• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cruising the Amazon and West Indies from London and back! (3 Viewers)

I have not read the entire story yet, but here are a couple of things:
St. Lucia has about 4 endemic species which you could have encountered, and additionally several species that it does not share with the more southerly neighbors (though they are shared with those to the north).

A roadside hawk would have been a major rarity for Grenada. I think you had a Broad winged Hawk instead.

Bullfinches in Barbados are a different species to the ones in the rest of the Lesser Antilles.

Niels

Hope your next cruise will be more enjoyable than the last couple of days of this one

The "Roadside Hawk", was seen in St Vincent, we barely set foot on Grenada.It does appear as if I wrongly Id'd it. I can add a Broad Winged Hawk to my list now.
We were happy to have caught up with the St Vincent Parrot let alone the other 3 endemic species. To be honest, as someone else mentioned, the Vermont Nature Trail is hard going as far as bird watching goes but an interesting walk none the less.When you only have one day to spend and also a non birding partner you have to consider how to best spend the day and she certainly wasn't up for birding 24/7 !
Thanks for pointing out the Barbados Bullfinch has been separated from the Lesser Antillean, it is the only endemic species for Barbados but it's still dull. Give me a British one every time !
Yes, our next cruise will be something quite different, no doubt I'll post a report in due course, but hopefully we will steer clear of trouble next time around.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I will amend my records accordingly.
cheers Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back