• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norway advice (1 Viewer)

jdbirdman

John Dempsey (jdbirdman)
I am trying to get some reliable info regarding the northern light! I am travelling independently with my wife and need some info on our chances to see the northern lights. I know the lights are not guaranteed but would anyone know how I would better my chances!
For instance are there ships doing evening cruises at quayside side ? if so what are my chances of boarding one each evening?
I here Thomson

My top three tips for Northern Lights are:
1) Keep an eye on the weather report. An overcast sky means no auroras will be visible.
2) Keep an eye on the solar activity reports. Both real time data and forecasts are available.There are many websites including Northern Lights in Norway forecast and Aurora forecast for Norway valid for 02/17/2024, 05:57pm
3) Based on the above, choose your location. In general, the more rural the less light pollution and the more north the easier it is to see auroras even when solar activity is low, but some places are more prone to cloudiness than others .The Norwegian state tourist agency has some general info https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/ and no, you don't need to be on a boat.

My top three tips for Northern Lights are:
1) Keep an eye on the weather report. An overcast sky means no auroras will be visible.
2) Keep an eye on the solar activity reports. Both real time data and forecasts are available.There are many websites including Northern Lights in Norway forecast and Aurora forecast for Norway valid for 02/17/2024, 05:57pm
3) Based on the above, choose your location. In general, the more rural the less light pollution and the more north the easier it is to see auroras even when solar activity is low, but some places are more prone to cloudiness than others .The Norwegian state tourist agency has some general info https://www.visitnorway.com/things-to-do/nature-attractions/northern-lights/ and no, you don't need to be on a boat.
Thank you Atkinson that advice was very helpful!

John

I spent two years in Vadsoe, a small town (south of Russia!) in North Eastern Norway, and have revisited quite a few times in winter. Depending on weather, of course, but at this time of year it shouldn't be too bad, it is far enough north (70-ish degrees) to get consistent aurora's in multicolour, but not far enough to give you the mono-colour greenish tinge you get 10 degrees further north. Which is readily explainable by the earth's magnetic fields. And you will not find the light-pollution too annoying.
Edit: I would not recommend Vardoe, harsher weather.

The tsysnavalok island on the Archangelsk coast buts out just past parts of Vadsø northwards. Small parts, but even so 😂
But yes, in order to drive there (Russia) you need to go northwest then southeast. So in general, you are north of inhabited areas. But the Varanger fiord is pointed SE. And directly south (a long way) you find...
Cairo/Alexandria
😄

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back