• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Current conditions : Krung Ching, Khao Sok, Klong Naka? (1 Viewer)

nicolas1970i

Hello,

I'm currently on a trip in Thailand, with the emphasis mainly on diving, but I'd like to squeeze in some birding when possible.

I will be staying on Ko Phi Phi, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao (I fly into and out of Phuket), and based on some research I thought I could possibly bird in Krung Ching, Khao Sok and Klong Naka Wildlife Sanctuary.

I tried to contact Ike from Phuketbirdwatching.com, who helped me a lot in planning my previous trip, but couldn't get in touch with him.

Krung Ching : I tried to visit in february 2012 but I was told at the park HQ in Nakhon Si Thammarat that the trail was impassable due to flooding, so I gave up. Does anybody know what the current conditions are?
I'm using public transport and, just like last time, I'd like to get there by renting a scooter in Nakhon. I don't have any camping or cooking equipment though, so I need to find accommodation near the park. Ike mentions the Krung Ching Hill and Camping Resort, but I couldn't find it online, does anyone have info on it (prices, location, facilities.... )? Should I book ahead? There is also mention of a Krung Ching Garden Homestay...

Khao Sok : I stopped there one night in 2012, and from what I remember you couldn't hit the trails (for those staing outside the park) before 8am, which is quite late for birding. Is it still the case, or did I misunderstand then? I stayed a few days in Sri Phan Nga last time and found birding very difficult, I was frustrated by the height of the tress - I do not have a scope - how would Khao Sok compare?

The islands : I would also like to try and bird on Ko Phi Phi, Ko Phangan and Ko Tao, does anyone have an opinion or advice?

On this trip I'd like to stop at locations where I can find a reasonable amount of birds - not necessarily rarities - it's meant to be a break from diving. That's why, after first considering Khao Nor Chuchi, and reading some reports, I dropped it off the list. I would also try and avoid jumping through logistical hoops.

I will probably have 5-6 nights to spend in those 3 locations : is it worth (and possible) visiting all three, or should I drop some and concentrate on the rest? The most tempting is Krung Ching, but I still have doubts regarding practicalities. I'll have to make a quick decision - whithin the next couple of days - to see if if I extend or shorten my stay on the islands.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick

EDIT : every time I mentioned Nakhon Si Thammarat, I meant Surat Thani

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back