• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead great tit (2 Viewers)

JayFeatherPL

Poland
Hi, I found a dead great tit in my garden (with feeder) under the stair. It had wry neck. A few days ago I saw a great tit, which struck the window twice and flew away and I think it's the same bird - it could fly into the stair and die; I think it had disturbed orientation. Is it just an accident or is it an illness? Can I still feed the birds in my garden or should I stop doing this, because more birds can get infected?

If you don't have curtains (and, particularly, if there is an unobstructed view through two of your windows on opposite sides of the house), birds might think that there is a flyway and, consequently, collide with your windows. Some further advice here:
If you are worried about birds hitting the glass, have a look at the attachment (pages 18-19 or 20-21 depending how you count) and Acopian BirdSavers — Prevent birds from flying into windows.
or just have a look at Kolizje ptaków z budynkami lub ekranami - OTOP (🇵🇱)

Attached are photos of a Great Tit that died from impact with a glass wall of a Warsaw Metro entrance (it's facing away from the wall). Your Great Tit might of course have suffered from something else.

Attachments

• 20221028_164621.jpg
    20221028_164621.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • 20221028_164611.jpg
    20221028_164611.jpg
    1,017.3 KB · Views: 9
If you don't have curtains (and, particularly, if there is an unobstructed view through two of your windows on opposite sides of the house), birds might think that there is a flyway and, consequently, collide with your windows. Some further advice here:

Attached are photos of a Great Tit that died from impact with a glass wall of a Warsaw Metro entrance (it's facing away from the wall). Your Great Tit might of course have suffered from something else.
Well I have curtains and it's

Thanks for the answer, it was the first and only accident, when a bird hit the window in my garden (I have curtains and there's no view through two of the windows of the opposite sides of the house), I think that the great tit had some health problem - If I see more dead birds in my garden (which I doubt) I will stop feeding birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back