• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damaged Monarch 7s (2 Viewers)

bandedwren

United States
Slipped on a rock and unfortunately damaged my Monarch 7s. The entire eyepiece apparatus came loose and would result in double images. I disassembled/removed the eyepiece down to the prism. What I noticed was that one of the two threads for the tiny 1/4 inch screw that attaches the eye piece to the prism was stripped. I suspect the force at an angle caused the small thread to strip and the screw to come loose. I couldn't find any local repair shops in Maine to help guide me on a fix. With larger threads you can use something like JB Weld to create new threads, but I don't think / know if it would work on such a small scale. The width of the thread has to be 1/16 inch. I've reached out to Nikon for assistance, too. The only thing I can think of now is to use glue to permanently affix the screw in place (hopefully!). I know these binoculars aren't meant for rough play, but it's a little disappointing to see that a one-time impact would cause irreparable damage due to the size/number of the screws.

Any help is appreciated!

Monarch7.jpg

I'm just going to jump in here and wish you a warm welcome from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like ;)

It's possible the prisms were knocked out of alignment with one another too. I think the binoculars are toast, but for your sake hope otherwise.
~ Foss

A return to Nikon for warranty service may be warranted (sorry) if they're still under warranty and you haven't voided it.

I would send them in to Nikon for an estimate. If you don't like it, you can have them shipped back and are only out the postage. You might try calling Suddarth Optical and they may be able to help as well. They may be able to answer your questions better and be more helpful than Nikons customer service reps who aren't usually very helpful.

You do get what you pay for, and possibly a Leica, or Swaro would have faired better.
But regardless... NO binoculars are expected to take a hit like that, (until G-SHOCK enter the optics world) ....and if you did knock a Leica that hard, even if you got away with it, you would be mighty pissed off i'm sure.
I would try an insurance claim, but probably write those off.... not really worth the hassle.
These things happen.
Nice to actually get out and use your gear though.
Sorry for your incident.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back