mentioned, each has their own opinion, but his wider crop leaves far too much empty, wasted space on the left which adds nothing to the image.

Fantastic shot in the first place, I wouldn't even be worried about cloning the branch out but again it's just my opinion!
Its great that we all have differing opinions Joe, it would be mega boring if we all thought the same and all shot with the same kit :t:
I can appreciate a lot of folk liking these big crops - I was the same for the first two or three years I started snapping birds and even up to when I stopped bird photography (about a year ago) I would occasionally have a large in the frame moment and crop far too tightly. There are several reason why I would personally bin a shot like this without giving it a second thought but that is not for this thread or time!

Thanks Dave. Fair critique here. The branch was bothering me too. I'll see if I can crop wider and just get rid of it.

You ask me about BIF, So follow the link : https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/13573762505/

Its not my specialty.

Edit. here's the redone of the initial picture. I have to admit I am terrible at post processing.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fogboundturtle/13706155085/

Did you forget to remove the claws of a bird sat higher up the branch... or did you leave it in as a talking point................;) 'cos if you did it's worked...:-O
A good credible pic though, considering the dull lighting and despite Roy's churlish comment .... I, and plenty of others would like it in their collection.......:t:
Cheers Joe

duplicated, again

I edited my post - it then came up twice - so I deleted the second, inserting "duplicate" and now both have gone - I thought that it must be a error on my part but presumably, from your comment, the same happened to you, Les - I send a PM to admin

Last edited:
Did you forget to remove the claws of a bird sat higher up the branch... or did you leave it in as a talking point................;) 'cos if you did it's worked...:-O
A good credible pic though, considering the dull lighting and despite Roy's churlish comment .... I, and plenty of others would like it in their collection.......:t:
Cheers Joe

If I wasn't open to critique, I wasn't going to post it in the first place. It certainly won't won award but I got some good feedback. Its all good.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back