• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby great tits (1 Viewer)

Kelizabeth13

United Kingdom
There is a great tit nesting in a 1.5 meter long metal pile with an opening of about 3 inches. There are 5 hatched babies, approximately around 8-11 days old, in the nest and she seems to be regularly feeding them.
There are magpies that stand near by but that hasn’t scared the mother off yet. The babies are not sheltered from the rain and we have had weeks of hot weather 25-30 degrees Celsius and today it is raining. She has nested right at the bottom of the pipe at ground level and the only way out is to fly up.
My concerns are, how are the birds going to grow and fit inside of that pipe, 5 of them! How will she discard of any dead ones should some die, and how will the fledglings come out of that pipe. The diameter is around 3 inches

Please let me know any advice. I’m more than prepared to help should I need to. I have a lot of experience with birds and have all the equipment, incubators, brooders, syringes, access to suitable food, etc.

Welcome to BirdForum.

It is illegal to interfere with a nest, so you must leave well alone. They will find a way out when they are ready to fledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back