• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dark-sided or Gray-streaked Flycatcher? Guangxi, China (1 Viewer)

Barbets48

Seen in past week in Guangxi, elevation 200m. Seen in area of secondary forest edges.
These (bad quality) photos are possibly of two different individuals (maybe just one). Seen in one area over course of 5 minutes.

Mike

Attachments

• DSC08066.JPG
    DSC08066.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 39
  • DSC08073.JPG
    DSC08073.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 33
  • DSC08082.JPG
    DSC08082.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC08049.JPG
    DSC08049.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 38
  • DSC08055 (2).JPG
    DSC08055 (2).JPG
    931 KB · Views: 39
The last one (8055) is surely Dark-sided. All the others are not. If Grey-streaked, the streaking is quite pale. Might they just be Asian Brown?

I think all photos look good for Dark-sided on structure (eg small head, short bill, long wings) and plumage (dark plumage, slightly streaked below, broad white eye-ring, 'hooded' head pattern). They definitely don't look like Grey-streaked, which should be cleaner below, with better defined dark streaking.

I think all photos look good for Dark-sided on structure (eg small head, short bill, long wings) and plumage (dark plumage, slightly streaked below, broad white eye-ring, 'hooded' head pattern). They definitely don't look like Grey-streaked, which should be cleaner below, with better defined dark streaking.
To me, the last bird looks completely different to the others. And the others, if I had taken them, would just go down as Asian Brown. Do you really not think they are too pale altogether for Dark-sided? Or are you suggesting they might be juveniles?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back