• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curlew /whimbrel ? Derbyshire uk (1 Viewer)

birdleg

Curlew or whimbrel? I think it's a whimbrel. It wasn't making any sounds at the time so unable to figure which one.
Apologies for photo quality.

Attachments

• 20240408_130530.jpg
    20240408_130530.jpg
    430.2 KB · Views: 148
Hello,

do you have more pictures? They can well help to get a (more) true impression of the bird and its features.
No offense you know, but the "ornamental Hopooe" came into my mind again, that showed how mobile phone pictures can be heavily distored or even changed (please note the strange, not true to life feeling of a Blacktailed Godwit wing pattern, which wasnt there in the real bird)

Yes I agree with Butty, but:
When you identified the bird as a Whimbrel in the field (?), then it might well be one.And if this is true, I think, broad (impression) of the bill (or is it slightly open?), adding to the "Gonzo-shape" impression might slightly be better for a Whimbrel.

Yes, the appearant head pattern, Butty is absolutly right here imo, but I think more pictures are needed to give a confident comment (?)

Agree with Alex, that this photo could almost make this a hoopoe….stretched out by the camera.
Presumably this is up in the peaks?

Thanks for the replies .....definitely not a hoopoe as definitely hasn't got the orange head decor .......unfortunately I don't have any more pics as only able to take two pics (other pic blurry ) as took it in a hurry from a moving car and the bird flew off quickly after .....yes it is in the Peak district .

+1 for curlew.
Apart from the massively greater probability of curlew in a field in the Peak District, there is one feature that is apparent in the photo which clinches it for me...the even curvature of the bill along its length, compared to the straighter base / more strongly curved tip of whimbrel (see example below). As @Butty said above, it's also a decent length too.

Attachments

• Whimbrel PDR 1.jpg
    Whimbrel PDR 1.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 16

Users who are viewing this thread

Back