• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cypress Creek Swallow Tail Kite? (1 Viewer)

Kukiniloa

United States
Sorry, this pic is the best I could do. No binocs either, but the markings are distinctive, and the white breast rules out some other familiar birds. No, I didn't see it fly because I didn't want to disturb it.

336184724_876193136822649_4926420869116635381_n.jpg

the breast is completely white
It looks completely white, but that's very different from being completely white. In a photo of this low quality (no offence) I would be unsurprised if an osprey's (variable and sometimes minimal) chest-band disappeared.
Could you give the location of the location, and the date, please? Thanks.

Difficult picture - wouldn't be that surprised if it was a swallow-tailed kite rather than osprey but I don't think its possible to be confident from that photo.

There's something dark in the photo roughly where the head should be, which seems to suggest the head markings of an osprey... but it might be a shadow?

North American ospreys have fainter neck-bands than, say Australian ones; a completely white breast is not that unusual. Also, there's a Caribbean race of osprey with especially white heads (very faint dark markings on the head). Caribbean osprey are non-migratory, but the migratory subspecies Caroliniensis can and does interbreed with them as its breeding range has been expanding southward.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back