• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew or Whimbrel? Norfolk (1 Viewer)

UKBirder23

Hello all, last week I was on the Norfolk Broads, and got some photos of what are either curlews or whimbrels on Breydon Marshes. There are Oystercatchers in some photos to give you an idea of size. Also, a few days later on Breydon Water, I saw another flock, but two of them were a bit smaller (no photos of them, sadly). If the birds in the attached photos are Curlews, could the smaller ones have been Whimbrels, or just juvenile Curlews? Also, two photos of what I think is a juv Starling? Thank you.

Attachments

• DSC_0348.JPG
    DSC_0348.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0356.JPG
    DSC_0356.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0357.JPG
    DSC_0357.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • DSC_0412.JPG
    DSC_0412.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • DSC_0413.JPG
    DSC_0413.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
At first, I wanted to agree with a juvenile Starling, but something seemed wrong. And then I had a hard time to exclude a Black Redstart, but

• the white chin is real
  • a good shape of short-tailed body and long, spiky bill, not a fluffed up Black Redstart
  • legs are to short (whishfull thinking) and to stout for a Black Redstart
  • orange rump must be an artefact, colour is also visible in the wing, and not the tail
So I agree with Starling

Did you notice the Egyptian Goose in your picture, I assume a quite scarce bird in the UK?
Thanks for IDing the Starling, Alexander. Actually though, Egyptian Geese are pretty common in certain parts of the UK - where I live on the Thames River, we have a lot of them, including several nesting pairs; and apparently there is a large population in Norfolk.

Curlews have some size diffentials. I recall travelling to Suffolk to see what transpired to be a small Eurasion Curlew rather than the much hoped for rarer species.

Mmmm, Whimbrels generally will be further North at this time of year, their main Autumn passage not for a few weeks yey . Not sure but these could be failed breeders.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back