• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cromford Canal, Derbyshire (1 Viewer)

Clive A

Following a recent(9 th Jan) failed trip to my local patch, Carsington Water,when I was fogged off, I decided to try a walk at lower level where visibility was better. I chose my village of Cromford, and decided to try the area around the church, which is well known by birders as a prime area for Hawfinch. Peering through the gloom however, does not produce one on this occassion.Feeling somewhat downcast I decide to move on to an area of the canal further down, namely the area between the sewage works on the Lea road, and Gregory tunnel.
My mood begins to lift as I get out of the car as an unseen Great Tit competes with a similarly invisible Coal Tit for singing rights..Teacher, Teacher,Teacher....Weecho,Weecho,Weecho.In a nearby Alder tree a small group of Siskins hang silently, probing for seeds, and from the bridge over the river Derwent the slow almost warbler like notes of a Dipper can be heard. I stop a while, as the Dipper perches on a large rock, before plunging into the fast flowing water almost disappearing below the rapids, before returning to its perch.
On the canal a group of 5 Little Grebes are immediately visible,along with a few Moorhens. I make a mental note to count the numbers of both of these birds, which are common along the canal. The usual Blue/Great and Coal tits are seen in the trees around High Peak Junction (the area where the canal meets up with the former High Peak Railway) also a group of about 20 Long tailed tits make their presence known, si,si,si..trr,trr,trr.
Onwards past the Leawood Pumping Station, where water was pumped into the canal from the Derwent,and over the aquaduct which carries the canal over the river.Nuthatch and Great spotted Woodpecker are added to the list in this area, along with Dunnock, Wren and Robin. The canal itself also has good numbers of Mallards,the males looking splendid with their metallic green heads- maybe I should have counted these,as they are more numerous than the Little Grebes and Moorhens (8 of each at this point).
As I reach Gregory tunnel (a 42 yards long plunge into darkness, where the makers of the canal cut through an outcrop) the harsh tones of a Jay can be heard, and through the other side a Green Woodpecker is heard on the fields over the canal. Little Grebes 13, Moorhens 13 a high scoring draw, and as I look on the fields behind me 13 Wood Pigeons are feeding on some unknown morsels. The number 13 proves unlucky as I promptly knock my new flask off a bench, where it shatters on a discarded fence post!
I don't feel unlucky though as I retrace my steps, I decide I must come down here more often as the sense of history and the bird life has lifted my mood. The birds seen are not mega rarities,but it has been an enjoyable day, one I hope to repeat at least monthly to show the changing seasons. I recount the Grebes and Moorhens on the way back, with a score of 15-14 to Little Grebes, maybe my luck has changed? Fifty Redwing are in the trees around the car park and a Grey Heron is on the fields near the river.
I decide to try for a Hawfinch again as I drive towards the Church, and immediately pick one in flight, and get brief views of it perched, before it once more disappears.
More in February, hopefully.

I always get Little Grebe on Cromford canal as well. Really great views of them when they come close.

Yes Colonel, one of my favourite birds, and as you say really close views are guaranteed on the canal. Looking forward to seeing the young ones in a few months.

Went to cromford today to do a walk on the canal decieded to ceck for hawfinches first checked over the bridge first nothing ,then by the church picked1 up on a tree top witch soon flew off then someone else picked up some in a tree over the river a trip back over the bridge revieled 5 in the top of a tree getting blown about managed a few snaps did not come out too wel due to distance wind a lack of light forgot about the walk when we were told of some waxwings showing well near tibself ,best shot i could manage on the day

Attachments

• hawfinch.jpg
    hawfinch.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 276
Went to cromford today to do a walk on the canal decieded to ceck for hawfinches first checked over the bridge first nothing ,then by the church picked1 up on a tree top witch soon flew off then someone else picked up some in a tree over the river a trip back over the bridge revieled 5 in the top of a tree getting blown about managed a few snaps did not come out too wel due to distance wind a lack of light forgot about the walk when we were told of some waxwings showing well near tibself ,best shot i could manage on the day

The Hawfinches haven't really performed too well this year, though 5 matches my best count to date. They have been fairly reliable, but usually distant.Did you get the Waxies?There has been a flock of 29 in Cromford recently, a neighbour reported seeing them yesterday.

Yes 22 in a tree by the school dropping down to feed on berries again poor light

Attachments

• waxwing.jpg
    waxwing.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 207
Back down on the canal today (12th Feb), my route is different however as the canal towpath is closed south of the aquaduct.
I start at Cromford Meadows where a lady birder informs me that 8 Hawfinch have been feeding on the ground below the large Beech in the car park,but have flown after being disturbed by a dog walker. I pick 2 in the trees by the Cricket Club and they soon become 4, which eventually fly off across the river.
On the meadows themselves Black headed gulls,Jackdaws and Redwing search for food. A couple of Siskins fly over calling their nasal "peu, peu" and a Blue Tit is in the trees near the cattle grid.A Buzzard soars over the snow covered fields across the railway line.
On the canal itself c70 Mallards and a single Tufted Duck are around the wharf area, 8 Moorhens are also here.Parts of the canal are still frozen, following the bitterly cold conditions of the last week or so,and the towpath is treachorous.As I carefully pick my way along,a Greefinch offers it's "dreez" call, Chaffinch and Robins sing,and a Great spotted Woodpecker calls.
As I approach the first bridge 6 Wood Pigeons sit motionless in a nearby tree, as if too cold to move, and a Magpie flies in to join them .Little Grebes begin to show themselves in this area, already paired up, these birds are now coming into breeding plumage, with their chestnut coloured face and throats and yellow gape spots . A Nuthatch calls, though remains unseen, and a Great Tit sings out from a tree top.
Further along I catch a glimpse of something in the roots of Alder trees, at the waters edge,I watch as a Wren emerges, I wonder how these tiny birds manage in such harsh conditions,but it looks in fine condition.A Treecreeper makes its way up the trunk of one of the Alders, then flies down to the base of the next tree and starts its journey again. A Mistle Thrush sings mournfully, and a pair of Little Grebes make their high pitched laughing calls.
On past High Peak junction I disturb 2 Moorhens from the towpath, and a comedy moment follows as they land on the frozen surface skidding into the edge of the bank.Over the aquaduct, I take the Leawood arm at the side of the now derelict cottage.By a house at the end of this off shoot, a pair of Nuthatch a singing Dunnock and an alarm calling Blackbird are added to the list, and further on a pair of Dippers call from a fast flowing stream which runs into the Derwent.
Back on the canal by the sewage works I check the sewage beds and notice many Pied Wagtails,probably 30+, and surprisingly a couple of Meadow Pipits.I watch the wagtails riding on the revolving arms of the sewage treatment machinery and they are joined by a single Grey Wagtail.Nearby 2 Bullfinches give out their feeble whistle.
On the return journey I stop to watch a Moorhen,trying to swallow a fish (Bullhead)it has caught. It tries several times to swallow it tail first, but is unable to get the bulbous head down its throat, and eventually moves out of sight with its prey.
Back down by the meadows a Sparrowhawk puts in an appearance, gliding over the Rugby pitches before landing in a tree, and Goldfinches call out anxiously whilst the killer moves over.
Moorhens outnumber Little Grebes today by 25 to 20.

Just a quick visit this morning,with the other half and the dog.
Of note:
8 Hawfinch in trees near the cattle grid at the entrance to the meadows,2 Grey Heron, c50 Wood Pigeon and a GS Woodpecker drumming.

Nice one, Clive. Regarding your previous post about Moorhen eating a fish. I done a bit searching and although they mainly eat water plants, seeds, fruit, grasses, insects, snails and worms. They will also eat other birds' eggs and have been observed eating fish. You been to the res at all?

Hi Dave,yeah read that about Moorhens myself,first time I've ever seeen it though.Not been to the res, might try and get up this afto.

Couple of brief visits to the Cromford meadows area this weekend;
2 pairs of Goosander on the river yesterday and 7 Hawfinch this morning, incuding the first time I have ever seen them on the ground.

Couple of brief visits to the Cromford meadows area this weekend;
2 pairs of Goosander on the river yesterday and 7 Hawfinch this morning, incuding the first time I have ever seen them on the ground.

Bird Guides also mentions 7 Hawfinch by the castle entrance. Did you send that one in?

No Dave, must have been another birder.
Might leave the March walk a week or two, and see if I can pick up a few warblers.

I didn't think you had as you mentioned the one feeding on the floor. Yes it shouldn't be long now before there's a few Warblers down there.

Sunday 22nd March,I opt for an early start (06:30) to beat the weekend crowds.The car thermometer reads 4C, despite the sunny skies a cold wind means winter has not totally lost it's grip.
I start again at Cromford meadows and as I get out of the car bird song fills the air,Goldfinch,Greenfinch,Mistle Thrush and a Chiffchaff can all be heard.The now familiar tick of a Hawfinch alerts me to a flyover bird and looking around I can see Wood Pigeons and Jackdaws, also a pair of Mallards are sunning themselves near the river.
As I start to walk a couple of Siskins fly overhead and a Great Spotted Woodpecker is drumming somewhere in the surrounding trees.Around the wharf area Great Tit,Robin,Song Thrush and Chaffinch are in song and a lone Dunnock pecks around on the towpath.The canal here is relatively quiet with only 11 Mallards and a couple of Moorhens.The cold wind forces me to put on my hat and I am glad I decided to wear my coat,though it is a far cry from the bitter conditions af February.Opposite the rugby pitches a Wren sings and Crows and a Pheasant can also be heard.The chack,chack calls of a group of 9 Fieldfares rings out as they fly over in a fittingly Northerly direction and a 2nd Chiffchaff sings nearby as if to emphasize the changing face of the bird life.
Beyond the first bridge a pair of Little Grebes are busy constructing a nest, a small weed lined platform on the water, though I fear they are too close to the near bank.By the garden centre a pair of Jays fly over the canal.
Near to High Peak Junction a small bird table attracts a Coal Tit and a bright male Bullfinch is in the trees above.Towards Leawood pump a Little Grebe nest already contains 2 small eggs, but again their choice of nest site looks perilous.A 3rd Chiffchaff sings out its monotonous song. By the pump house itself a pair of Blue Tits ignore a nest box and instead plump for a hole in the building for their breeding attempts, it will be interesting to see how they get on.By the aquaduct, as canal crosses river, a Treecreeper flies over to the other side and a couple of Long tailed Tits and a Goldcrest search for tiny morsels in the trees.Scanning the adjacent woods produces a Buzzard, soaring on broad wings, and closer inspection of a blob in the trees yields a beautiful male Sparrowhawk, still, but alert, only his head and eyes move as he awaits his first meal of the day.
The towpath is still closed south of this point, however a jogger and then a dog walker squeeze past the barrier and so I am tempted to investigate myself. The canal has been drained in part to facilitate the repairs to the railway bridge, and a good deal of tree clearing has also taken place. A Grey Heron flies over and 2 more Chiffchaffs sing as I decide to turn back to the rightful side of the barrier.Hopefully this section of the canal will be open soon as it contains some of the more interesting species of migrants later in the year.
I take the Leawood, or Nightingale, arm but it produces little other than another Chiffchaff and a couple of Moorhens.As I make my way down towards the road a Dipper is seen in the stream that runs into the river Derwent and a pair of Bullfinches are in a garden nearby.Back on the canal by the sewage works I scan the beds for wagtails, no Pieds are seen but a pair of Grey fly over.Heading back to my start point, a large rock in the river at the back of the marble works, holds a striking male Goosander but there is no sign of his mate.Coming towards the meadows again I detour and cross the railway bringing me back alongside the river, here 2 more Treecreepers and a singing Dipper are in the area.Back on the meadows I walk up river towards the car,suddenly a flash of blue and orange low over the water betrays the presence of a Kingfisher and another pair of Dippers speed under the bridge.A Blackbird is feeding on Ivy berries near the car and a further 4 Hawfinches are present in the trees, overhead a cloud of 200 Jackdaws swirl against the now blue and white sky.

Moorhens 16,Little Grebes 13 and 8 Chiffchaffs.

Last edited:
Good stuff mate, good species count there. Off for a walk myself after dinner. Will let you know if I see anything of note.

Good stuff mate, good species count there. Off for a walk myself after dinner. Will let you know if I see anything of note.

Cheers Dave,hope you have a good walk.Very surprised not to get any Pied Wag or Nuthatch today also must be about time for some Blackcaps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back