• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Detering Magpies ? (1 Viewer)

Is it possible for you to use caged type feeders so that only the smaller birds can access the ports?

Apart from Kits suggestion RS the only other suggestion is to learn to live with them. We get loads here along with heaps of Jackdaws. Once they've had their fill the other birds get their chance. The one thing I have noticed is how nervous they are. If I just stand in the window they tend to fly off.

Sorry to not be of much help,

Rich

Thanks

Two good points.

To Kit - I bought a Squirrel-proof Feeder after my first was torn apart by them .... and squirrels have never been seen once near my (expensive) replacement Feeder - they must see just what they are up against from afar !
Maybe magpies have equally good reasoning at the first sight of a 'cage' .... but I suspect is would rock and disgourge contents after dive-bombing equally easily.

To Clark - Yes just sitting back and keeping up the re-filling is probably wisest.

Thanks for your interest.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back