• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dalian Birding (2 Viewers)

Dave,

Thanks for ids. Seems you did pretty well in the rain! I'm surprised you had a single Chinese bulbul - guess it's the season where they spread out more but they seem to be a pretty social bird. Am also interested you had so many yellow wags - I've sure seen a lot more white ones.

By the way, was the red-throated pipit on the ground? I'd like to see one of those.

cheers, Gretchen

Dave,

Thanks for ids. Seems you did pretty well in the rain! I'm surprised you had a single Chinese bulbul - guess it's the season where they spread out more but they seem to be a pretty social bird. Am also interested you had so many yellow wags - I've sure seen a lot more white ones.

By the way, was the red-throated pipit on the ground? I'd like to see one of those.

cheers, Gretchen

Hi Gretchen. The Yellow Wagtails are hit-and-miss and what I experienced can best be explained at a wagtail group fallout with the latest rain storm moving through the area. The white wagtails were mixed in that large flock as was the Red-throated Pipit. There were more pipits and even a thrush mixed in the flock of over 75 birds. I only reported what I could identify 100%. All of the birds were on/near the ground in some rocky/hilly coastline habitat that seemed to be a bunch of gravel/dirt piles that haven't been touched in 15 years. No trees, only scrub, etc.

Chinese Bulbuls are common here (range map needs adjusting in the new Brazil bird guide). We have a half-dozen always in the shrubs around our apartment. It is unusual to just see one.

Sounds like I can add 1 Sanderling to the list as well.

Enjoying the migration,
Dave Beeke

Hi Dave,

Well I thought I had finally gotten down sanderlings myself - forgot I only knew one plumage :eek!: good to see your pics and learn new things!

I'll also have to get the bug for going out in the "bad" weather - certainly worked well for you. Must have been something to see what was in a mixed flock of 75 - you did well it seems.

Funny that Brazil is wrong on the Chinese Bulbuls (as is MacK) Chinese birders have to be seeing them and making good reports - it's not as though they hide deep in the forests ;) (Well, maybe they do somewhere, but not around here.)

Gretchen

Sandflats Today

A very brief stop after work today on the sandflats allowed for a great experience with a flock of 11 Pacific Golden Plovers. 3 Common Redshanks were also present, but not as approachable. I didn't have time to do a survey of the sandflats, but Whimbrel, Little Ringed Plover, and Common Greenshanks were also obviously present. 2 Swinhoe's(Chinese) Egrets were nearby and a distant 12 egrets never were approached to be identified. Most likely there were some Chinese Egrets over there as well.

Nice day in the sun.

DB

Attachments

• Pacific Golden Plovers (1) (1024x768).jpg
    Pacific Golden Plovers (1) (1024x768).jpg
    176 KB · Views: 106
  • Pacific Golden Plovers (2) (1024x768).jpg
    Pacific Golden Plovers (2) (1024x768).jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 114
  • Common Redshanks (2) (1024x768).jpg
    Common Redshanks (2) (1024x768).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 100
  • Common Redshanks flying (1024x768).jpg
    Common Redshanks flying (1024x768).jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 135
  • While Daddy was birding... (1024x768).jpg
    While Daddy was birding... (1024x768).jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 128
Jinshitan Sandflats Again

I am hooked on the sandflats these days so used the precious little time after work to check them out again. I only observed a little area and didn't have time to see the whole sandflats as the Lesser Sand Plover took all my attention. I had not seen one this year yet and in breeding plumage in was looking so much sharper than last autumn's bird. So I was rather sedentary and enjoyed the bird walking close enough to me for a satisfactory photo. The Terek's flew right to me in the meantime!

Every day is different and today (in a very small area before dark) there were:

10 Terek Sandpipers
1 Lesser Sand Plover
4 Little Ringed Plovers
1 Common Greenshank
10 Whimbrel
25 Pacific Swift
2 Chinese (Swinhoe's) Egrets
20+ Black-tailed Gulls
2 White Wagtails (nesting)

The Chinese Egrets seem to be the most common Egret these days. I don't remember a day in the past 2 weeks when I haven't seen multiple Chinese Egrets. Some Little Egrets and the odd Great Egret, but Chinese is the most common here. May be of interest

All for today,
Dave Beeke
Jinshitan, China

Attachments

• Chinese Egret (1) (768x1024).jpg
    Chinese Egret (1) (768x1024).jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Chinese Egret (1024x768).jpg
    Chinese Egret (1024x768).jpg
    135 KB · Views: 40
  • Mongolian (Lesser Sand) Plover (1024x768).jpg
    Mongolian (Lesser Sand) Plover (1024x768).jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Terek Sandpipers (3) (1024x768).jpg
    Terek Sandpipers (3) (1024x768).jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Terek Sandpipers (2) (1024x768).jpg
    Terek Sandpipers (2) (1024x768).jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 41
Woods/Reservoir late this afternoon

It was another late afternoon jog out to a reservoir nearby.

Some interesting birds:

1 Lanceolated Warbler (First of Season)
1 Yellow Bittern (First of Season)
2 Striated Heron (First of Season)
1 Chinese Pond Heron
3 Grey Heron
1 Purple Heron (Life Bird - Obviously First of Season!)
2 Little Grebe
1 Cuckoo sp. (First of Season)
3 Black-naped Oriole (First of Season)

I will attach some photos of the Cuckoo. All help in the ID is most welcome!

DB

Attachments

• Cuckoo 1 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 1 (1024x768).jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 45
  • Cuckoo 2 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 2 (1024x768).jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 37
  • Cuckoo 3 (1024x768).jpg
    Cuckoo 3 (1024x768).jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 37
I've been too busy to get into BF for a few days, but it seems like you've been well and truly hooked by migration fever - fantastic to see all those Chinese Egrets!

Great stuff!

Mike

Saw the Cuckoo again today and this time it was calling with a loud "Cuc-koooo". I heard it a lot. I am asuming that this is the same bird as yesterday, so this would mean the photos are of a Eurasian Cuckoo. I have some photos from today but am heading out birding this afternoon so the tech. stuff can wait :)

Correct me if the ID is wrong,

Dave

May 16 Jinshitan, China

Spotted mainly along the coastline yesterday:

Several Common Pheasant
4 Mallard
25+ Spot-billed Ducks
1 Common Kingfisher
1 Eurasian Cuckoo
10+ Pacific Swift
Hill Pigeon
2 Oriental Turtle Dove
1 Common Moorhen
1 Snipe sp.
100+ Whimbrel
6 Common Greenshank
5 Common Sandpiper
1 Sanderling
11 Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
3 Long-toed Stint
4 Red-necked Stint
10+ Little Ringed Plover
3 Kentish Plover
4 Lesser Sand Plover
1 Greater Sand Plover
7 Eurasian Oystercatcher
40+ Black-tailed Gull
2 Little Egret
12 Chinese Egret
2 Chinese Pond Heron
1 Grey Heron
2 Striated Heron
1 Yellow Bittern
1 Brown Shrike
Common Magpie
4 Black-naped Oriole
2 Blue Rock Thrush
1 Asian Brown Flycatcher
6 Great Tit
Barn Swallow
3 Lanceolated Warbler
4 Vinous-throated Parrotbill
Eurasian Tree Sparrow
8 White Wagtail
2 Oriental Greenfinch
1 Little Bunting
1 Yellow-browed Bunting
4 Meadow Bunting
3 Black-faced Bunting

Attachments

• 4 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and a Long-toed Stint (1024x768).jpg
    4 Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and a Long-toed Stint (1024x768).jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Eurasian Oystercatchers (1024x768).jpg
    Eurasian Oystercatchers (1024x768).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Greater Sand Plover (3) (1024x768).jpg
    Greater Sand Plover (3) (1024x768).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 42
  • More Sharpies (1024x768).jpg
    More Sharpies (1024x768).jpg
    227 KB · Views: 40
  • Common Greenshank (1024x768).jpg
    Common Greenshank (1024x768).jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 43
Nice list! I wonder if your coastal area is quieter than ours - the convenient places with water and woods are quite full of people enjoying our lovely new boardwalk, but birds do not seem to be enjoying the changing scenery so much (trees coming down as well as boardwalk drawing people in.

Glad the cuckoo finally called, I was thinking that would clarify things nicely. Nice to see your Greater Sand Plover which I wasn't very aware of. The oystercatcher pic is quite nice!

Very interested in the orioles since I have yet to see one - assume they were up in the trees?

Enjoying your reports.

Hi all
u can also visit Yalujiang Estuary at the border with North Korea,which seems not too far away from u(Dandong city).
Although Spoon-billed Sandpiper dont visit there often,my birder friend in Dandong did see over 30 Nordmann's Greenshank last week.And 50,000 waterbirds.
Cheers!

Sicheng Islands

Had the great priviledge of joining the WWF count of Black-faced Spoonbills on Sicheng Islands (fairly close by) on Saturday.

We saw:
8 Black-faced Spoonbills (3 were young)
Vega Gulls
Black-headed Gulls
Black-tailed Gulls
Pelagic Cormorant
Oriental Honey Buzzards
1 Pechora Pipit
1 Gray's Warbler
Pacific Swift
Bar-tailed Godwit
Black-tailed Godwit
Lesser Sand Plover
Little Ringed Plover
Grey Plover
Terek Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Dunlin
Whimbrel
Far Eastern Curlew
Great Egret
Chinese Egret

And more!

A few photos attached. An awesome day!

Attachments

• Spoonbill (768x1024) (768x1024).jpg
    Spoonbill (768x1024) (768x1024).jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 46
  • Baby Spoonbill (768x1024).jpg
    Baby Spoonbill (768x1024).jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Spoonbill feeding (768x1024) (768x1024).jpg
    Spoonbill feeding (768x1024) (768x1024).jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Spoonbill flying (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg
    Spoonbill flying (1024x768) (1024x768).jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 39
  • That is a yap. (1024x768).jpg
    That is a yap. (1024x768).jpg
    271 KB · Views: 37
Hi Dave,

Some excellent records here Dave, especially the wader counts etc during your stay at Beidiahe (I've just returned, an interesting Spring with many late migrants Waxwings, Grosbeaks, Buntings etc with some classic overshoots such as Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher, Grey-backed Shrike etc).
The first warbler in post 9 is an Eastern-crowned IMO, the strength of head markings, bill and more significant, the lemon yellow undertail coverts and flank point to this species. Two barred Greenish tends to be a later migrant, arriving towards the end of the Yellow-browed movement though there are always a few that bend the rules. Congrats on the work on Black-faced Spoonbill and especially on the Gray's Grasshopper Warbler, a very difficult bird to get in NE China.

Hope your going to send these records in to the China Bird Report, it all helps in providing some ammunition to try and protect these sites in a current environment where change is just a blink of the eye!

Mark

What an honour to see a BFS breeding colony!

I share Mark's views on getting Gray's Grasshopper Warbler - a real megatick in China. any pix?

How many Pelagic Cormorant did you see? That's another bird I need in China.

Cheers
Mike

Pelagic Cormorants nest on the island there, but I only saw 1 (great views). I was told that they are regular visitors as usually in a group of 4 or more. I don't have pics but the others do.

One of the WWF birders has pics of the Gray's Warbler. I don't have pics again..sorry :(. It certainly is a large warbler though. Seemed to like being hidden in the bottom of the shrubs.

DB

Breeding Pelagic Cormorant - wow! another good reason to go to Dalian!

Gray's is supposed to be a monster.

Do you know if the WWF guys will post pix ?

Yes,very delayed spring migration as in last year after the heavy snow 2007/2008.
20+ Pechora Pipit,many Black-browed Reed Warbler,a few Arctic Warbler and Dark-sided Flycatcher and one Grey-headed Canary Flycatcher around these days in Shanghai.

I also had a Pechora Pipit up here last week. When we parted ways, I was going to get some pictures emailed to me, but haven't had that yet. If I get them, I will ask if I can post them here.

Birding is very quiet here right now...a couple of Dollarbirds already, lots of Orioles around, not much else. Sandflats are deserted :(.

DB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back