• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gull ID - Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire (1 Viewer)

BenjiS

Ginga Ninja
England
I'm afraid I didn't get a picture but just want to check I was correct with my ID with it being Yellow Legged Gull
I was standing about 10-15m away but the main ID features I picked up were:

Yellow legs
Similar size to Crows foraging nearby
Light grey back

Sorry for not having a picture but I didn't have a camera on me, and YLG would be a lifer for me!

Probably more likely a Lesser Black-back, but with no photo, no one can give a definitive ID.
The reason I didn't think it was a lesser black-backed was due to the light grey wings/back.
Don’t think it is provable. What shade of yellow were the legs? Any other gulls nearby as comparison?
Clearly yellow (I could quite easily see that they were yellow from 10-15meters away) There were no gulls nearby, but as I said, similar size to crows nearby - definitely looked like a big gull (easily bigger than a Black-Headed gull IMO

Sorry - I realised it would be difficult, thanks all for taking the time to try and help!

As others have said, just not enough in your description to get anywhere near an ID, I'm afraid. Specifically...
light grey wings/back
Impossible to use this without some reference or comparison.
Clearly yellow (I could quite easily see that they were yellow from 10-15meters
Unfortunately, yellow-legged gull isn't the only yellow-legged gull - if you see what I mean. Your field guide will show this.
similar size to crows nearby - definitely looked like a big gull
Size isn't useful. Lesser black-backed gull is a big gull.

Cheers. I like the idea of writing down a description of a gull's plumage instead of photographing it--this way I could learn the feather tracts and niceties of gull ID much faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back