• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Decided on 10x30 is II against alpha non stabilised (1 Viewer)

truculenter aspicientis

Hi all.
Been after some binoculars for a while, I was tempted by the small curios by Swarovski, but then I thought, while using them and other binoculars I noticed the micro shake while viewing took away the actual detail of birds, or anything for that matter.
So I decided today to buy some canon 10x30 is II.
I did breifly have to original 10x30 is a few years ago and remember thinking I can see so much more detail I could see because it's so steady.
I now the optics aren't going to be Swarovski quality, but sometimes you have to take a hit on something for other advantages. I'm sure there still very clear.
I don't know what the is II advantages are but can anyone fill me with confidence in my purchase.😁
Hopefully here tomorrow.
Thanks Gary

Last edited:
Hi all.
Been after some binoculars for a while, I was tempted by the small curios by Swarovski, but then I thought, while using them and other binoculars I noticed the micro shake while viewing took away the actual detail of birds, or anything for that matter.
I did breifly have to original 10x30 is a few years ago and remember thinking I can see so much more detail I could see because it's so steady.
I now the optics aren't going to be Swarovski quality, but sometimes you have to take a hit on something for other advantages. I'm sure there still very clear.
I don't know what the is II advantages are but can anyone fill me with confidence in my purchase.😁
Hopefully here tomorrow.
Thanks Gary

Hi all.
Hopefully here tomorrow.
Thanks Gary
Good choice, Gary. When I bought my Canon IS 12x36 lToll bins three years ago, my Swarovski 8x42s got relegated to the car glovebox (actually the car door, but you know what I mean), and only come out when it's pouring with rain, or in woodland where the greater field of view makes it easier to find things.

I consistently see detail through the Canons that my wife cannot see in her Leica bins.

I happily confess to being a birdwatcher rather than a binocular enthusiast, and I've never been troubled by the things with the Canons that the binbuffs fret about so much.

Just stick a couple of spare batteries in your pocket, and go and enjoy the birds! You've made a good decision.

Jeff

Good decision. You'll get more details on the birds than with any conventional 10x binoculars no matter how much it costs. Just be a bit careful in wet weather!

Hermann
Thanks for the info, that's my thinking from a brief experience with the MK1 10x30is.
I wonder why all the birders with Swarovski can't see the advantages?
Surely I'd rather spend 1500ukp on the L 15x50 is similar than over 2000ukp so non is Swarovski.
Thanks Gary

Thanks for the info, that's my her spend 1500ukp on the L 15x50 is similar than over 2000ukp so non is Swarovski.
Well, the conventional binoculars have usually better ergonomics. They are also much "nicer" in some ways and have got better optics than the Canons. They're also usually fully waterproof. The only Canon with worldclass optics is the 10x42 IS that is also waterproof - but heavy and somewhat unwieldy.

In addition I think the Canons are more susceptible to damage, they're not as robust and have shorter warranties. BUT you'll get a heck of a lot more detail on the bird because of the stabiliser!

BTW, I think the 10x30 IS may well be the sweetspot in the Canon lineup. Reasonable price, fairly low weight, decent optics.

Hermann

Well, the conventional binoculars have usually better ergonomics. They are also much "nicer" in some ways and have got better optics than the Canons. They're also usually fully waterproof. The only Canon with worldclass optics is the 10x42 IS that is also waterproof - but heavy and somewhat unwieldy.

In addition I think the Canons are more susceptible to damage, they're not as robust and have shorter warranties. BUT you'll get a heck of a lot more detail on the bird because of the stabiliser!

BTW, I think the 10x30 IS may well be the sweetspot in the Canon lineup. Reasonable price, fairly low weight, decent optics.

Hermann
Hermann
Thanks, initial try they are amazing..wow the IS makes a works of difference.
Seeing much more detail than my Swarovski 8x20b.

Why not, it's a very personal choice, and a good choice.
But personally I would never sacrifice the ergonomics and super high visual quality of NL's for this bulky thing around my neck while trekking.
If I want to observe birds for a while, I install my binoculars on a monopod in seconds (Velbon Super8), and the observation is perfectly stable and clear.
But for sure, it's fun to use those Canon IS, I know ;)

Good choice. The Canon 10x30 IS II are one of the best of the Canon's. I have the Canon 12x36 IS III and I have an NL 8x32 for my main birding binocular. I can see way more detail with the Canon's than I can with my Swarovski's. I am able to read distant signs with the Canon that I can't begin to read with the NL. I think the Canon 10x30 IS ii and 12x36 IS III are the two best Canon's for a birder, with the Canon 10x42 IS-L being just too bulky and heavy for me anymore. How easy is your diopter to move and are your binoculars made in Taiwan or Japan. It is labeled under the bridge.

Had a brilliant night with them tonight birding, I seriously can just see details I've never seen with non IS.
Mine are Taiwan.. The dioptre is firm but quite easy to move.
Thanks Gary

Hi Truculenter. Good choice. I have been through an embarrassing number of binos in the last quarter century (I tried to remember all of them recently and stopped at 58). Mostly "high end", at least for their day. My most used bino now is the Canon IS 8x20...light, compact, and better views with IS engaged than my Zeiss TFL or Nikon SE 10x42. The Canon IS 10x30 (I've owned two) is a great choice, and not much bigger than the IS 8x20. Superb glass costs a lot of money, but superior views of birds comes with IS.

Hi Truculenter. Good choice. I have been through an embarrassing number of binos in the last quarter century (I tried to remember all of them recently and stopped at 58). Mostly "high end", at least for their day. My most used bino now is the Canon IS 8x20...light, compact, and better views with IS engaged than my Zeiss TFL or Nikon SE 10x42. The Canon IS 10x30 (I've owned two) is a great choice, and not much bigger than the IS 8x20. Superb glass costs a lot of money, but superior views of birds comes with IS.
I've not yet even noticed any CA.. I don't know what glass they use buy it's blooming good.😁

My Canon 12x36 IS III has quite a bit of CA on the edge, but higher magnification binoculars usually do. The 12x36 IS III isn't much bigger than the 10x30 IS II. For the price, the Canon's have quite good optics. As you said your self, they are not alpha level, but the big difference is they are steady. I have been getting a little arthritis in my shoulder, so I bought the little Canon 8x20 IS that Sancho has. I have had it before, and it is superb, and it is only 14 oz. so it will be easier to hold for extended periods and I will probably see more detail with it than my NL 8x32. Maybe I will just keep the two Canon's and sell the NL.

Last edited:
Well, you've saved yourself an awful lot of money and yet you will see more detail than anyone using a +2500 $ "alpha". 😉

(You could end the sentence there, or else think about the many drawbacks of the IS compared to an alpha. However, that doesn't change the above. All good. Enjoy!)

Well, you've saved yourself an awful lot of money and yet you will see more detail than anyone using a +2500 $ "alpha". 😉

(You could end the sentence there, or else think about the many drawbacks of the IS compared to an alpha. However, that doesn't change the above. All good. Enjoy!)
I am kind of like you when I use the NL 8x32 I miss the IS but when I use the Canon 12x36 IS III I miss the alpha view. I wish Canon would make an 8x32 IS with ED glass like 10x42 IS-L with an 8 degree FOV and a weight of about 22 oz. I would definitely buy one.

Great thread and thank you to all those who recommended the Canon IS bino's.

My wife suffers from a bit of handshake and found 8x and 10x bino's difficult to keep steady. She found my Habicht 7x42's to be so much better but still a bit of movement was noticeable. A pair of Canon IS 10x30 II bino's were ordered from WEX and delivered yesterday.

Well to say she is delighted would be an understatement, they are rock steady and she can see subjects so much better than before. We went for the 10x's rather than the 8's as the rubber coating is so much better for her to hold and AA batteries are much more common than CR123A's (and are rechargeable).

Is the view better than my 10x42 NL Pure's? No it is not, but the the fantastic little Canon's are not too far behind when that magical stabiliser button is pressed on.

The case is poor and offers little or no protection so a Billingham Galbin 10 is on order.

The Habicht's have been returned to their rightful owner. Me.

Last edited:
Glad your wife is enjoying the binoculars, I'm made up with mine, the smiles I have only face when I use these can't be helped. There a preferred view for me compared to my swaros. The brilliant thing is even looking in the direction of the sun, (not at it) you get no glare or anything and the view is stunning, I don't know what coating are used but they sure best my swaros for that!
Watching opsrey today and hunting kestrel at local reservoir.
The things you can pick out in detail is stunning..
Enjoy them she will..
Thanks Gary 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back