• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Croatian gull identification ?? (1 Viewer)

Mikeyboyscouse

United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm currently visiting the Dalmatian coast and visited Brac Island and Hvar. Saw a number of gulls similar to Lesser Black Backed but with a distinctive light grey patch surrounding the eye. Any ideas for identification?
Thanks

Hello Mikey,
welcome to birdforum!

Can you take pictures and post it here?

Adult Yellow Legged Gull are similar to LBBG (but have lighter back) and should be common in Croatia.

In fresh non-breeding plumage, they can show some kind of a darkish mask behind the eye, consisting of streaks (a feature against Herring Gull).

Please compare: Gull Research Organisation

Hi Mikeyboy and a warm welcome from me too.

I've moved your post to the ID forum, as they're better placed to be able to help you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back