• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deal breaker characteristics by habitat (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
I propose identifying max 3 non-negotiable characteristics (for binoculars) by habitats you know.

Here is what I think:
Open woodland: 10x, Porro prisms, superior FOV.
I decided for Porro binoculars because some models offer a superior DOF (probably because of the field curvature). I do not want to promote this subject in this threat, it was already discussed.
Forest (deciduous): 8x with quick focus.
Quick focus really helps observing restless birds at short distance.
Wetland (rivers and lakes only): 12x, resolution and CA
Rivers and lakes are really large (let say 300m-2000m) and a 12x magnification helps.
I observed from my tests that 12x binoculars do not always have a resolution superior to the 10x ones in the same model, hence the importance of this characteristics.
In my experience, CA is more visible when observing birds on the water, therefore more attention is needed for the CA.

Also:
This is not about what model is perfect in all habitats. Nor how many or what binoculars you own.

Edit:
Evergreen Forest: ?
Wetland (coastal waters): ?
Overgrown Grassland: ?
Backyard: ?
Other habitats?

Last edited:
Optoen woodland: 8x power (spend a lot of time looking up at simr severe angles and I find 10x is just too shaky for such an activity), good CA correction (branches in a bright environment is the time I see it the most), good glare control (again, looking up, particularly into darker branches with a bright sky glare can ruin the view).

Forest: 8x at most (although having recently owned a 7x42 I am convinced I will be looking for a 6-7 power bino for my main woodland bin as the increased depth of field is very useful for close in quick moving critters!)
Wide fov (again see close in moving critters, it is imperative to find your target quickly and I find in the forest you often don't need as much reach), close focus (in the forest it is more frequent that birds will be right up next to you and even if I don't  need binoculars when they are that close i like to be able to bring every bird into focus).

Wetlands: this is trickier as I would bring a scope but assuming I have to go with only binoculars... at least 15x (long distances), stabilization of some kind (tripod or IS), glare control (water can be nasty for glare problems).

This is not about what model is perfect in all habitats. Nor how many or what binoculars you own.
No model is perfect for all habitats! If it was how would I justify how many binoculars I want to own (all of them) 😉.

I propose identifying max 3 non-negotiable characteristics (for binoculars) by habitats you know.

Here is what I think:
Open woodland: 10x, Porro prisms, superior FOV.
I decided for Porro binoculars because some models offer a superior DOF (probably because of the field curvature). I do not want to promote this subject in this threat, it was already discussed.
Forest (deciduous): 8x with quick focus.
Quick focus really helps observing restless birds at short distance.
Wetland (rivers and lakes only): 12x, resolution and CA
Rivers and lakes are really large (let say 300m-2000m) and a 12x magnification helps.
I observed from my tests that 12x binoculars do not always have a resolution superior to the 10x ones in the same model, hence the importance of this characteristics.
In my experience, CA is more visible when observing birds on the water, therefore more attention is needed for the CA.

Also:
Like you, I typically choose 8x for forests and 10x for open areas, though I don't own a 10x porro. And I've had good viewing experiences at rivers and lakes using 10x and 8x optics. With 12x (or 16x), shake has been too much of an issue. (To keep weight down I never carry a tripod and seldom use a monopod.)

I like this method! Of course many bird outings are combinations of the different habits so it makes choosing a single pair of binos more interesting. For me 8x is more the hybrid, I have a couple 7x's and I prefer them for closed-in woodlands. I have 12x for winter seabirds from land. 8 or 10x gets chosen for a mix of habitats.

Another "habitat" or category is astronomy for some. Aperture plays a bigger role there, you'll need at least a 42mm or ideally 50-60mm+ and 8 or 10x.

For any woodland/forest habitat: 6x/7x binoculars plus a scope.

For open habitats (wetlands, coastal waters, mountains, fjell): 10x stabilised plus a scope.

Hermann

Do you use the binocular to spot the bird and the scope to view it?
Me too. In fact while walking I carry the scope in one hand and use the free hand spot with my Canon 8x20 IS to decide when and where to setup. Is gives amazingly stable views with only one hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back