• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whimbrel or Curlew ID Scotland. (1 Viewer)

Baldoon57

Scotland
I was thinking this bird might be a whimbrel as when it was calling it sounded different from a Curlew, any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Resize_20230227_205154_4788.jpg
    Resize_20230227_205154_4788.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 184
Looks like a Whimbrel's bill to me - shorter than I'd expect for curlew and pretty straight for much of its length until it "bends" towards the end, rather than evenly curved for the whole length... not so much on face pattern though!? Can a Curlew's bill look like this?

The head has a slightly, but not especially darker stripe with a wee bit of white? above, which could be the lighter central crown stripe. This is more Whimrel, but does occur in some Curlew. It could be artefact. Fa kens? The underside looks whitish only behind the legs, which suggests Curlew to me. The eye stripe is not that distinct which suggests Curlew too. Do you have a flight shot? The protruding feet past the tail would indicate Curlew and for me is the easiest way of distinguishing one from the other.

Bill looks fine for Curlew to me - looks fairly evenly curved and fading from black to pink at the head. Colour tone is always difficult to assess from a photograph, but if the photo is accurate the warmer tone suggests Curlew. Head stripes are present, but not that strong - neither clearly one or the other. Location and time makes a difference, in general Whimbrel is a summer visitor relatively uncommon in winter, but there is breeding population around the Northern Isles.

Location is Scotland, from the present tense way the OP is written you could assume it is recent ...

Whimbrel is an uncommon wintering bird in the UK (and Ireland) - predominantly in the south/south west on rocky shores. Not sure how infrequently they can occur as far north as Scotland...

Agree with Curlew, mind. Also on jizz (Whimbrel dainter, also generally darker), bulkier body and legs. (Don't the head stripes on this bird indicate an immature bird?? and perhaps a male on bill length??)

Location is Scotland, from the present tense way the OP is written you could assume it is recent ...

Whimbrel is an uncommon wintering bird in the UK (and Ireland) - predominantly in the south/south west on rocky shores. Not sure how infrequently they can occur as far north as Scotland...

Agree with Curlew, mind. Also on jizz (Whimbrel dainter, also generally darker), bulkier body and legs. (Don't the head stripes on this bird indicate an immature bird?? and perhaps a male on bill length??)

If it's the very northern tip of Scotland, Whimbrel are resident in small numbers (a few hundred pairs), but yes for the rest of Scotland it's an unlikely (although not impossible) winter visitor.

Bill length does suggest male to me. I'm not sure on whether head stripes always indicate juvenile or not.

If it's the very northern tip of Scotland, Whimbrel are resident in small numbers (a few hundred pairs), but yes for the rest of Scotland it's an unlikely (although not impossible) winter visitor.

Bill length does suggest male to me. I'm not sure on whether head stripes always indicate juvenile or not.
(I think you may find that 'resident' in terms of Scottish birds means summer resident (as opposed to eg passage migrant, as in much of the rest of the UK), not year-round resident)

?? ;-)

Whimbrel (other than a few birds not travelling as far, as mentioned), is essentially a sub-saharan migrant.

Last edited:
(I think you may find that 'resident' in terms of Scottish birds means summer resident (as opposed to eg passage migrant, as in much of the rest of the UK), not year-round resident)

?? ;-)

Whimbrel (other than a few birds not travelling as far, as mentioned), is essentially a sub-saharan migrant.

I thought there were small number of the resident population that had started to overwinter? I maybe wrong, they're rare overwinterers down south.

Anyway - I'm still reasonably confident the photo is of a Curlew :)

That was the drift of my post. It is far less likely to be Whimbrel if it was taken recently. Curlew for me in any case.

RB

Just thought I would say that Whimbrel do sometimes overwinter in this part of Scotland, it's in the southwest near Garlieston, also the light was very poor so had to brighten up the picture a bit, I also took a short video which I've tried to upload but say's it's to big for the server, IL try again to upload it tomorrow.

This is the best I could do using vlc player, the more I look at it the more I think it's a curlew

Attachments

• vlc-record-2023-03-01-12h36m56s-WHIMBREL.mp4-.mp4
    8 MB
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back