• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cyprus gen (1 Viewer)

frasermc

I am going to Cyprus on 22nd April for a long weekend birding hoping to see the endemics. I have Gosneys book on southern cyprus but was wondering if anyone has any current good sites for the Scops Owl, Warbler and Wheatear near Paphos. We are staying near the airport. Any tips or suggested sites would be welcome tks Fraser

I am going to Cyprus on 22nd April for a long weekend birding hoping to see the endemics. I have Gosneys book on southern cyprus but was wondering if anyone has any current good sites for the Scops Owl, Warbler and Wheatear near Paphos. We are staying near the airport. Any tips or suggested sites would be welcome tks Fraser
Wheatear is common now, had one on a telephone line in Pissouri bay the other day. Warbler, haven't seen it myself yet depsite it supposedly being here in Pissouri, Scops willl need more work, near one of the dams but Shane (Apus) will tell you more.

The wheatear is quite widespread now, I saw one in Paphos archeological site today, a couple below the various reservoir dams in recent days, several on a drive in the hillcountry north of Paphos. The warbler is also arriving these days, had a number of them in the south-east some days ago and regular reports on coastal areas around Paphos in recent days, including in the archeological site, though I didn't see there today. For the owl, I can't help you, haven't tried on this trip yet, I have previously seen them in the north-west, but I guess the sites in Gosney will be as good as anywhere

I will be visiting from 28th April to 1st May. My two potential ticks are Cyprus Warbler and Cyprus Scops Owl as well as covering off any subspecies. Am I right that those are Coal Tit, Crossbill, Jay and Short-toed Treecreeper albeit I see little prospect of any armchair ticks on those?

All the best

Paul

Cyprus Scops Owl & Cyprus Wheatear can be found around Mavrokolympus Dam area, the latter any time during the day and the former at dusk, best to scan the telephone lines! Cyprus Warbler can be found in many places but there range in the west seems to be contracting somewhat.

The other species will need a trip up to Troodos I'm afraid!

To add to this thread our experiences.

Cyprus Warbler is significantly outnumbered by Sardinian Warbler but we have seen them well at Mavrokolympus Dam in the couple of hundred yards along from the dam around the edge of the reservoir favouring the areas with yellow gorse-like bushes and in similar habitat at Asprokremmos Dam underneath the dam on the hillside opposite the beehives.

Cyprus Wheatear is pretty widespread occurring from the holiday accommodation in which we are staying at Pissouri Bay to a good population at Mavrokolympus Dam as well as Episkopi (north of Paphos) and various other roadside sightings en route around the island.

We failed to find any roosting Cyprus Scops Owls at Episkopi where others have photographed roosting birds but tried yesterday evening after dark and we had at least four birds around the roads shown on the various eBird sightings with birds on wires and telegraph poles. We heard them also calling from below the village and our back up would have been to try the orchards to which Jos refers in this thread.

We spent an afternoon around Troodos and found the Jay, Coal Tit and Short-toed Treecreeper to be common but we did not bump into Crossbill. We were there relatively briefly and at a poor time of day.

All the best

Paul

A few pics - Cyprus Warbler, Cyprus Wheatear, Coal Tit, Jay & Short-toed Treecreeper. No pics for me of the Owl and we did not see the Crossbill.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Cyprus Warbler A.jpg
    Cyprus Warbler A.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Cyprus Wheatear A.jpg
    Cyprus Wheatear A.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Coal Tit A.jpg
    Coal Tit A.jpg
    715 KB · Views: 11
  • Jay A.jpg
    Jay A.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • Short-toed Treecreeper A.jpg
    Short-toed Treecreeper A.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back